Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Russian Circles

Started by whodunit?, Dec 31, 2008, 02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lostpilot

The last couple of seconds of the track really remind me of The Appleseed Cast, and that's a compliment.

That will be a very good album indeed

Crazylegs

New material sounds really good. Looking forward to hearing the album in its entirety.

lostpilot

I will be seeing them = new album in October.
Gotta love Vilnius rock/metal scene, some better names arrive here and there.

krook

I don't like this band just because of the word "Russian" in the name.
I hate White Pony.

digital bath

Quote from: krook on Jul 30, 2016, 07:12 PM

And why you don't like the word Russian?
Russian Circles is a good band, but there are dozens of better post rock bands (also some of Russia).

theis

Quote from: digital bath on Jul 31, 2016, 02:47 PM
but there are dozens of better post rock bands

Nah.

When it comes to instrumental post-rock/metal, nobody does it better than Russian Circles.

bebo

Gonna add this to my grocery list

E-Money

Yup gonna give it a spin tonight. Pumped. They always deliver.

Crazylegs

lostpilot

Quote from: theis on Aug 01, 2016, 09:50 AM

Nah.

When it comes to instrumental post-rock/metal, nobody does it better than Russian Circles.

WEEEEEEEELLLLL....

theis

Quote from: lostpilot on Aug 04, 2016, 09:32 PM
Quote from: theis on Aug 01, 2016, 09:50 AM

Nah.

WEEEEEEEELLLLL....

The new album is further proof of my statement ;)

lostpilot

Theis, are you trying to tell me that Russian Circles do it better than, say, Explosions in the Sky, This Will Destroy You, Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor or Isis in their best days?

Yeah, Russian Circles are pretty fucking bad ass, but doesn't it sometimes feel pretty formulaic and predictable whereas other bands have their own more distinct sound? Don't get me wrong, I love pretty much everything by Russian Circles but I can't really believe that you, after listening to countless albums, would say that they're THE band.

MUCH LOVE

theis

I'm just teasing ya. Personally though, I like Russian Circles more than the bands you mentioned (except Isis, whom I don't really think can be compared).

Russian Circles have a very distinguised sound and Brian Cook is probably in my top 3 favorite bass players. His sound and tone is just massive. Sure, they use the same recipe from album to album, but I still think all their albums are unique in their own way.

lostpilot

After giving the album a couple of detailed listening sessions, I like it, but there are some flaws to it in my ears.

It feels more like a palette of sounds, a collage of various rhythms and ideas that follow one direction; there is a togetherness quality to the album but at the same time it's just a little detached. Like, yes, the genre of their music require some detachment but in some parts it feels like the instrumental version of an album which actually features vocals. Not all of it, but there are plenty of spaces for additional instruments etc. So yeah, but I have no doubts that it will sound grand and amazing live, cause these guys are professionals and you can hear it. Still, some moments I felt like something was missing.

Overall, five squirrels out of possible seven

Crazylegs

Personally I'd actually put Russian Circles above Explosions in the sky, This will destroy you, and Mogwai. And I'm not sure I agree with them being all that formulaic. And even if you describe it that way, I mean, Explosions in the sky are formulaic as fuck.

I'd say Russian Circles are closer to post metal than anything. They sound good in my ears anyway. This album is on heavy rotation for me.

lostpilot

I think what bothers me the most is the composition of the album. It's just not out there enough - technically the band is perfect, the energy is perfect, but the songs are just not that creative or something.

NO HATIN' THO, it's all good

Crazylegs

Saw these fools last night. Jeez. SO good. If i have one complaint it's that all my favorites were toward the beginning of the show, so there was a bit of a descending curve as it went on, from my very subjective standpoint. All in all amazing, though. They played Baraka on the projectors, that was pretty captivating as well, worked well with the music.