Deftones Bullshit Thread

Started by Oldnewtype, May 19, 2011, 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penicks

or pink maggit

or battle-axe

or kimdracula

only pieces remain

seriously. one of the reasons i love deftones is chino's song titles. they are different than most bands.

maybe "what happened to you?" is more krooks speed

ANattyRat

Quote from: only pieces remain on May 29, 2016, 04:49 AM
seriously. one of the reasons i love deftones is chino's song titles. they are different than most bands.

maybe "what happened to you?" is more krooks speed

Agreed, I like the weird song titles, they're the coolest.

Dryalex12

Its kinda the same deal with STP. they got a few normal tiles, but then they have some random shit that they pulled out of a hat like "Kitchenware & Candybars" or "Trippin On A Hole in A Paper Heart"

Deftones are they same they got a few normal sounding ones like Bored, Diamond Eyes and Teenager

But then you get shit like Minus Blindfold, MX, Knife Prty and Xerces. It doesn't make any god damn sense but it works

it would sound boring if they were called something like "Digital bath" became "I'm really feeling it" or WGTB became "Go away bitch" or Pink Maggit being called "Back to school" oh wait........

buddyboy101

Quote from: Dryalex12 on May 30, 2016, 01:18 AM
Its kinda the same deal with STP. they got a few normal tiles, but then they have some random shit that they pulled out of a hat like "Kitchenware & Candybars" or "Trippin On A Hole in A Paper Heart"

Deftones are they same they got a few normal sounding ones like Bored, Diamond Eyes and Teenager

But then you get shit like Minus Blindfold, MX, Knife Prty and Xerces. It doesn't make any god damn sense but it works

it would sound boring if they were called something like "Digital bath" became "I'm really feeling it" or WGTB became "Go away bitch" or Pink Maggit being called "Back to school" oh wait........

But even Teenager doesn't come directly from a lyrics in the song - those are my favorite.

Dryalex12

Quote from: buddyboy101 on May 30, 2016, 03:05 AM

But even Teenager doesn't come directly from a lyrics in the song - those are my favorite.

its more like its a generic boring and uninteresting title

only pieces remain

i love it when the title isnt in the song. so cliche

buddyboy101

Quote from: Dryalex12 on May 30, 2016, 03:17 AM

No.  And obviously you don't get the song titles.  The word "teenager" is highly emotive and complex.  It can be used to describe many intense feelings that are only first experienced during the teenage years of life.  It can refer to falling in love, getting in trouble, finding yourself, being vulnerable, learning about others, etc.  The song "Teenager" is about so much of that - finding love and falling out of it, the ups and downs of extreme emotions at a young age.  The song title is perfect, and brilliant in that it succinctly captures the energy of the song in one phrase.  If you can't appreciate that, then you're missing the point of this band.

ANattyRat

Quote from: buddyboy101 on May 30, 2016, 05:40 AM

No.  And obviously you don't get the song titles.

Oh my god, how pretentious are you? It's a song title, there's nothing to get. He's not talking about why it was called Teenager, he's talking about the title itself, not how it relates to the song.

If I hadn't heard of a band and they have a song called 'Teenager', I'm not going to be very drawn into it. If they have a song like 'Geometric Headdress', I'm a lot more drawn to it. That's what he means. It's a generic song title, it's one word, boring, no uniqueness to it. Does it relate to the song? Sure. But as a title, it's not 'out there'.

Dryalex12

Quote from: ANattyRat on May 30, 2016, 07:28 AM
Quote from: buddyboy101 on May 30, 2016, 05:40 AM

No.  And obviously you don't get the song titles.

Oh my god, how pretentious are you? It's a song title, there's nothing to get. He's not talking about why it was called Teenager, he's talking about the title itself, not how it relates to the song.

If I hadn't heard of a band and they have a song called 'Teenager', I'm not going to be very drawn into it. If they have a song like 'Geometric Headdress', I'm a lot more drawn to it. That's what he means. It's a generic song title, it's one word, boring, no uniqueness to it. Does it relate to the song? Sure. But as a title, it's not 'out there'.

Eeeeeexactly....I know why its called Teenager..........cuz chino wrote it when he was a Teenager.  I was not dissing the song at all. I dont think Teenager is boring at all, I think its lovely and I love chino's voice on that song.

I know why its called Digital bath becasue of its actually meaning.
I know why its called Hexagram for its meaning
I still dont know what Pink cellphone means

but yeah, totally over blown

LG95

Watching old live videos + Eros stuff and now I'm in a shit mood because of how much I miss Chi...
I could float here forever

krook

I wonder if somebody on this planet likes the ending of Pink Cellphone.

Why was it even made? Everybody hates it. How could Bob Ezrin let that on the album?
I hate White Pony.

Penicks

he didn't cause he isn't the producer. read wikipedia again

SMLiberator

Quote from: krook on Jun 15, 2016, 02:06 AMWhy was it even made?

IIRC it was a Chino thing... he just thought the album sounded so chaotic and disjointed it wouldn't make any difference to just leave that bizarre ending there. I don't remember where I read this, though.
i'm confused??

krook

Quote from: Penicks on Jun 15, 2016, 06:05 AM
he didn't cause he isn't the producer. read wikipedia again

I hate White Pony.

Penicks

he didn't create the end product

Shadow46/2

It's funny, I have a friend who has disliked everything they've put out since SNW and basically wrote the band off, but now he's really digging Gore.
And I have another friend who worships all their albums (except snw, don't think he's even heard it yet), but hates Gore.
Different strokes I guess, there's no real pattern. You either feel the given batch of songs or you hate it, or wherever in between.

I like every album for vastly different reasons (but I'm only really in LOVE with atf/wp/st)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Gnosticality

This is kind of off-topic, but dude, Chino's screams these days...

They're giving me old-school feels.

Slick

Why the fuck wasn't Chino in Kanye's Famous video?!  >:(
#bullshit!

gottsu