Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Find me a new hobby

Started by An bád dubh, Dec 20, 2014, 06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An bád dubh

Alright, so basically I need a new hobby. Why? Because I do not have enough hobbies, which leads me to getting bored which leads me to being lazy which makes me unmotivated and feeling down.

Suggest hobbies for me! And if you too need a new hobby, post why and what you like so people can help you out.

What I like and about my hobbies: Music, mainly listening to it. I also enjoy playing the guitar and the piano but am unmotivated to do that at the moment. Similarly, Im at the moment very unmotivated to make music, which I tried during the fall. I like to write about music on this board but its probably mostly because I dont have enough hobbies. I like sports, ice-hockey to be exact. And to be more exact, I like my favorite team and read everything about it and watch all the games. I dont like to write about sports nor do I do much sports because my knee is not 100 %. I like to eat. I dont like to cook so much, luckily my wife enjoys cooking. I cant do some stuff that Ive liked such as gambling because I have a rather addictive nature. Similarly, I do not want my hobby to be anything related to selling, buying or overall money. I dont drink anymore, nor do I smoke or do drugs, so that cant be a hobby. I watch a lot of TV and Youtube videos, mostly again because of boredom and lack of real hobbies. I like languages, Im studying german at the moment and might start italian next. But I dont have motivation do "study" them besides the one hobby class I have weekly. Im not very high on technology. I dont have friends who I could hang around with doing nothing or something. So the hobby would have to involve either me alone or people who I do not really know from before. I have an 8 to 4 job and Im free all weekends, so I have a plenty of free time. I have started watching loads of movies lately, but again, mostly out of boredom and lack of hobbies. In the past Ive enjoyed playing video games but I do not have a computer good enough to play games like Call of Duty etc. I just bought a cheap tablet computer which I could use to play some fun games. I like to research things, but only if Im interested in them or I have a reason to do it. I dont do much handicrafts, although I can do some renovating if needed. I dont like going to concerts or shows so much, I enjoy rather watching shows from youtube. I like to help people out, buf feel like the help is not very often appreciated, which makes me less motivated to help in the future. I dont like to read books or magazines, I get bored and my mind starts to wander.

Thats about it. Suggest any and all hobbies, anything! I will really really appreciate it.

Northcal

digital bath

digital bath

You could start collecting things, like Deftones stuff and from other bands.
Or any kind of sport, like running in the nature, it will keep your healthy and motivation to do other things.

Crazylegs

For the warmer seasons (I don't remember, but assume you're finnish. Since you're fond of kingston wall and hockey) i suggest fly fishing. That's basically two hobbies in one (fishing, and tying flies).

Or... book binding or something of the sort. I know i would go for some kind of craft if i was to find a new hobby. Unfortunately/Fortunately i already have too many.

black coffee

What about buying an old console? Xbox360 and PS3 are cheap now, and you can get nice packages for little money on Ebay. One of my siblings sold his 360 for 50 € ( about 60$ ) with two controllers ( one cable, one wireless ) and 7 or 8 games which is an incredible deal for whoever bought it.

Another idea that comes to my mind is doing a sport and not straining the knee too much. Like for instance you can play tennis and just hit some easy balls without running much or you can compete like Rafael Nadal and destroy you body. Very cool sport that you can do for a long time as well. 

Then of course there is Chess. In my opinion the ultimate 1vs1 but maybe I only say that because I suck at FIFA ^_^

An bád dubh

Thanks for the tips!

Im not motivated enough for running at the moment, I take long walks with my wife during the summer but right now its way too cold and icy for that too (nicely assumed with the finnish Crazylegs, it was spot on :D ). Tennis and other similar sports would be really cool but as I mentioned, I dont really have friends who would be interested in doing sports. Nor do I have friends who are interested in playing chess, dont have real friends really. Lost my sporting friends when I destroyed my knee and lost my bar-friends when I stopped drinking. Other friends have disappeared while moving between various countries and cities.

I do fish during the summer, with a fishing rod and worms. But the summer is short. Collecting things has not felt like my thing on adult age, I used to collect NHL-cards when I was a kid so that was a good call anyways. Same goes with book binding, I dont think I have the endurance or nerves to concentrate on something like that.

Buying an old console sounds cool. Ive never had a console. I am very social and need social interaction, so being social online by playing games with others would be rather cool. It does not get me off the couch that much, but its probably still better than just watching pointless TV-shows and youtube-videos alone. Im gonna look into that. I used to play a lot of Medal of Honor Allied Assault online, but then that game became obsolete when the Call of Duty -series became popular. My computer couldnt handle the newer games and I never felt like buying a game-computer. Console could be cool, thanks for the idea.

I also had an idea yesterday about buying a movie camera and start filming different things. Came to me after I watched Exit Through the Gift Shop yesterday. Regardless of whether Mr Brainwash is a real artist or just a front for Banksy-pieces, it was an inspiring story. And about that, I could add that its really important for me that a hobby gives me something in the long run, in the future. Let it be friends, or fame or money (though it cant be the main goal) or some professional use or whatever. If I dont feel like what I do gives me something, I rather just do something that really doesnt give me anything for the future, like watching TV or some other pointless thing.

Keep the ideas coming if you have any more.

black coffee

no friend needed for those activities. Just go to a chess club or tennis club and talk to a trainer / coach there. A free trial lesson is usually offered and then you can make a decision. Its also a nice way to meet new people, maybe even make new friends.

