Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones 1988–1994 Stuff

Started by chi_no, Nov 21, 2014, 09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chi_no

Post anything you want from the following pre-Adrenaline eras :)

1989/1990 (?)
1989/1990 (?)
1989/1990 (?)

1993/1994 (?)
1991–1993 pics - available on 1 or 2 underground places [watermarked]
1994 - untitled (Root) master demo cassete

chi_no

Deftones interview from "Alive & Kickin" - December, 1993

Early December
It's raining again. Of course it is. I don't need to look out my window or feel it hit me coldly in the face to know this. All I've gotta do is have some high priced national act on an off-night at The Cattle Club, and rain is inevitable. That's just the way its been lately - Big Act, Big Risk, Big Storm, Big Losses. Tonight will no doubt be the same. The scene is changing in Sac. We've been taking quite a few heavy hits lately trying to learn how it's changing.
I'm on my way to Far's Practice studio to meet with The Deftones for an interview. My '64 Ford is never so boatlike as it is on rain-coated streets.So as I drive down Freeport pretending to have control of my sleek two-door hydroplane, I laugh at the thought that Deftones interviews are much the same way. Just ask Samantha from cable show 411 or Liz from Sacto Active Rock, or any one else who's ever attempted a Deftones interview. When it's all over and you play back your tape, you find you have nothing to work with, You've gotten nowhere. You've just been spinning your wheels ... or reels ... or whatever. I've messed the whole analogy ur but the point is a Deftones interview is usually one-third band argument, one-third dissin' on each other, and one-third trying to keep Stephen from wreaking havoc in the immediate area. I interviewed them once for a Drinkin'and Drive-in (A&K #3) but those never require that we stay on track and well, dammit, this is the cover story - we've got to tell the Deftones dirt.
There is no doubt this is certainly an interesting stage in their development to catch their thoughts. I'm meeting with them one week prior to their show opening for Kai Kln we've set up at The Crest Theater. This is an exciting event for many reasons. For the Deftones it will be their first time in the 1,000 seat Crest Theater, an opportunity experienced by only a handful of local bands. The Crest show also represents a milestone in the development of Sacramento's alternative music scene. Kai Kin is the first band to headline this large venue, so a week before the show all we can think about is the risky undertaking. If the show bombs then it will feel like a slap on the wrist to a bunch of uppity local bands reaching for something they're not supposed to have; but if it succeeds, all our suspicions of which way the scene is headed will be validated and the Sacramento music scene will take on a whole new appearance.
Although we are very hopeful about the Crest show, we're also aware of the uncharted territory we're moving into. It's almost like the scene is entering puberty. Things are changing qnd for those of us involved, our feelings are a confusion of fear and excitement. I arrive at the practice studio. Malcolm from Far is jokingly trying to convince Deftones singer Chino to cancel some shitty Bay Area booking the band is committed to because it's the same night as Far's CD release show at the Cattle Club, and the Far guys really want the Deftones to be there.
"You'll get nothing," says Malcolm tauting Chino.
"Probably," says Chino.
'Zero, zilch,' continues Malcolm.
"Probably,' repeats Chino. He'd love to go see his friends CD release show and sure, it'd be nice to make a little money for the drive to San Francisco, but Chino has his reasons for going through with the show. in a way, it ties in with the whole ambiguity of the unprecedented changes in the scene. The Deftones are clearly on the rise in Sacramento and doing OK in San Francisco, but what's the next move? How do you keep your forward momentum without rolling over a few people or opportunities.
"We don't want to look like dicks," explains Chino. "This Club keeps trying to get us play, if we keep saying 'no' it looks like we think we're too good to play there."
