Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow46/2

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Aug 17, 2014, 08:14 PM
Quote from: Northcal on Aug 16, 2014, 07:06 PM
Terry date is wat we need so badly! I have a feeling that deftones are only gonna get softer now :'(

I actually think that deftones sound better these days on the softer songs where chino isnt pushing his voice, he just seems to struggle if there's too much pace/screams etc.

Maybe live but he still sounds pristine as ever in studio, imo.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Northcal

A double album with hard songs on disc 1 and softer songs on disc 2 !After that Eros and that's it for the Deftones! ;)

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Northcal on Aug 18, 2014, 04:14 AM
A double album with hard songs on disc 1 and softer songs on disc 2 !After that Eros and that's it for the Deftones! ;)
But then you lose the power of contrast, the heavy songs seem so much more brutal when put next to slow songs and the slow songs seem much more delicate and soft when put next to the super agressive songs, they just don't have the same impact when the whole albums one way or the other.

Inkblades

Chino must be breaking some kind of Guinness World Record with touring this fall. Deftones, Team Sleep, Crosses and Palms. Four bands!

Diplo

He is gonna die, or at least his voice.

chi_no

Lucky_Me

Linkin Park once did a cover of My Own Summer, I believe at a festival where Deftones also played. Maybe that's what Chino meant? Oh well, even though I'm a huge fan of both, I don't think the guys (=LP) did a good job covering the 'Tones. It's just not their style, I suppose.
Eccentricity is but a sophisticated form of insanity.

wheresmysnare

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Oct 17, 2014, 08:54 AM
Linkin Park once did a cover of My Own Summer, I believe at a festival where Deftones also played. Maybe that's what Chino meant? Oh well, even though I'm a huge fan of both, I don't think the guys (=LP) did a good job covering the 'Tones. It's just not their style, I suppose.

chino became a real dick around that time, think it was the success of white pony going to his head and maybe the fact that journo's still lumped deftones in with nu-metal.

It's pretty messed up to think hybrid theory was the best selling debut album of the 21st century, you wouldnt think it now, are they even still going?

Lucky_Me

@whereismyname: Yeah, Linkin Park are alive and kicking, only for a new kind of audience. I've been with them since '05 and I'll be going to a summit (=huge ass official fan meeting) of theirs in Amsterdam in a couple of days. They might be a tad off the radar, but that's because they may have had their prime and they're basically the new classics now. If you like, you can listen to the new CD they put out this year, it's called The Hunting Party and it's a lot heavier than their previous two or three records. :) It's funny how I got to know Deftones through their video 'Frat Party at the Pancake Festival', where they did this prank of replacing their water with vodka. ;D That might explain why Chino used to hate them so much, haha.

Chino still seems a little reserved to me, rather cool. There's nothing wrong with that, but I wonder what he is like now that Deftones aren't, well... all that big anymore, in a non-fatty sense. :P (Hell, fat guys hug better, haha.) I've never had the chance to really talk to him, so can you tell me what he's really like? I'm just curious. I always wait by the bus after their gigs for a hug and a chat, but he never seems interested. Frank also appears to be a bit shy, but that might've been because I'm not always a delight to be around after gigs...  ;) I'm a shy person, too, but after gigs, I'm usually all over the place. ::)

Penicks

Quote from: Lucky_Me on Oct 29, 2014, 04:45 PM
, but that might've been because I'm not always a delight to be around after gigs...  ;) I'm a shy person, too, but after gigs, I'm usually all over the place. ::)

jesus fucking christ

VictorPL

@whereismyname: Yeah, Linkin Park are alive and kicking, only for a new kind of audience. I've been with them since '05 and I'll be going to a summit (=huge ass official fan meeting) of theirs in Amsterdam in a couple of days. They might be a tad off the radar, but that's because they may have had their prime and they're basically the new classics now. If you like, you can listen to the new CD they put out this year, it's called The Hunting Party and it's a lot heavier than their previous two or three records. :) It's funny how I got to know Deftones through their video 'Frat Party at the Pancake Festival', where they did this prank of replacing their water with vodka. ;D That might explain why Chino used to hate them so much, haha.

Chino still seems a little reserved to me, rather cool. There's nothing wrong with that, but I wonder what he is like now that Deftones aren't, well... all that big anymore, in a non-fatty sense. :P (Hell, fat guys hug better, haha.) I've never had the chance to really talk to him, so can you tell me what he's really like? I'm just curious. I always wait by the bus after their gigs for a hug and a chat, but he never seems interested. Frank also appears to be a bit shy, but that might've been because I'm not always a delight to be around after gigs...  ;) I'm a shy person, too, but after gigs, I'm usually all over the place. ::)

one of the coolest things that happend to me was a few years ago before diamond eyes came out. i flew to amsterdam with some friends to see deftones for the first time. a day before the concert im chilling in a coffee shop with my friends when suddenly my buddy goes 'hey , its chino!', im like 'yeah right' but i turned around and there he was with his gf walking into a gift shop. i got pretty excited because hes my favorite singer but im not really the type who likes to hassle people, but i had to go up to him.

so i followed him into the gift shop and just said that im a big fan and that im here to see him tomorrow and when hes done if he wouldnt mind taking a pic and that was that. i went back to my table. after a few min we see him coming out and the guy was actually walking around the bar looking for us!!! he came up to our table, we talked for like 10 min, took a pic and he left. it was pretty cool, some people say hes an ass hole but my experience was pretty positive. maybe because we actually just met him in the city by accident and it wasnt like a crowd waiting for him after a gig

Lucky_Me

Good to hear that you had such a nice experience with Chino. :) I suppose that whether he's found nice also depends on the person talking to him, you know, because fans can be real assholes and celebrities are only as human as you and I. Maybe he likes some fans better than others? That's not cruel, that's just the risk of dealing with a strong personality.

