Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Mark Lanegan

Started by theis, Aug 20, 2009, 09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

This musical genius deserves his own thread.

He was the frontman of one of the best and most underrated bands of the 90's - Screaming Trees. He's also been involved with Queens of the Stone Age (lead vocals on the songs: In the Fade, Song for the Dead, Hangin' Tree, God Is in the Radio and This Lullaby). 

Furthermore, he's in the band The Gutter Twins with Afghan Whigs/current Twilight Singers vocalist Greg Dulli.

He's also been collaborating with electronica artist Ian Glover. Their project is called Soulsavers and their latest album, Broken, is absolutely incredible. Check it:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/6caex5

The Gutter Twins (their only studio album)
http://rapidshare.com/files/242525613/tgt-2008-satur.by.metalosorio.zip

Screaming Trees discography
http://www.taringa.net/posts/musica/1977762/Screaming-Trees-%5BDiscograf%C3%ADa%5D.html

Mascara Snake

Lanegan is a Legend and the Album kicks fucking ass.

One of the most productive artists in the last 10-15 years.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

theis

Damn straight! I knew I could count on you in this thread, haha. :D You actually made me discover Screaming Trees.

the deft ones

Cool album, and Lanegan is a machine.
The song with Patton - Unbalanced Pieces - is the shit.
Cheers for the upload.

theis

Yeah I've been listening to Unbalanced Pieces on repeat. Incredible song.

Crazylegs

I've only heard his work with qotsa, but his voice is so cool. What kind of music did screaming trees play, do you have any bands to compare them with?

theis

Hmm, they were around the same time as Pearl Jam, Soundgarden etc and were a part of the grunge scene.

I'd call it alternative. Check out their album called "Sweet Oblivion". One of my favorite albums from the 90's. Really incredible.

Also check out the Soulsavers album I posted. Awesome stuff.

Crazylegs

Mascara Snake

Was supposed to stay with some friends in Manchester for the start of the football season but couldnt go cause im broke and jobless at the minute, turns out if i had have gone I would have been offered a spare ticket to Pear Jam and the Soulsavers were playing the week after, fuckin Raging!

I like 'Some Misunderstanding' and 'Unbalanced Pieces'

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

Mascara Snake

Is doing an Acoustic European tour, just him an a guitarist.  This is not to be missed, got my Ticket for Belfast already.

pinkmaggit

Mark Lanegan is finally releasing a new solo album following 2004's mindblowingly brilliant 'Bubblegum'
One of my favourite singers with Bubblegum being one of my favourite albums of all time, if you haven't heard it yet, you should really give it a listen.
For those who don't know, Mark Lanegan was the singer for 'Screaming Trees', one of grunge's early pioneers.

Kurt Cobain was a big fan of the band and had a long friendship with Mark, some of his letters to Mark, some asking for advice, can be found in Kurt's journals.
The two of them worked on a 'Leadbelly' project together which unfortunately never saw the light of day.
Kurt contributed backing vocals to 'Down in the Dark' on Lanegan's debut solo album 'The Winding Sheet'.

Lanegan released 2 more solo albums - 1994's 'Whiskey for the Holy Ghost' and 2001's 'Field Songs'.
I think that 'Field Songs' is the stronger of the 2 with some really great songs on it (check out 'No Easy Action', 'Miracle', 'One Way Street' and the hauntingly beautiful instrumental 'Blues for D') but neither come close to 'Bubblegum' which is widely regarded as the high point of his career.
I honestly have never heard anything bad being said about this album, it's just that good!

Mark Lanegan is/was also one half of 'the Gutter Twins', a band he formed with ex 'Afghan Wigs' frontman Greg Dulli.
The Gutter Twins debut album 'Saturnalia' is well worth a listen, or a few thousand!
The Gutter Twins are currently on hiatus - I don't know if it's just because the respective members just needed time to work on other projects or if it was for some other reason - I've love to know if anyone happens to know anything more - I don't really know much about Dulli - I never really listened to the Afghan Wigs, although The Gutter Twins has got me interested and I'll be looking for some of their albums to give a spin.

Lanegan's also released 3 collaborative albums with Isobelle Campbell.
I'm not a fan of Campbells but found it worth the listen all the same, if only for Lanegan's contributions.
Oh yes, if you didn't know, Lanegan was also a member of 'Queens of the Stone Age'.
In fact when QOTSA started, it was originally supposed to be his band.
I think he was having some legal issues at the time and so Homme went ahead without him on QOTSA's first album (at his request).
He contributed vocals to 2002's  'Songs for the Deaf', which is probably why I regard it as QOTSA's best work to date, and to a lesser extent on 2005's 'Lullabies to Paralyze', the last QOTSA in which he was an official member.

He is still a good friend of the band and hopefully will contribute towards some more songs or albums in the future.
I really hope he becomes a full time member again and contributes as much as he did on 'Songs for the Deaf' - the shared vocal duties just added so much more variety and interest to the album.
On some tracks you actually have to take a little while to work out who's singing at first (Nick Olivieri also songs on some of the songs), which makes for some very interesting listening.
QOTSA's live performances of 'Hangin Tree' and 'Auto Pilot'  with Mark on lead vocals remain 2 of the best live performances I have ever heard.
I posted them before but just to refresh your memories:

Queens of the Stone Age - Hangin' Tree (live)

Queens of the Stone Age - Auto Pilot

I've also posted this before somewhere but for those who missed it, here's a demonstration of Mark Lanegan's phenomenal vocal powers!
It's typical Lanegan, always with cigarette in hand  :)

Mark Lanegan- Precious & Grace

Also worth watching are these old interviews from Lanegan's Screaming Trees days:
The interviewer is a complete fool! - never seen so many uncomfortable moments in one interview  :D

Mark Lanegan Interview Part 1

Mark Lanegan Interview Part 3

LOL! at 1:40  :D

In short Lanegan has a whole lot of talent!
Now for 'Blues Funeral - I'll be happy if it's a tenth as good as 'Bubblegum'.
I'm enjoying the 2 new songs I've heard so far, can't wait to hear the rest!!!
What do you think:

Mark Lanegan- Burning Jacob's Ladder

Mark Lanegan Band - The Gravedigger's Song

theis

I merged your thread with this, already existing, Lanegan thread.

I'm excited about the new album. Love everything he's involved in.

pinkmaggit

Thanks Theis, didn't realise there was already a thread.
Great to see there's some more Mark Lanegan fans here!
Oh yes, can't agree more, I've been waiting for this album a very long time!
(8 years is far too long between albums! - or at least solo albums)
I'm loving the Gravedigger's song - the more I listen the better it gets!
Sounds like Josh Homme contributed the guitars to this one - it has that unmistakeable sound

mr.sinister

This looks pretty sweet. I'm going to check  out his stuff as I am familiar with his other works. Thanks.

mr.sinister

Any chance of reuping the Soulsavers link?

theis

theis

Crazylegs

Just now got really into bubblegum. Awesome album!