Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones facebook/twitter/myspace/website updates.

Started by beLIEve, May 05, 2009, 11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rainnyx4

Around the Fur was good but not perfect.  I'd put it on equal footing with SNW and DE.

I've said it a million times, the songwriting on S/T was lazy and uninspired.  The band has admitted as much.  It didn't matter who was producing them at the time or how "dark" that album was (I don't know what you guys' obsession with darkness is, are you still 13 and angry at your ex-girlfriend?), the work ethic wasn't there and it showed.  If the band can keep up the work ethic and progressive song writing they had with KNY, I'm all for them going back to Terry Date as I think he really does capture their sound better.  But if they sink back to being lazy like they were on S/T (or even potentially Eros given how "Smile" sounds) then I'd rather them stick with Nick.

Inkblades

If you dislike S/T so much, why do you have one of its songs lyrics under your name?

elite54

Hexagram, Needles and Pins, WGTB, and Bloody Cape are some of the great Deftones songs. So only 13 year olds who are mad at their ex-girlfriends like this album? Good to know.

Jesus2Chino

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Oct 28, 2014, 03:14 AM
Around the Fur was good but not perfect.  I'd put it on equal footing with SNW and DE.

I've said it a million times, the songwriting on S/T was lazy and uninspired.  The band has admitted as much.  It didn't matter who was producing them at the time or how "dark" that album was (I don't know what you guys' obsession with darkness is, are you still 13 and angry at your ex-girlfriend?), the work ethic wasn't there and it showed.  If the band can keep up the work ethic and progressive song writing they had with KNY, I'm all for them going back to Terry Date as I think he really does capture their sound better.  But if they sink back to being lazy like they were on S/T (or even potentially Eros given how "Smile" sounds) then I'd rather them stick with Nick.

Anger has nothing to do with it further than it's an emotion, and ST is completely saturated and dripping with emotion. Although I honestly can't see how KNY has more "progressive" song writing than ST, since neither of us would be able to concede to the other's opinion, we'll put that aside. In my mind, ST is their most emotional, honest, and transparent album, which is why it's probably my favorite. What emotions an album reflects really doesn't matter to me, but all of my favorite albums, by this band and all others, feel like honest emotional experiences to me. I think more than the sound or songwriting style, I just crave that honest feeling. Maybe you get that vibe from KNY and DE, in which case all the power to you, but sadly I don't; they have their moments of course, but as entire cohesive and consistent emotional experiences, for me, they fall short. I don't think Nick is a bad producer, although I also don't think he's as talented as Date, but I think Date has a way of keeping them honest with themselves. I get the feeling Nick is very hands-on and has a lot of input in the writing process (though I could be wrong about that). Terry seems hands-on only insofar as he's able to hear the cohesive sound that will pull an album together and he focuses on drawing that sound out. I just want raw emotion and a cohesive, progressive feel; not progressive like prog or something completely different, progressive as in from track to track. I don't care if every song makes me want to skip through a grassy field as long as it's apparent that that's what they were feeling at the time and they honestly convey those emotions without any pretense or apparent affectation. Anywho, just my two cents on the matter, in the end my opinion isn't worth any more than yours.

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

endstand

Jesus2Chino, you have a good point there.
hello memory lover, you are mine

E-Money

I just want Terry to mic that snare drum for Abe!  No one else has been able to capture the sound like Terry did on White Pony.  With a drummer as talented as Abe its just incredible when you get the sound right.  Terry rocks.  I hope this is happening! 

wheresmysnare

Quote from: E-Money on Oct 28, 2014, 11:34 PM
I just want Terry to mic that snare drum for Abe!  No one else has been able to capture the sound like Terry did on White Pony.  With a drummer as talented as Abe its just incredible when you get the sound right.  Terry rocks.  I hope this is happening! 

yeah white pony sounds different to pretty much anything, although it does sound a bit like My Bloody Valentine's Loveless album - which they based the production on. also i agree on abe, his drums on that record were perfect for me, the mix was so nice and the whole kit sounded perfect.

I also prefer stefs tone and tuning on white pony, not a huge fan of the ever decreasing tunings but what can you do eh.

nicklav

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Oct 29, 2014, 10:03 AM
Quote from: E-Money on Oct 28, 2014, 11:34 PM

yeah white pony sounds different to pretty much anything, although it does sound a bit like My Bloody Valentine's Loveless album - which they based the production on. also i agree on abe, his drums on that record were perfect for me, the mix was so nice and the whole kit sounded perfect.

I also prefer stefs tone and tuning on white pony, not a huge fan of the ever decreasing tunings but what can you do eh.

The single string chugging on a lot of newer songs is what irks me more than anything. Dude has 8 strings... use them all the time!

DeftonesNZ

Yeah i think he's always had a tendency to stay on the low strings but on the 8 it can mean it just ends up sounding muddy and his newer playing doesn't always cut through the mix like I would like.

Quote from: Inkblades on Oct 28, 2014, 05:12 AM
If you dislike S/T so much, why do you have one of its songs lyrics under your name?

lol

life always finds a way to relate metaphors to the deaf and blind in any situation...whether known or not

Northcal

Hexagram-needles & pinz-bloody cape-minerva-lovers)I guess wat I'm trying to say if you don't like S/T sukk a dick!!

rainnyx4

I have a quote from S/T under my name because Anniversary is one of the few truly great songs from that album.  Album was lazy and uninspired as hell.  Like half of the songs either sound like a rehash of something they've done before or sound like they got 3/4 the way through writing the song and then called it a day.

Vesanic

Tell me how Hexagram, Needles, Lucky You, Lovers, WGTB or even the very simple Good Morning Beautiful sound like anything they did beforehand.

E-Money

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Oct 30, 2014, 06:30 PM
I have a quote from S/T under my name because Anniversary is one of the few truly great songs from that album.  Album was lazy and uninspired as hell.  Like half of the songs either sound like a rehash of something they've done before or sound like they got 3/4 the way through writing the song and then called it a day.

I'm sorry but that's nonsense.

nicklav

There is so much to love about that album I don't even know where to start. Just listen to Chino's voice on Moana. Chills, every time.

III

Idk I have a time and a place for every deftones album throughout the year.
K heres what my usual phase is:

January-February = Adrenaline
March-April = SNW
May = ATF
June = DE
July-August = WP
September-October = ST
November = KNY
December = Adrenaline

Just kindof usually how I feel. Every album is different. thats what makes the band so iconic. Like literally no album is really the same. even KNY and DE are noticeably different from each other.

cvthedrv

Quote from: III on Oct 31, 2014, 12:41 AM
Idk I have a time and a place for every deftones album throughout the year.
K heres what my usual phase is:

January-February = Adrenaline
March-April = SNW
May = ATF
June = DE
July-August = WP
September-October = ST
November = KNY
December = Adrenaline

Just kindof usually how I feel. Every album is different. thats what makes the band so iconic. Like literally no album is really the same. even KNY and DE are noticeably different from each other.

yeah, it is kind of silly but i feel it the same way too.

cvthedrv

Penicks

^for reference:

Quote from: Cullision on Oct 31, 2014, 11:15 PM
Chino said the new Deftones album is not going to be produced by Nick and unfortunately it isn't Terry Date either. He said the name but I can't remember it. He also explained the whole record store day live recordings releases thing. He said they want to do around the fur, but that they are having a hard time getting material from that era. He said it had to do with it being the time when people were switching from vhs to dvd, tape to cd, etc. All of the places he's contacted just don't have the material he wants. He also said that soon he is going to do a cover of the Madonna song "crazy for you", because the show "stalker" asked him to.

god damn it