An bád dubh

Thats a great attitude. I will try to have the courage to just do something like that. Its not easy for me though as I get annoyed with new people rather quickly and I "leave" new people rather easily if I get a feeling that they are getting annoyed with me or if I dont feel appreciated. I'll see what I can do here when it comes to clubs regarding those and/or other hobbies. Although honestly I really dont very easily see myself just going to a random club with random people. Should just find the courage I guess.

digital bath

or you could do some kind of volunteering, like in a kindergarten or so, play them some songs or so, I don't know.
Or you could be an ice hockey coach or co trainer for the local juniors or children team.
Or ask your wife about, maybe you will find a hobby together, it could brings your relationship closer.
Or maybe you could get a pet, for example a dog. Then you have to go outside daily, have motion and fresh air, meet new people while walking which also have a dog, maybe you become new friends this way..
A dog is a lot of work, like a little child, but also enriches your life, a dog can give you unlimited love, as long you gave him to eat, cuddle him and clean his shit from the streets haha^^

An bád dubh

Quote from: digital bath on Dec 21, 2014, 10:35 PM
or you could do some kind of volunteering, like in a kindergarten or so, play them some songs or so, I don't know.
Or you could be an ice hockey coach or co trainer for the local juniors or children team.
Or ask your wife about, maybe you will find a hobby together, it could brings your relationship closer.
Or maybe you could get a pet, for example a dog. Then you have to go outside daily, have motion and fresh air, meet new people while walking which also have a dog, maybe you become new friends this way..
A dog is a lot of work, like a little child, but also enriches your life, a dog can give you unlimited love, as long you gave him to eat, cuddle him and clean his shit from the streets haha^^
Fun tips, thanks :)

Merry Christmas guys, I'll be back in a week or so.

An bád dubh

Alright, I think that the way to go for me at this stage is to buy a console (either playstation 3 or Xbox 360) and some games. Searching for suitable packages. Secondly, I am buying a digital video camera. Gonna start filming different things and will see how I like it. Most likely will make some home movies with occasional music on top of transitions, or in the background etc.

I pondered about sports but I dont feel like it at the moment. Would have to really force myself so Im gonna let it be for a while. Also thought about buying an electric guitar (as I only have acoustics) but figured that Im not gonna be motivated to play it if Im not motivated to play the acoustics at the moment either. The "hobby" has to be something new to me, to lift that motivation.

We'll see how it goes. Any suggestions on the gaming consoles or the cameras are appreciated.

black coffee

Compare the controllers, then then take the console with the controller that suits you better.

Crazylegs

Agreed. I've always been a supporter of 360. The controller, in my opinion, is far superior to the ps3 controller. But at this point, unless you're planning on playing lots of sports- and/or fps-games, i'd say it doesn't really matter. Both systems have a great library of games.

An bád dubh

Good point on the controller. I didnt even realize that there were differences between them. I better try some controllers in stores and see which I prefer better and put some emphasis on it when choosing the console.

And I am actually planning to play pretty much solely fps-games and sports games (as well as racing). If I do like the controller on the PS3, I will most likely buy that one, as there are loads of offers on them now as the PS4 has come out (and people have gotten them as Christmas presents). Also, I've understood, hopefully correctly, that playing Xbox online (multiplayer) costs some money per month, and for PS3 the online playing is free, so that sounds good to me too. I would be playing online multiplayer approx 70 % of the time I spend on playing.

Crazylegs

That's a definite plus on the ps3 side. Personally though, i would argue that the 360 controller is a whole lot better for fast paced games where you move the analogue sticks around a lot.
First of all, the ps3 controller is small for man-hands; Second, the analogue sticks are placed awkwardly which in combination with the third point; the analogue sticks are convex, which makes for some pretty slippy conditions if things get hectic.

However,  that might just be something you notice after getting so used to the 360 controller...

black coffee

For me the main reason to buy the 360 6-7 years ago instead of PS3 was also the superior controller.

But looking back, a bluray drive and free online gaming would've been nice, too in all those years.

I believe this was the last time a console gamer had to make a decision like this. The PS4 controller improved while the Xbone controller declined. Both have bluray, both have pay for online play. Now with both systems being so similar, it doesn't really matter which one to pick which I think is too bad.

An bád dubh

Alright, I went with the PS3. Now I just need to see which games to order. Im getting sports and racing games with the package I ordered, but I want to order some war/action games too. Thinking about ordering GTA5 because tehres a lot of people playing it online and its a bit of everything in its multiplayer: shooting, socializing, racing etc. Then from war games Im thinking about Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, as there seems to be a lot of people playing it online. Do you know other games which would have a big number of online players?

I also ordered a digital video camera and will start trying it out. Im getting both in mail in the beginning of next week.

Haha by the way I have rather small man-hands so the size of the PS3 controller wont probably be a problem. I also figured that I will get used to the controller as Ive never used either one more than just a few short game sessions here and there. The convex analogue sticks can be slippery for sure though.

Penicks

buy:
killzone 2 & 3
uncharted 1, 2 & 3
god of war 3
metal gear solid 4
infamous 1 & 2
resistance 1, 2 & 3
journey
flower
the last of us
twisted metal
motorstorm 1, 2 & 3
ni no kuni
little big planet 2
ratchet and clanks

jesus christ so many exclusives off the top of my head

An bád dubh

Thanks for the game tips! I will probably try some games as demo versions on the PS-Store and see what I like.