Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones new album

Started by tarkil, Feb 11, 2015, 01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeftonesNZ

I think it's fine for him to stick with the chuggy riffs and power chords as long as Chino is playing his more intricate/pretty riffs but would definitely like to see him get more dynamics back into his playing I'm sure by now the appeal of being able to play a riff on the low strings a get something really heavy has worn off a bit and he's now looking to see how he can use all the range the 8 provides, plus he said in that interview he's looking to get his knowledge up so maybe he's actually learnt a bit of theory or new techniques that will appear on the new stuff.

B0RNtoR0CK

Yea, as a guitar player, I'm not usually a fan of djent (chug) riffs, I feel they are boring and involve no particular skill. But, Deftones pulls it off exceptionally well thanks to the soundscapes they create. Abe's drumming, Chino's Voice, and Frank's keys, everything works in unison to create ambiance. I will have no problem whatsoever if they're new album has chugging.

I just hope Stephen uses a real amp on this album as oppose to the Axe FX (digital modeler of amps) he used on KOI NOI YOKAN. KNY lacked punch from the guitar which was apparent, I mean, listen to You've Seen the Butcher or Rocket Skates (real amp),  so much punch (from speaker movement). AXE FX straight to recording interface (Axe FX + impulse) will not give you that.

I think from the latest interviews he said hes moved on to Orange amps+cabs (away from AXE FX)?

Heres an interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_cKnDL2KjY

Robotsatemygrandma

I noticed Stef had a Kahler Tremolo installed on some guitars so it'll be interesting to see how he's utilizing it.

You're right about the AxeFx. It's a dream for intricate sounds a mish mash of pedals and amps require, but it's still digital and lacking.

I felt he was starting to experiment more with SNW than fell back to the 'Shuggah djent b.s. Snore.

Shadow46/2

Quote from: Robotsatemygrandma on Apr 14, 2015, 08:54 AM

I felt he was starting to experiment more with SNW than fell back to the 'Shuggah djent b.s. Snore.

Yeah in hindsight SNW had a really evolved sound. And it seems like they were continuing to push the envelope based off the couple of Eros tracks that got leaked. But DE and KNY definitely felt simplistic in comparison. Here's hoping for more groove-based riffage (think of Beware's outro) and melody lines (Smile, Dallas) on their next.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

defsteve

Tentative release date Monday 21st September (UK) / Tuesday 22nd September (US)

NB. Although this is likely to change as worldwide release day changing to Friday from July.

(Source was a little Chino interview on Radio 1 Rock Show last night when the London Wembley Arena show was also announced).

Papa Roach's Infest and Deftones Announcement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05rnc98

Jerry and Jacoby from Papa Roach join Dan 15 years on from the release of Infest. Chino from the Deftones announces the band's return to the UK this November. Our Rockest Record was an exclusive track from Black Peaks called 'Crooks'. And we had exclusives from In Hearts Wake, and Anti-Flag.
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

nicklav

Sept 25th according to Chino

E-Money

No way it comes out in September.

Hinojos

Quote from: E-Money on Apr 27, 2015, 11:05 PM
No way it comes out in September.

Skip to 3:20
http://loudwire.com/chino-moreno-release-date-new-deftones-album/
He said tentative so yeah it's not certain, but at least hopefully it'll be around there.

cvthedrv

you should realize that chino is a fucking liar, but i wish this time it were true, because they are coming to southamerica by the end of september.

E-Money

I hope it does come out then but usually it's delayed 4 or 5 months. I bet we get it in December or early next year. Hope I'm wrong tho.

only pieces remain

Inkblades

I'm a little worried that Chino is recording his vocals at his home studio...lol.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: Inkblades on Apr 28, 2015, 05:20 AM
I'm a little worried that Chino is recording his vocals at his home studio...lol.

Me too. He should have done them at Megawatts with Matt Hyde and the rest of the band consulting him. At home he might get too comfortable so I'm worried the vocals end up half-assed. Not to mention the inferior sound quality.

DeftonesNZ

I don't think he will he hasn't for anything else apart from TS demos, Really don't think he would do that with a Deftones record especially when he doesn't even do it for side projects which whilst done at other band members houses are done when those band members are producers themselves who have the right setup especially don't see why he would do that when he's already at the studio with the rest of the guys doing his guitar parts would be stupid for him to then leave and record them at home.

DeftonesNZ

Just listened to the interview Chino did, Interesting what he said about their song writing and how their looking more into their song structure wonder if that means time signatures and what not, I know Stephen wanted to learn more theory so maybe he's done that and is working in polyrythms or something, going to be cool to see what the results going to be now they've made a point to focus on going outside the box.

endstand

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Apr 28, 2015, 09:41 AM
I don't think he will he hasn't for anything else apart from TS demos, Really don't think he would do that with a Deftones record especially when he doesn't even do it for side projects which whilst done at other band members houses are done when those band members are producers themselves who have the right setup especially don't see why he would do that when he's already at the studio with the rest of the guys doing his guitar parts would be stupid for him to then leave and record them at home.

Could you write your opinion not in an endless sentences? It's really difficult to read your longer posts when everythign is one big sentence.
hello memory lover, you are mine

Shadow46/2

It could just be that he's writing the vocals at home, to record in studio later.

EDIT: nvm.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

deftoner664

Speaking of how Stephen and the gang are focusing on their song structures more... does anyone remember that video (post Koi No Yokan) where Stephen said he wont be tuning down his guitars anymore and is going to focus more on theory and improvement, and possibly wanted to take some MIT classes on music theory? Could someone hook me up with a Youtube link to that interview if you remember?
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

luisch

Quote from: Shadow46/2 on Apr 28, 2015, 07:48 PM
It could just be that he's writing the vocals at home, to record in studio later.

EDIT: nvm.

I was thinking the same, why spend money in studio when you can listen and write in home and record later at a professional studio? I think thats not crazy at all.
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: endstand on Apr 28, 2015, 07:21 PM
Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Apr 28, 2015, 09:41 AM

Could you write your opinion not in an endless sentences? It's really difficult to read your longer posts when everythign is one big sentence.
I'm just using paragraphs, if you can read according to punctuation it shouldn't really run on most of the time, my comma key is being dodgy lately and not putting them in when I press it.