"Well, maybe you are," challenges Malcolm.
'OK' says Chino in mock defeat. "We'll cancel the show."
"No, no," says Malcolm, in mock sympathy, "we'll cancel our show. Fuck the CD."
So with that dilemma completely unresolved, I gather the Deftones together into my car. We decide to head out to this rib place on Martin Luther King Boulevard called Shawana's. "In the heart of the ghetto," says Stephen. "Uh, oh! Chi," he says to the band's bassist, "you ain't gonna get no food there, just drinks, this place is straight up beef." Chi, obviously a vegetarian isn't very hopeful, "They probably have beef- based drinks."
"Barbecue shakes," laughs Steph.
Shawana's sports a pink and lavender decor, applied to a Taco Bell style architecture. Inside cool gospel music is blaring. For a moment I fear my tape recorder will not pick up the interview, but then I realize the Deftones generally blare also.
First things first. The Deftones are Chino Wong (vocals), Stephen Carpenter (guitar,) Chi Ling Dai Cheng (bass) and John "the white guy" Taylor (drums). They band formed in South Sacramento around mid-'90. They followed a whole wave of amazing bands that emerged from South Sac around this time, including Phallucy, FMK, and Crystal Sphere.
Stephen had started with a punk band in '86. "Four Mexicans. We were all skaters. We were so bad we didn't know we had to tune to eachother, we just played. I'd been playing guitar two weeks and we jsut started jammin.I was like, yeah, I'm in a real band.' Chino remembered skateboarding by Steph's house and, "Steph would be outside with his guitar. He had a remote, he'd have all his amps in his garage and he'd just be out in his driveway and you'd hear 'kunk, kunk, kunk, kunk', playing Exodus and Anthrax and shit."
"If we ever get signed," says Steph, "I want to set up the whole band in the back yard one night around 1:00 a.m. and just blam." Chino used to watch Stephen's band practice in Steph's garage. Soon Dominic, an old friend of Chino's from elementary school, started playing bass for Stephen, and Chino introduced Abe, a drummer friend of his to them. Eventually Chino himself joined as singer.
As a new local band, opportunities to play were rare and support was weak. They'd played a few parties and on a couple of Cattle Club Thursdays, but those weren't always successful. Quite often in order for a local band to get anyone to see them they'd have to appear on a show with a prominent touring band. The band's earliest sound was very derivative of Primus, and at that time a lot of the funk bands from the Bay Area were gaining notoriety in Sacramento, so it wasn't difficult to hook up the Deftones to one of the many funk shows taking place at the Cattle Club.
Their first big show was with Psychefunkapus and Funky Blue Velvet in early '91. The band's most vivid memory of the night was being in front of a huge crowd when Dominic brought his little brother on stage. "We're this full on ethnic band," says Stephen, "and we're opening for Psychefunkapus, and Dominic's ten year old brother gets on stage and tells this racial joke! Something like, 'what do you get with three black guys in a suana?' and the whole crowd goes booooo!!! And I'm all 'oh no,' I get on teh microphone and I'm saying it's cool, it's just a joke, and everyone is calming down. And then he finished the joke! - everyone booos again!" "It was terrible," remembers Chi. "I had to turn my back to the crowd."
Somehow the band managed to survive the faux pas and to even win over a decent following. Then just as things were starting to move, Abe left the band to join Phallucy.
"Abe and I used to sit in class listening to Phallucy on my walkman and idolizing them,' says Chino. 'I'm not surprised he left." John and Chi stepped in to fill the vacancies.
With this lineup, the Deftones were able to finally get things in gear. Their sound began to progress beyond the blatant Primus sound they'd started with into an amazing and powerful hybrid of rap, metal and grunge, a common description these days, but there's nothing common about the way the Deftones deliver it.

