Deftones new album

Started by tarkil, Feb 11, 2015, 11:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luisch

2gether

From EMG to Fishman

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

deftoner664

Excited about Stephen going to Fishman pickups, because it should offer new tonality to his neck- thru body ESPs'. Majority of his guitars throughout his career have been equipped with EMGs and were a staple to his tone. I'm glad he's switching it up..  Notice the big pile of expo markers on that table in the first pic? Maybe we'll get some studio pics of some working song titles like we did in the past.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

KID_CHAINSAW

Quote from: Inkblades on Mar 06, 2015, 01:58 AM
Is Sergio wearing a bootleg hat with a horribly disfigured New York Yankees logo or is a logo of some hip new clothing brand? As a native New Yorker, it's throwing me the FUCK off.

Yeah, this is driving me nuts as well.

deftoner664

like that little snippet.. seems like an intro that is going to build into something great.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

luisch

Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

ZND84

word on the street, chad kroeger from nickelback will be featured on a track.......JK I would maybe boycott them

Freedomsoldier17

i would be fkn scarred forever if that happened

mrpelon94

sounds like a goof...lol..im dying to hear new material

N0S3BLEED976

They recorded 16 songs? I wouldn't mind them to actually put them all on the record, if you ask me

Crazylegs

For the sake of the album, they better not.

Inkblades

Yeah, 16 might be too much for a tracklisting, but I'll happily take some bonus tracks. And maybe, hopefully, we will hear new TS before new DT.

Jesus2Chino

Sounds promising to me! It at least means they were focusing on what a lot of us considered to be one of their weaker points these past couple of albums: overly predictable songwriting. Honestly I wouldn't at all mind a 16 track album (however it's structured doesn't much matter to me--with bonus tracks or whatever would be fine). After my first listens to KNY and DE I remember that distinct feeling of wishing there was a bit more album. With their average song length, 16 songs would only take a 45 minute album to an hour and 10 minute album, which sounds great to me, haha. Anywho, if they're planning on beginning mixing and mastering in March/April, I'm staying silently hopeful over a fall release *knock on wood*. Weee, love the tortuous months preceding a new album cycle!

Much respect,
-Matt
Much respect,
-Matt

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Crazylegs on Mar 10, 2015, 04:26 PM
For the sake of the album, they better not.

True. But hopefully it's not just 11 tracks again, with the five others falling into oblivion. That would be a waste of creativity.

N0S3BLEED976

I'm curious how their approach to write less straightforward songs pans out. Hopefully it doesn't mean more Romantic Dreams and less Poltergeists. Probably does, though... :/

Moz

What I HOPE it means is that they try to some strange sound and less conversional song structure.

Yes, like White Pony. Just take the first song on the record, Feiticeira. It doesn't have a normal structure (couplet / refrain / couplet / refrain), it uses strange sounds. Almost all songs on White Pony are like that.

Since ST, I feel like they use more 'normal' structures. I'd like some more leftfield approaches. I'm not slamming the entire discography since ST, I love that album and Diamond Eyes and KNY as well (and I like Saturday Night Wrist), but some more 'out there' music would be great.

beansandcornbread

Anything around an hour would be great.  It can't be too long for me.  2 more hours.

buddyboy101

Quote from: Moz on Mar 11, 2015, 05:27 PM
What I HOPE it means is that they try to some strange sound and less conversional song structure.

Yes, like White Pony. Just take the first song on the record, Feiticeira. It doesn't have a normal structure (couplet / refrain / couplet / refrain), it uses strange sounds. Almost all songs on White Pony are like that.

Since ST, I feel like they use more 'normal' structures. I'd like some more leftfield approaches. I'm not slamming the entire discography since ST, I love that album and Diamond Eyes and KNY as well (and I like Saturday Night Wrist), but some more 'out there' music would be great.

I would agree about Feit - one of the more out-there strong structure, for sure.  It doesn't even have a discernible chorus.  I thought Diamond Eyes had some weird structures too - like Royal and Cmd Ctrl - it was hard to tell what's the verse vs what's the chorus.  Anyways I don't really care of they use weird song structures or not as long as the music is solid, catchy, and well-written.  Just because something is unusual does not make it magically better.  The underlying song needs to be strong.