Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones pictures, interviews, magazine scans.

Started by theis, May 01, 2010, 01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkblades

An interview during the SNW era? Wasn't that when Chino was high on speed and not getting along with the rest of the band? I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZbzO5MYJo

In this great Chino and Abe interview, they more or less say the same thing about SNW. They talk about how all over the place it is. I think they just don't like the "dark days" era of S/T and SNW because they were fucked up on drugs and/or going through divorces. My point is its fine if you think S/T is their worst album (I personally disagree), but using how they feel about the records isn't the best way to support your argument. How YOU feel about the album is what matters.

rainnyx4

Nah, there was a recent interview (in the last few years) where they said the same thing.  It was a video though so I have no idea how to find it since it wasn't specifically about S/T, but they definitely mention again how lazy they were with the songwriting for it.  I'd agree that SNW is disjointed (and the vocals sound like shit because Lopez isn't that great at producing) but the overall songwriting for that album was much stronger than S/T.  WAY more inspired stuff on there.

nicklav

Quote from: Inkblades on Sep 04, 2015, 06:58 PM
An interview during the SNW era? Wasn't that when Chino was high on speed and not getting along with the rest of the band? I wouldn't put too much stock into that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFZbzO5MYJo

In this great Chino and Abe interview, they more or less say the same thing about SNW. They talk about how all over the place it is. I think they just don't like the "dark days" era of S/T and SNW because they were fucked up on drugs and/or going through divorces. My point is its fine if you think S/T is their worst album (I personally disagree), but using how they feel about the records isn't the best way to support your argument. How YOU feel about the album is what matters.

defsteve

Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

deftfan

Interview with Frank and Chi for Polish TV music program "30 Ton" from 2001:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDoUQlALzTc

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: therealdaebat on Sep 03, 2015, 12:57 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 02, 2015, 04:01 PM
Their worst album.  I'm all for aggression and darkness in their music, but that album was just not written very well and the band has agreed to as much.  Too many rehashed and repetitive sounds and a lot of the songs sound like they got 3/4 the way through writing them and called it a day.

By far my favorite album.

Yeah you're nuts, self titled is by far my favorite of theirs.  Diamond Eyes deserves the title of worst.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

cvthedrv

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Sep 07, 2015, 01:31 PM
Quote from: therealdaebat on Sep 03, 2015, 12:57 PM
Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 02, 2015, 04:01 PM
Their worst album.  I'm all for aggression and darkness in their music, but that album was just not written very well and the band has agreed to as much.  Too many rehashed and repetitive sounds and a lot of the songs sound like they got 3/4 the way through writing them and called it a day.

By far my favorite album.

Yeah you're nuts, self titled is by far my favorite of theirs.  Diamond Eyes deserves the title of worst.

s/t, is hands down their best, i dont know how somebody could be able to say the contrary, even if its not your favorite, you got to know that it is their most concrete album ever..

Hidalgo

i don't see how s/t is their best. really only this little message board would agree to that. it's only an opinion, & outside this site it's not close to their best album poll wise. it's an awesome album no question, but it's near the bottom for me(but deftones worst albums are still great, so no big deal)

i'd rank them like this

around the fur
white pony
adrenaline
diamond eyes
like linus (i feel these old demos are so badass and deserve to always be mentioned, for me at least. awesome)
koi no yokan
self titled
saturday night wrist

i would put crosses, & palms ahead of s/t as well. team sleep's 2005 album barely behind it

counting Chino's other 3 albums it would be like this

around the fur
white pony (virtual tie with atf)
adrenaline
crosses
diamond eyes
palms
like linus
koi no yokan
self titled
team sleep (2005)
saturday night wrist

holy shit Chino makes some awesome music. i love all these albums

rainnyx4

If you can't see how lazy the songwriting is on S/T, you're not looking at it objectively.  They overused and rehashed certain sounds and riffs on that album that made it monotonous and a lot of those songs don't even have proper bridges because again, they would get 3/4 the way through writing a song and just call it a day.

Jesus2Chino

One man's lazy is another man's cohesive, haha. Best, worst, whatever--people will almost always choose their favorite albums based on the emotional response they elicit. S/T does it for me, but I can see how it might not for others. I don't think there's a whole lot of room for objectivity when deciding which albums are your favorites.

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

Martin

Quote from: Jesus2Chino on Sep 09, 2015, 11:29 AM
people will almost always choose their favorite albums based on the emotional response they elicit.

Exactly.

ATF does it for me.

rainnyx4

WP=Adrenaline=KNY>ATF=DE=SNW>S/T

White Pony, Adrenaline and Koi no Yokan are all pretty much perfect albums with unique and fleshed out ideas on them.  Around the Fur, Diamond Eyes, and Saturday Night Wrist are nearly perfect.  They each have some problems whether it be some redundancy or rehashed sounds or disjointed production.  Self-Titled just wasn't written as well as the other albums.  It had some great ideas on it and Anniversary is a top five Deftones track but the laziness was definitely there.

Penicks

Capt Snow

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 09, 2015, 05:17 PM
WP=Adrenaline=KNY>ATF=DE=SNW>S/T

White Pony, Adrenaline and Koi no Yokan are all pretty much perfect albums with unique and fleshed out ideas on them.  Around the Fur, Diamond Eyes, and Saturday Night Wrist are nearly perfect.  They each have some problems whether it be some redundancy or rehashed sounds or disjointed production.  Self-Titled just wasn't written as well as the other albums.  It had some great ideas on it and Anniversary is a top five Deftones track but the laziness was definitely there.

from_musings

rainnyx4

Freedomsoldier17

all the albums are good in their own way

Jesus2Chino

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 10, 2015, 01:29 AM
Yep, Deftones fans are dumb as shit.

Kind of a weird thing to say...as a Deftones fan...

Like I said before, you should really stop trying to objectively determine some albums as being better than others; it's not possible, and no opinion you have on the matter is right or wrong. It's music, not math. If there was a way to write music that was objectively better than other music, everyone would like the same albums universally across all artists, as those albums would have a higher value of goodness than all others. The reason this is literally never the case is because what music is good and what music isn't is ENTIRELY subjective.

That being said, ATF through to S/T, that was the golden age of Deftones. Nah just kidding. But no really. Nah. But yeah. This is my subjective opinion, and it doesn't matter if anyone else agrees or disagrees, as it won't ever be more wrong or right than anyone else's. You can argue, and disagree, and insult people as much as you want over their subjective opinions, but you're literally just wasting energy, time, and life. It won't change their opinion of anything but you.

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Sep 10, 2015, 01:29 AM
Yep, Deftones fans are dumb as shit.
It's a weird thing they attract intelligent people who are in to the band for what they do musically but they also attract a ton of "stupid" fans who are really more fixated on Chino then the band or their music, anyone who has seen some of stupid stuff on the FB groups knows what I'm talking about.

ANattyRat

At the end of the day, it depends on your preferences. Some people prefer Adrenaline, even though they've grown and evolved and improved so much since then. They might prefer it because of the rawness or the fact that it was such a unique sound back then, or maybe they associate it with a good time in their life, etc. Same applies to all their albums. If you hate clean, polished-sounding music, you're not going to prefer Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan over Around the Fur or the self-titled album, are you? But that doesn't mean they're their worst albums, it's just about what people are looking for.

Everyone's opinion is valid, but they are still just opinions. The only stupid thing is when people say "____ isn't a REAL Deftones album" just because it doesn't have the sound they expect. Deftones have never stuck to a specific genre or set of rules, they make whatever they want. If you hate it, that's no big deal, but it's still Deftones.