Chino's singing has become quite strong. His vocals jump from snarls and growls to smooth ballads to rapid fire rap seemingly effortlessly as if three different people were singing. His stage presence is absolutely captivating. He'll start a song lightly swaying to the rhythms or dancing and the next thing you know he's flying off the stage or smashing a mic stand like a man possessed. Most of the music is written by Stephen. Chino writes the lyrics. "I can't write lyrics," says Stephen, "when I try, they come out cheesy as hell."
"We have a lot of serious music," says Chino, "a lot of anger and depression, but then we write stupid ass songs like Too Many Freaks. It's dumb, but it's fun. I'm down with going with any vibe."
"My favorite songs are the songs you wrote before I got in the band," says John. "Yeah, when you joined, we started writing white guy songs," laughs Chi. "We went from heavy Pearl Jam influences to Bruce Springsteen."
"We get together a lot for practices but we end up arguing all the time and nothing gets done," says Steph. "Our problem is wee like everything."
No doubt, the diversity of the band's tastes work for them as well as against them. But then the Deftones can argue over anything. It's one of their favorite things to do.
"When I drive around," says Steph, "all I listen to is KHYL (oldies), or 1380 (classic soul)." I listen to metal, but only good metal.'
"You don't listen to good metal, cause you still listen to Trouble," says Chi.
"Trouble ain't metal, Trouble is sweet."
"They suck'
"They're sweet"
"They suck."
"They're sweet. People who listen to Trouble are never gonna change their minds, cause Trouble is sweet!' End of subject.So with that completely unresolved, the other guys tell me of their musical faves.
"I like weird stuff,' says John, "Naked City, John Zorn, Frank Zappa."
"Smashing Pumpkins" says Chino, "is my favorite band in the whole world."
"I listen to Mark Curry every day," says Chi. Adding, 'I like stuff like Tracy Chapman. Morrissey is my favorite singer-songwriter." "Great," mutters Chino, "There goes half our audience."
Of course, we all love Far, and I think Shannon Savage is great," continues Chino, referring to some of our local talent. "Phallucy and Monkey Drive,' says Chi.
"I like Cake," says Steph. These guys are pretty in touch with the local scene. Of course it helps that they're pros at sneaking into teh Cattle Club. It's gotten to the point where Stef shows up and says "put it on my tab" at teh front door. God help him if the ever present him with a tab.
The band for the most part is pretty self-contained. They have a handful of people who help them here and there. Most notably is their manager, Dave Park. 'We put up our own posters and stuff, but it's not like we have roadies, or anything," says Chi.
"None" affirms Chino.
"Never had," continues Chi. "Probably never will," finishes Jon.
"One time," says Chino, "we were playing a show at The Stone. It was me, Stephen, and Chi. We got all the equipment packed in the back of Chi's car and we're squeezed in there.
It was the same night as Metallica and Guns'n Roses, and we're driving down the freeway outside of the City. There's all these limos and they're passing us and these people are all waving and yelling Metallica. I'm thinkin, 'look at us, we must look like four hella-nerds in this beat-up Nissan station wagon.' I thought if we ever get big, play the coliseum or somethin', this is the way I wanna do it. Just pull up in this beat-up Nissan in front of everyone and start unloading. They'd all be hey, isn't that the band that's playing tonight?' It'd be the coolest!"
"Anyway, we don't need roadies," says Chi sarcastically, "Stephen knows everything cuz (a) his cousin is in Testament, and (b) he used to roadie for FMK, and that makes him omnipotent,"
"There was a time when I wanted to do everything, the business side, everything," says Stephen.
"That's promoter stuff," says Chi. "I don't think bands should deal with all that. I think it's lame when bands try to be promoters. As far as promoting goes, bands should just hang up flyers, maybe. They shouldn't fuckin' overstep their boundaries."
"What's overstepping your boundaries?" asks Steph. uh oh. Here we go again.'There's no boundaries in music."
"No, that's not true," says Chi.
"You can't go anywhere unless you overstep boundaries!" says Steph loudly. "It's not that black and white, Stephen."
"Dude, it is that black and white! Stop fuckin' making shades of everything."
"There's no such thing as black and white in anything, Stephen. Period."
"Fuckin'-A! That's why there is no such thing as black and white, it's cuz of people like you."
"Hold on, hold on," says Chino, "there's no such thing as lavender and pink."
Yah, well with that completely unresolved, we decide to leave Shawana's and head for the Weatherstone to meet with their manager, Dave.
The band originally came into contact with Dave while Steph was "roadie-ing" for FMK. Dave was FMK's manager. He's a very serious fellow, very organized, very precise. The kind of person you couldn't imagine managing a bunch of musicians, especially the Deftones. And yet, he calmly performs his duties, keeping everything on course.
"We were impressed because he always carried a briefcase," says Chi.
Dave is always pushing the band to deliver on their potential. He is their biggest critic.
John says, "I'm glad he's working for us. He busts his ass."
"He works harder than any of us in the band does." adds Chi.
When we get to the Weatherstone, the place is packed. It's still raining so all the caffeine junkies are hanging out inside. We get ourselves set up with a little vitamin J (Java). Dave is there, and we resume our interview.
"Dave is pretty hard on us sometimes," says Chino.
"Not as hard as I could be," says Dave.
"Oh! You were being a dick that night at The Terminator," exclaims Chino, pointing his finger at Dave. "I was sick, busted my ass, I got off stage and said, 'Dave, I did my best,' and he says "no you didn't". We're all laughing. Chino continues, 'No, you don't under- stand, I did the best I could, and he's 'no you didn't.' So I'm like 'fuck you Dave,' and I threw a bottle against the wall."
"I know what you guys are capable of," says Dave calmly, as always.
"The motherfucker made up some shit,' says Chino,'about whoever fucks up at oractice has to take off an article of clothing. We was gonna be buck naked in the studio."
'John was in these red bikini briefs," says Chi, laughing.
Dave says, 'Yeah, he was down to his underwear."
"I couldn't concentrate, he looked like a white grover, or a fuckin' superman," laughs Chi. "Sometimes Dave gets a little carried away. He's got Steph on the Tommy LaSorda plan. He's got me on a dental plan. He's trying to separate Chino's one eyebrow and we're trying to get John into a tanning salon and find him a black wig."
Dave handles many of the unsavory aspects of the music business. He is constantly in touch with label reps for these guys. He confident they'll be signed to a major label.
"Dave's gonna put us where we want to be," says Chi.
"I know we'll be on MTV someday," says Steph. "Hell, with Dave workin'with us, he's not gonna let it not happen."
"Dave has one name," says Chi, "and straight up it's Hollywood."
"No, he's got three names," laughs Steph, 'Money, Business and Short-Shorts," referring to Dave's fondness for way-too-tight white shorts. Dave is also helping the guys get a tape recorded. Stephen doesn't like it.
"I hate it," he says.
'You haven't heard it," says Chi.
"I've heard it."
"There's no recording of it."
"I got a recording of it."
"It's not even mixed down." And so on, and so on. Man these guys like arguing. I asked them how long they'll be able to put up with each other.
"Four more weeks," says Steph.
"The end is near," laughs John.

