Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sing blue silver

Quote from: jaypayton on May 24, 2016, 09:41 PM
Quote from: 77years on May 24, 2016, 03:26 PM
Quote from: Martin on May 12, 2016, 09:31 PM
Might as well put it here; what's up with all the complaining? Not judging or anything, but geez...from my point of view, it's a bit too much.

I feel the same way. I used to lurk here, enjoyed reading stuff, love the band and it's music, but every single day it's whining and complaining about something, this song, that song, engineering and production things they don't know about, the artwork, his hair, their hair, my God it's ridiculous. Such a bummer to come on this website and read this stuff anymore.

I guess I'm complaining too, maybe that's about as good as it gets?  All I can say is there are seriously negative vibes around some people and they feel an urge to protect their own pet memories of something, whatever ...  Knock yourselves out but I've always been a fan since a very long time ago, will continue to be so, love Gore, think it's some of their best music. Guess I'm in the minority that I enjoy Deftones without nitpicking the shit out of everything.

you're dealing with a band on its last legs...probably what metallica fans went through in the late 90s. the new album is getting shit reception from most circles (outside the obsessives) the setlists are as boring and redundant as ever. the band is clearly bored and most people can pick up on that vibe

It almost seems you're judging the album's reception based off the opinions of those you know. Reviews have been generally positive and the album has received a fair amount of praise. Sales have also been good for the record. I do agree the sets are mostly redundant though. DE and Rocket Skates are my "go take a piss and get a drink" songs. It seems from a touring standpoint they may be kind of going through the motions a bit but they're still making interesting new music that is evoking strong emotions from people one way or the other. I think that's a good thing for the most part.

77years

Jay:

1. You're completely proving my post and you're the worst offender, fapping to Adrenaline & saying "I'm their #1 fan". Completely what I'm talking about.

2. People -lots of them - who don't like the band -LOVE Gore.

Cullision

People who don't like the band love Gore for the same reasons some people who love the band don't like Gore. I used to be a lurker here and I was appalled at all the complaining, but Gore was the first album to actually upset me. It's not a bad album, but it's the first that I actually dislike from a band I worshipped for years. I think the longer you're a fan it's just a natural thing to start complaining, it's like a long marriage. It's not new and exciting like when you first discovered it, and you actually can start to resent it, but at the end of the day you love that bitch.

HooiserBowhunter

I actually like Gore. It might not be my favorite Deftones album, but it is better than 95% of the rock thats out there today. Since I have never been a fan of metal I don't have to many options anymore. Im just lucky bands like Deftones & Chevelle put out music still. Hell if Tool and Metallica by chance releases an album finally this year I will be ecstatic. Im not holding my breath on the Tool though. I think peoples constant complaining and whining is not something just exclusive to this forum its everywhere. This whole internet sensation of  detachment from reality allows people to be so critical of everything anyone does. People can go ahead and will always be negative. I will just go ahead and turn on Doomed User one more time while I fly down the Highway.

DEFinatelydeftones,fsho

Good point. If we were all locked in an auditorium together for an evening, it would be totally different as far as the negativity goes I think.  people everywhere online grow a false sense of size of testicles when debating things.
Pushing you back but still you ain't goooooooooone!!!!!!

Freedomsoldier17

Quote from: DEFinatelydeftones,fsho on May 25, 2016, 06:21 PM
Good point. If we were all locked in an auditorium together for an evening, it would be totally different as far as the negativity goes I think.  people everywhere online grow a false sense of size of testicles when debating things.

sounds kinda like a concert :P

Martin

Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on May 25, 2016, 06:34 AM
This whole internet sensation of  detachment from reality allows people to be so critical of everything anyone does.

This.
It's incredibly sad.

nineteen

Probably a stupid question but are the majority of folks who dislike Gore generally later fans of the band? As in post White Pony?

That would be my guess.

Martin

Quote from: nineteen on May 27, 2016, 06:26 PM
Probably a stupid question but are the majority of folks who dislike Gore generally later fans of the band? As in post White Pony?

