Author Topic: The Eros thread.  (Read 340364 times)

Offline Korea Rounding

• Teenager
Re: The Eros thread.
« Reply #1580 on: Nov 06, 2018, 08:50 PM »
I know the Eros music doesn't belong to the deftones, because they were under a contract with Warner when it was written.
But why can't warner say a price for the master tapes, and fans can put up whatever money they can and see if it's enough?
Those half-made songs are just rotting away somewhere anyway.

Offline Gaz

• Elite
« Reply #1581 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:56 AM »
I know the Eros music doesn't belong to the deftones, because they were under a contract with Warner when it was written.
But why can't warner say a price for the master tapes, and fans can put up whatever money they can and see if it's enough?
Those half-made songs are just rotting away somewhere anyway.

How do you know it doesn't belong to them? of course it does, they wrote the songs

Offline Korea Rounding

• Teenager
« Reply #1582 on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:39 PM »
Lol we're not talking about some garage-demos here.

When deftones signed to warner, deftones got money from the label in advance to make records,in this case to make Eros.
When Eros should be released, the label would keep all the money made from the record sales until they had recouped their expenses, which includes the advance, recording costs, promotion and the legal fees.
After theses costs have been covered, deftones get a percentage of the record sale profit - called royalties.

Since no money have been paid back to Warner in record sales cuz of obvious reasons,it is their music.Not deftones.
Why do think Warner told chino to delete the song "Smile" when he uploaded it? Because it's not Chino's song anymore, it's recorded under Warners paid studio time, and they have the rights to that material because of signing.
I just want Warner to get back the expenses for the Eros sessions.

FYI, James Hetfield & co just recently became the owner of their (Metallicas) music. They bought it from the label.
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2018, 08:47 PM by Korea Rounding »

Offline sharinglungs

• Passenger
« Reply #1583 on: Nov 08, 2018, 10:01 AM »
There's a slight difference between Metallica and Deftones when it comes to affording to buy back their catalog though.

Offline Gaz

• Elite
« Reply #1584 on: Nov 09, 2018, 12:19 PM »
Lol we're not talking about some garage-demos here.

When deftones signed to warner, deftones got money from the label in advance to make records,in this case to make Eros.
When Eros should be released, the label would keep all the money made from the record sales until they had recouped their expenses, which includes the advance, recording costs, promotion and the legal fees.
After theses costs have been covered, deftones get a percentage of the record sale profit - called royalties.

Since no money have been paid back to Warner in record sales cuz of obvious reasons,it is their music.Not deftones.
Why do think Warner told chino to delete the song "Smile" when he uploaded it? Because it's not Chino's song anymore, it's recorded under Warners paid studio time, and they have the rights to that material because of signing.
I just want Warner to get back the expenses for the Eros sessions.

FYI, James Hetfield & co just recently became the owner of their (Metallicas) music. They bought it from the label.

I think you are talking shit

Offline Vesanic

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
« Reply #1585 on: Nov 11, 2018, 03:59 AM »
This is spliced in their rehearsal vid from the Eros sessions, maybe it was meant to be artwork? They had a character like that in the background of their website in 2008

Offline Korea Rounding

• Teenager
« Reply #1586 on: Nov 11, 2018, 12:34 PM »
I think you are talking shit

You seem to think that labels just pour money over artists, and then the artists are free to whatever the fuck they want anyway.
If that's not naive thinking I don't know what is

There's a slight difference between Metallica and Deftones when it comes to affording to buy back their catalog though.

Yes there is. So what's your point?