Mid December
The Crest show is a sell-out! 1,000 people have turned out for an all local show. The Deftones played one of their best shows ever. Chino was on stage in front of their biggest audience. He points to Steph, "this is my Mexican friend;" and then to Chi, "this is my Chinese friend." And then asks, "can any of you find the white guy?" The crowd loves it.
They've come a long way since playing with playing with Psychefunkapus, but so has the whole Sacto scene. In a way, the Deftones represent this change better than anyone. They started out having to play for big name out-of-town bands to get exposure, now local bands and out-of-town bands are opening for the Deftones for the same reason. In fact, the very funk scene that gave the Deftones their start has all but died.
The big name bands that were once a shot in the arm to the local scene, now more times than not, bring out less people than the locals would've if they'd played by themselves. And recently the biggest shows have been shows with just local bands. The Deftones are definitely one of those bands.
A week later Far sells out the Cattle Club at their CD release show. The Deftones manage to get back from their shitty SF booking in time to see them. And Chino even helps Jonah tear up the stage a little as a grand finale.

Late December
It's New Year's Eve. Kai Kin has just sold out the Cattle Club. Word going around is that John Taylor is no longer in the Deftones. What the fuck! I try to get the story from Dave, but he's pretty shitfaced. Dave gets real friendly when he's been drinking. I'm afraid he's gonna kiss me. Two days later he leaves a calm well-worded statement on my answering machine about the split being a mutual thing. "Hell," I'm thinking, "nothing the Deftones do is mutual; Those guys love to fight." That's probably what lead to this. I call Chino. He tells me it basically came down to creative differences, Creative differences, I guess that's a nice way of saying too much argument.
Well, it's a strange way to end the year. Hell, it's a strange way to end the story, but that's where we are. If everything feels up in the air, thats cuz it is. What's gonna happen with the Deftones? Who's gonna be the next big band? Good questions, all of em. And well, with that completely unresolved...
- Jerry Perry

chi_no

Deftones Interview from "Alive And Kickin" - December, 1991

First, a little back- ground on these Deftones guys. The band formed as a punk/funk four-piece in the summer of '88 with Stephan on guitar, Dominic on bass, Abe on drums and Chino singing. After about a 2 years Abe leaves to join Phallucy as their new drummer. Dominic moved to drums and Chi joined the Deftones on bass. Soon, however, Dominic also left the band to join Phallucy. They now have John from the band It's Not What You Think drummin' with 'em. I suggest maybe the Deftones should challenge Phallucy to a grudge bowling match, but that they exclude Abe and Dominic from bowling because, obviously, their loyalties are in question. They liked the idea, but added they have no hard feelings, though they would take great pleasure in defeating Phallucy.

We then reminisced about the great drive-ins of Sacramento's past. The Thunderbird! The Aather! Chi said the first drive-in movie he ever saw was The Bad News Bears at the South Gate Drive-in. Stephan told us a few sneaking-into-drive-in stories, which came as no surprise to me since my earliest encounters with him were while he was trying to scam his way into The Cattle Club. His classic technique was leaving his Walkman at the door while he went in to find someone and then not coming out for hours. 'Yeah,' smiled Stephan, 'that Walkman just bit the dust. I calmly removed the batteries and the tape, which was lodged in there. That's what pissed me - threw me over the edge. I didn't think I'd get my tape out, but somehow I peeled it out, took off my headphones, got a runnin' start and sent that thing flyin'. Smashed it up, right in the middle of the Payless parking lot. He used to do that shit at practice,' said Chino, laughing. 'All the time,' added Stephan, 'I'd pick up Dominic's distortion pedal when that shit would cut out, and throw it across the room. I'd fix it every time.'