Chino sang to me in the crowd once, when I was at a gig at the 013 (Tilburg, NL). I couldn't sing a word, just smile and stare. It was really awesome. 8) I understand the gurmies tend to drive him crazy now and then, so I try to treat them as calm and respectful as my antsy anxiety allows me to. :P Just go with his flow and see how far he wants to go that time -that works for almost everyone. I believe every person comes with a set of instructions, only some are a bit more difficult than others'. So be it. Artists don't shit chocolate and I've learned that some also don't like to be treated that way. Sometimes, there is just no match between fan and artist, but when there is one... magic happens.

tarkil

Brann Dailor from Mastodon showing appreciation for Deftones :
<quote>
7. Deftones – Around the Fur [1997]

When Deftones first erupted with Adrenaline – I wouldn’t even listen to them. I was adamant that they were just another in a long line of Korn imitators and this nu-metal scene that had popped up was something I had no interest in listening to. So I sorta wrote them off. Then one night I ended up at this party at a friend’s house and he’d put on Around the Fur – loud. So I sat down on the bed and just started listening to and falling in love with it – it's kinda dark, like ‘What the hell is this?’ He says Deftones. I’m thinking ‘Fuck!’ Oh man, I can’t deny this... so good.’ They’ve maintained that cool ever since. There’s so many different influences that they’ve somehow woven together – they’ve got this whole Cocteau Twins/4AD vibe coupled with super-heavy guitar. It works so well – from Chino’s voice to Abe’s drumming. His style’s so unique and he’s got all that groove. I love that band beyond belief; I’ll fanboy those guys to death every time I’m around them. They’re like ‘Okaaay, security – get this guy out of here.’
</quote>

The whole article is interesting anyway :
http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/features/309428-under_influence_brann_dailor_mastodon

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

chi_no

Did you guy know that Chino is 2/5 Mexican, 1/5 Irish, 1/5 Native America and 1/5 Chinese?

wheresmysnare

Quote from: chi_no on Nov 23, 2014, 01:36 PM
Did you guy know that Chino is 2/5 Mexican, 1/5 Irish, 1/5 Native America and 1/5 Chinese?

yes, is there a punchline?

wheresmysnare

Quote from: tarkil on Nov 15, 2014, 02:39 AM
Brann Dailor from Mastodon showing appreciation for Deftones :
<quote>
7. Deftones – Around the Fur [1997]

When Deftones first erupted with Adrenaline – I wouldn't even listen to them. I was adamant that they were just another in a long line of Korn imitators and this nu-metal scene that had popped up was something I had no interest in listening to. So I sorta wrote them off. Then one night I ended up at this party at a friend's house and he'd put on Around the Fur – loud. So I sat down on the bed and just started listening to and falling in love with it – it's kinda dark, like 'What the hell is this?' He says Deftones. I'm thinking 'Fuck!' Oh man, I can't deny this... so good.' They've maintained that cool ever since. There's so many different influences that they've somehow woven together – they've got this whole Cocteau Twins/4AD vibe coupled with super-heavy guitar. It works so well – from Chino's voice to Abe's drumming. His style's so unique and he's got all that groove. I love that band beyond belief; I'll fanboy those guys to death every time I'm around them. They're like 'Okaaay, security – get this guy out of here.'
</quote>

The whole article is interesting anyway :
http://www.theskinny.co.uk/music/features/309428-under_influence_brann_dailor_mastodon

nice!

chi_no

Quote from: Penicks on Jun 16, 2013, 09:02 PM
you're all addicts and kny still sucks

Well I like crack and SNW still sucks.  ;D

Auctus

Quote from: VictorPL on Oct 30, 2014, 05:31 AM

one of the coolest things that happend to me was a few years ago before diamond eyes came out. i flew to amsterdam with some friends to see deftones for the first time. a day before the concert im chilling in a coffee shop with my friends when suddenly my buddy goes 'hey , its chino!', im like 'yeah right' but i turned around and there he was with his gf walking into a gift shop. i got pretty excited because hes my favorite singer but im not really the type who likes to hassle people, but i had to go up to him.

so i followed him into the gift shop and just said that im a big fan and that im here to see him tomorrow and when hes done if he wouldnt mind taking a pic and that was that. i went back to my table. after a few min we see him coming out and the guy was actually walking around the bar looking for us!!! he came up to our table, we talked for like 10 min, took a pic and he left. it was pretty cool, some people say hes an ass hole but my experience was pretty positive. maybe because we actually just met him in the city by accident and it wasnt like a crowd waiting for him after a gig

From what I've seen on videos and interviews, Chino looks like a really nice guy. I hope to meet him some day as you have. I still haven't had the opportunity. But there is always some day. I don't get out much. 

Martin

Stumbled upon this somewhere (a glassjaw forum)...had to laugh xD