Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones new album

Started by tarkil, Feb 11, 2015, 01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luisch

I have some new clues.

Fact: Officially, Matt Hyde is working with the band (he works as recording engineer and co-produces KNY record), maybe that is the name of the guy who was in the TS performance cant remember.

In another hand, he's busy with Soulfly  rigth now (starts work with they in January) and he's working in the new Slayer record, so we dont know.

Fact: Deftones are actually in Los Angeles, confirmed, but they work some part of the record (writting o pre-production process) in Seattle, not in LA. They are recording in Megawatts Recording, same studio where Date record the Slayer new album, with the same console of Terry uses for record, a Neve 8058 MKII.

Matt Hyde are in the list of producers of the studio, since february, and before, since they was with the band writting the new album.

Bottom line:

We dont know nothing, Jon Snow.
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

DeftonesNZ

Yeah it shouldn't take that long to finish but unfortunately the record companies don't always feel it should be put out as soon as possible, I wouldn't put it past Warner to hold on to the album until a time they believe would sell better, like a time where the album is likely to get more exposure whether it be avoiding similar artists releases or wanting to piggyback off those with combined tours and cross promotion, I wish they would just put it out but I can see how Warner could be looking at it differently.

Inkblades

Yeah, you have to keep in mind marketing and record label politics and all that shite. It would be cool if they dropped in summer, though. They haven't really done that since White Pony.

And there's no way in hell TS is coming out before DT. I was hoping that would be the case, but I guess not.

Sicario

This album is gonna be poppy as fuck
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

E-Money

Was really hoping we would get the team sleep record before new deftones but whatever... As long as we get team sleep eventually I'm cool with it...

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Heisenberg on Feb 26, 2015, 09:03 PM

What makes you think so? Please elaborate

luisch

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Feb 26, 2015, 10:40 PM

Yup, I wanna know. Terry and Matt recently works with Slayer and Soulfly. Not poppy at all. IMO.

Sicario

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Feb 26, 2015, 10:40 PM

I was kidding. I mean I may have been subconsciously alluding to the general pattern of heavier bands getting "softer" or more refined as they age. Which is not entirely a bad thing if the music is good. I don't think it will be poppy at all. I was just making a stupid comment to jump in on the conversation rather than saying something relevant. I have failed at the internet today  :'(
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

el perro

I don't really care anymore what their new album sounds like but I hope they stop with the lazy song writing that's plagued their last few records. There's a few exceptions but mostly the songs have weak dynamics and settle for simple structures.   

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 26, 2015, 08:49 PM
Yeah, you have to keep in mind marketing and record label politics and all that shite. It would be cool if they dropped in summer, though. They haven't really done that since White Pony.

And there's no way in hell TS is coming out before DT. I was hoping that would be the case, but I guess not.
I think we'll get the live cd before Deftones atleast, also Todd commmented on one of his videos saying they're going to have multiple releases this year so we may get some stuff from them with out it necessarily being the album.

rainnyx4

Quote from: el perro on Feb 26, 2015, 11:34 PM
I don't really care anymore what their new album sounds like but I hope they stop with the lazy song writing that's plagued their last few records. There's a few exceptions but mostly the songs have weak dynamics and settle for simple structures.   

Dumbest thing I've heard in a while.  The song structures and writing on KNY are the most progressive stuff they've done by a mile.

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Feb 27, 2015, 06:45 AM
Quote from: el perro on Feb 26, 2015, 11:34 PM

Dumbest thing I've heard in a while.  The song structures and writing on KNY are the most progressive stuff they've done by a mile.
Yeah the quality of the song is a debatable point but I think the complexity is there, compare just the use of guitars, most songs used two guitars with intros/outros between songs, also I don't think Deftones are ones for abnormal structures anyway, apart from Adrenaline which had more variation its usually pretty straight forward, riff1 4x riff2 4x riff1 4x  bridge etc. Someone who gets into time signatures may be able to tell me when they've gone progressive but having played all this songs on guitar I don't see it.

nicklav

Steph needs to use the other 7 strings on the guitar and Chino needs to sing to his abilities. Literally all I want. No more chug chug on the bottom string and Chino straining to hit notes.

DeftonesNZ

Yeah agree about Steph on DE he was just stuck on those low strings, to be fair he did that on S/T as-well which I liked but he was in a different range where it was heavy but not muddy like the 8 string,  the signs where good on KNY he played with more range and Chino playing some higher register stuff offset it nicely so if they could build on that I think it'd be alright. I think Chino's voice will be fine on the album but live is another story.

luisch

82IR@Q

best tones album since 2003 ... Im calling it !

watch.... look at that drum setup!  back to pure rhythm with vocals overlaying .

Date is back and the gits will be more complex because Stef went back 2 school while they had time off and got some more theory behind him.
Chino is gonna lay back on guitar (like he supposedly did with Eros) focus on his throat and belt out some great melodies. Serg is gonna lay down some dirty armpit smelling  raw earth toned licks on that bass inspired from his time touring with old mates and giving a tribute to Chi  in his own way since this is the 1st since his passing..

this albums going to be awesome

cant wait until Oct. or Nov.

defsteve

Previous releases

Adrenaline - April
Around The Fur - October
White Pony - June
Deftones - May
B-Sides & Rarities - October
Saturday Night Wrist - October
Diamond Eyes - May
Koi No Yokan - November

New album - October would be my guess.
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

deftoner664

Based on that picture of Abe it looks like his kit is using the Kick drum and Snare from Koi No Yokan sessions and the toms from the White Pony era/sessions.

Also this is pretty exciting

Quote from: luisch on Feb 26, 2015, 03:55 PM

Fact: Deftones are actually in Los Angeles, confirmed, but they work some part of the record (writting o pre-production process) in Seattle, not in LA. They are recording in Megawatts Recording, same studio where Date record the Slayer new album, with the same console of Terry uses for record, a Neve 8058 MKII.

Matt Hyde are in the list of producers of the studio, since february, and before, since they was with the band writting the new album.

I'll always want Terry back in on production for Deftones.. But I think I'm okay if a completely new guy comes in, other than Nick.  Hoping for more updates soon.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

N0S3BLEED976

Also, Chino seems to have a new guitar that he uses in the studio.

https://instagram.com/p/zikkIsy1T0/

https://instagram.com/p/zfJequS1Q-/

Sorry, I'm not sure how to implement pics with my phone browser. BB code doesn't seem to work

luisch

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on Mar 01, 2015, 10:32 PM
Also, Chino seems to have a new guitar that he uses in the studio.

https://instagram.com/p/zikkIsy1T0/

https://instagram.com/p/zfJequS1Q-/

Sorry, I'm not sure how to implement pics with my phone browser. BB code doesn't seem to work

amazing (and very expensive) guitar.