I remember one time during a soundcheck at The Cattle Club I thought Stephan was gonna kill one of his bandmates over some sort of reoccurring f*ck-up. Nothing happened, though. The only time I know of any band ever exchanging blows at The Cattle Club was Fault, who immediately broke up and then reformed the next day. Man, I love good rock-n-roll gossip and the Deftones have lots of it, most of it invomng their former bassist Dominic. Chino told of practices at Dominic's familys house. 'Man, there'd be these chihuahuas runnin' around all ever the place, and we'd always have to give someone's car a jumpstart, or drive videos back to the store.' 'One time 'added Stephan, 'they held all our equipment hostage. We told 'em we'd give 'em $10 for being so cool and lettin' us practice there, and they just busted out and said 'You guys can't get your equipment 'till we get that ten bucks. 'I'd go over there and my amps would be hooked up to the stereo.' 'Hah,' laughed Chi, 'they'd hook the P.A. up to the television and make stereo Nintendo. But there's no doubt that Dominic and us are good friends. We used to bag on each other for days.'

As our conversation continued, we talked about Public Enemys new album, stolen leaf-blowers, and Married With Children. Somehow we got to talkin' about deer hunting. I think Jay started that topic. He also ended it by suggesting that the most challenging way to kill a deer was not by gun or bow, but by freezing it in the road with your headlights and hitting it with your truck. The boys told me that they had a tape coming out soon and we decided we would do a release show at the club. By this time it was very, very late and we all agreed it had been a quality night, full of guns, gossip, and beer.
- Jew Pew

chi_no

1998–1994 Timeline

Camilo Morneo introduces Stephen Carpenter to Abraham Cunningham and Dominic Garcia.
Stef names the band.

Deftones start recording their first song.
The band makes it's debut live performance.

Abe leaves the band.
Dom replaces Abe on drums.
Chi Cheng joins The Deftones
Dom leaves the band.
The band releases it's first demo cassette.

John Taylor joins The Deftones.
The Deftones make their debut TV performance.
The band releases three demo cassettes.

The Deftones release three demo cassettes.

Abe joins the band.
John leaves.
Deftones go on their first tour
The band releases a demo cassette.

Deftones start performing outside Sacramento.
The band releases a master and a promo demo cassette. Deftones start working on their first album.

chi_no

DefAlx

Thanks for the rarities.
I think the topic should be 1988-1994 not 1998-1994

slyartwork

Pics from this session are post Adrenaline:

Taken in San Diego, 1995
DUTCH DEFTONES FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/dutchdeftones

DUTCH DEFTONES TUMBLR: http://dutchdeftones.tumblr.com

ARTWORK SITE: www.slyartwork.com

Penicks

chi_no

Quote from: slyartwork on Nov 22, 2014, 03:35 PM
Pics from this session are post Adrenaline:

Taken in San Diego, 1995

My bad!
Thank you!
Chi's mustache should have reminded me.

chi_no

Quote from: DefAlx on Nov 22, 2014, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the rarities.
I think the topic should be 1988-1994 not 1998-1994

My bad! - Type-o.

chi_no

Quote from: slyartwork on Nov 22, 2014, 03:49 PM
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.594167537298444.1073741831.594163383965526&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.594167133965151.1073741830.594163383965526&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.724909597557570.1073741862.594163383965526&type=3

Yea, I believe most of us have seen these, but I personaly search for the original version of pictures with no watermarks on 'em for me and other people to use.
Though the ones you have are with the best quality.

chi_no

http://defjef.tripod.com/1990pics.htm
Screenshots from the band's first live TV performance back in 1991.

III

Are there any photos of them in the studio during the recording of Adrenaline?

chi_no

Quote from: III on Nov 23, 2014, 02:15 AM
Are there any photos of them in the studio during the recording of Adrenaline?
I believe there are but haven't leaked yet.

chi_no

gottsu

Nice thread :)

I haven't seen few Chino skating and high school photos until now  8)

Soon I will post in here all the Adrenaline demo tapes in lossless quality  ;)

chi_no

Quote from: gottsu on Nov 23, 2014, 09:03 PM
Nice thread :)

I haven't seen few Chino skating and high school photos until now  8)

Soon I will post in here all the Adrenaline demo tapes in lossless quality  ;)

Cool!
I guess you'll be posting them in the Deftones Download & Request Thread II topic.

digital bath

I can only agree, nice and interesting thread:)

I really wonder why there was no thread like this before, I mean one which puts all the "pre Adrenaline stuff" together, or was there?

tarkil

Damn, I never read these interviews from 1991-1993, that was GREAT !!

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.