Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

My Band Plays the Horseshoe

Started by peterdigiacomo, Jul 18, 2014, 12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skinnypuppy

Quote from: peterdigiacomo on Jul 30, 2014, 12:05 AM
I saw skinnypuppy's comment before he edited it and deleted it and found it quite funny how he was insulting me even though I'm sure he hasn't ever performed in front of more than 20 people. Either way, if you get offended or annoyed at someone trying to put out his music, whether it was a live show (that wasn't recorded with a smartphone, sorry we don't have the funds to hire professional video tapers or multi-camera or pro-sound technology) or a future recording, I'm not sure what the big deal is.

Listen up, bud, I removed my comment because sometimes I can be a little too straightforward, blunt and offensive. In all sincerity, I am sorry for my harsh words. However, you're shooting yourself in the foot left and right here - Why? Because it doesn't matter if we've ever played in front of 20 people before. It's completely irrelevant. We're offering suggestions, and you're rejecting them.  We're giving you good advice and you don't want it.  Bands should not perform live shows before they have a decent demo. Simple as that. Even worse, sharing that mediocre show to strangers and asking for their advice is even worse.  Watch youtube for what a good live show looks and sounds like. I've never performed in front of 20 people, nor have I tried to. It's irrelevant. I know 'good' and 'bad' or 'good recording sound' or 'bad recording sound' or 'good live performance' or 'bad live performance' - So does almost everyone here on the board, as Deftones have a lot of great shows and a lot of bad shows.

If you have the recording technology to make a good recording (non-live), DO IT. Show us THAT. A mediocre live recording with horrible audio is the absolute worst way to represent yourself.  And if you're truly going to try and belittle me based off whether I've played in front of 20 people or not, please allow me to back it up with stating that I've been in the background of the music industry for 11 years, doing sales, marketing, management, artist day to day, A&R, social media and artist dev. My honest advice is to throw in the towel. The way you represent yourself, your band, and interact with strangers is dreadful.  You'll never be noticed or taken seriously like this. This is the best advice you'll EVER get, because it will save you years and thousands of dollars and wasted time.

Now, if for instance, you want to check your head and chill out and take some advice, then both myself and this board is here to help, which is an offer that doesn't come up very often if you ask me.

Vesanic

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jul 31, 2014, 12:15 AM
Lucky Mono especially would be beautiful live

Yeah, I had been following Mono for years and they happened to have a date there two months after I moved in Toronto, had to catch them.

black coffee

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jul 30, 2014, 11:55 PM
I believe the recording technology was in response to my question about why they don't record a demo at home themselves, I don't think he meant cameras or things for live recording.

and I never said anything about live recording in the first place. I wrote that the footage was probably recorded with a smartphone, which would explain the crappy audio.
The video looks okay, but why shouldn't it when even the worst smartphone today has more than 10 megapixels already.

peterdigiacomo it appears to me you find it hard to deal with criticism and the thing you maybe need to understand is people are doing you a favor listening to your band, not the other way round.

There are so many bands that invested time, work and sweat to put something out there that is worth listening to. Its not about the cost of equipment because a lot can be done with very little like a laptop, mic and music software.. its about you taking the easy path just putting your low quality footage on youtube and writing on message boards about it.

skinnypuppy

Quote from: black coffee on Jul 31, 2014, 03:34 PM
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jul 30, 2014, 11:55 PM
I believe the recording technology was in response to my question about why they don't record a demo at home themselves, I don't think he meant cameras or things for live recording.

you maybe need to understand is people are doing you a favor listening to your band, not the other way round.

I'm going to remember this quote!

peterdigiacomo

I appreciate all the criticism. At first I thought you guys were just poking fun at me for no reason, and that's why I got all defensive and what not. I actually appreciate the replies though, whether if they were intended to be truthful or just as a mockery. I've been to a lot of forums, and especially music forum, I've seen that people tend to be major dicks with huge egos, such as sputnik or other ones. That's why I assumed you guys were just mocking the band or something. I know you guys are doing a favor by just viewing the video, and I do appreciate it, and I definitely agree what black coffee said with his quote. No hard feelings, and I would like to continue posting here at the forum, as we all share a love for music and Deftones, so it would be a good place to stay.

As for our recording, we got a good deal with one of the promoters hook ups to record our EP. So that, and new songs is what we are working on now.

Once again, I don't want to come across as a bitch, and I over reacted about the situation as a whole. I appreciate the comments and crit very much.