That would be my guess.

That's an interesting idea, what makes you think that?

Personally, I got into the band at, I think, the end of the Around The Fur cycle.

nineteen

Quote from: Martin on May 27, 2016, 06:29 PM

That would be my guess.

Personally, I got into the band at, I think, the end of the Around The Fur cycle.

Gore just reminds me a lot of Adrenaline and ATF; not necessarily the sound or riffs etc but the vibe of it. I find it difficult to explain but those first two records were Deftones V1 for me and Gore reminds me of that period around 96-99. Like I said, hard to explain.

White Pony & Self Titled have their vibe and Diamond Eyes & KNY have the same feels. I haven't figured out where SNW fits yet...

Obviously folks will disagree but that's my theory and I could be very wrong. Just a thought.

LG95

I haven't noticed any particular pattern in terms of the 'era' of people who dislike Gore.
I could float here forever

Martin

Quote from: nineteen on May 27, 2016, 06:39 PM
Quote from: Martin on May 27, 2016, 06:29 PM

That would be my guess.

Gore just reminds me a lot of Adrenaline and ATF; not necessarily the sound or riffs etc but the vibe of it. I find it difficult to explain but those first two records were Deftones V1 for me and Gore reminds me of that period around 96-99. Like I said, hard to explain.

White Pony & Self Titled have their vibe and Diamond Eyes & KNY have the same feels. I haven't figured out where SNW fits yet...

Obviously folks will disagree but that's my theory and I could be very wrong. Just a thought.

Hmm...perhaps I see what you mean, about the same vibe...it kinda sounds fresh...lot of breathing room...if that makes any sense haha

lostpilot

I don't love or I don't even "thoroughly know" (which applies to any other Deftones album) this album by heart; to me it's a recollection of they have been doing for the past three albums or so. However, Prayers / Triangles is a GREAT song, and a great opener to the album. And there are highlights, but to me the self-titled doomy Deftones are not coming back; or the skateboarding punky Adrenaline is not coming back either. Deal with it yo

ToneDef

Played Gore in the car again today after a lay off. For me, p/t is probably the highlight. The album is structured well so there are some highlights at the end. Nothing quite hits the top, top mark though. Regardless, it's a solid album, just a bit safe. I'd love to hear the same record had Terry Date been involved.

It's got me looking back too. KNY is probably their weakest. My two highlights off that record I think are Poltergeist, which would be perfect if they cut some sections out, and Gauze, which I still love.

I'm seeing them next Friday so I'm kinda getting in the mood. It's fun revisiting these albums. Each one has so many different memories tied to it. White Pony will forever be possibly my favourite ever record. Absolute perfection.

nicklav

Quote from: lostpilot on May 27, 2016, 08:33 PM
I don't love or I don't even "thoroughly know" (which applies to any other Deftones album) this album by heart; to me it's a recollection of they have been doing for the past three albums or so. However, Prayers / Triangles is a GREAT song, and a great opener to the album. And there are highlights, but to me the self-titled doom Deftones are not coming back; or the skateboarding punky Adrenaline is not coming back either. Deal with it yo

I feel like we got a bit of that in Acid Hologram, but otherwise yeah.

krook

Is it ok if I don't like Minerva only because I hate the title? Mi-ner-va. If it was called any other name I would love this song, it's so good by itself but the title fucks it all up.
I hate White Pony.

Cullision

Quote from: krook on May 28, 2016, 10:07 PM
Is it ok if I don't like Minerva only because I hate the title? Mi-ner-va. If it was called any other name I would love this song, it's so good by itself but the title fucks it all up.

Minerva is the goddess of music in Roman mythology and yes thats a stupid reason to not like a song. Makes perfect sense as a Deftones title in my opinion.

Freedomsoldier17

the original title for Minerva was "The Late Great Planet Earth"

only pieces remain

my head hurts again

Dryalex12

Becasue titles like "When Girls Telephone Boys" and "Acid Hologram" are perfectly fine