Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Deftones new album

Started by tarkil, Feb 11, 2015, 01:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penicks

ooh i like that sound very much

N0S3BLEED976

Just listened to it with headphones. Changed my mind, it does indeed sound like something Stef would do. It reminds me of the Rosemary riff, but way heavier. So sick!

from_musings

2nd clip sounds a lot like the riff in the song "here to stay" by korn. i hope it's not on the album

xbloodycape

Quote from: from_musings on May 23, 2015, 03:23 PM
2nd clip sounds a lot like the riff in the song "here to stay" by korn. i hope it's not on the album

I have to agree with your first sentence and disagree with your second.

It does indeed sound like korn, but I wouldn't immediately dismiss it and say that I hope it isn't on the album. It's a mere 10 seconds of a song.

EDIT: got out the guitar and did some investigation. the ringing out chord in the first few seconds of the video is a D, then the lowest note played is a C#. That's pretty high on the register for Stef, seeing as he tunes to drop e.

deftoner664

Quote from: xbloodycape on May 23, 2015, 08:22 PM

EDIT: got out the guitar and did some investigation. the ringing out chord in the first few seconds of the video is a D, then the lowest note played is a C#. That's pretty high on the register for Stef, seeing as he tunes to drop e.

Drop E tuning is E,B,E,A,D,G,B,e. Its like having a standard tuned seven string guitar with a low E in the first octave for the 8th string, which is the same octave as a low E on a standard tuned 4 string bass guitar. You have access to all the higher registers (octaves) just like 6 string guitars do in standard. I for sure hear him using the low E for the majority of the riff, with the exception of the harmonic that rings out throughout  the clip as you mentioned.

edit: plus, keep in mind that Stephen is using Fishman pickups instead of EMG's... I can hear the difference in tone somewhat... sounds less compressed.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

B0RNtoR0CK

There are always going to be riffs in metal that sound similar to other bands. No reason to dislike it for that reason. Its inevitable.

sharinglungs

whos to say those 2 clips arent just Shaun Lopez playin some heavy riffs?

deftoner664

Quote from: sharinglungs on May 24, 2015, 02:42 AM
whos to say those 2 clips arent just Shaun Lopez playin some heavy riffs?

There's a chance that this could be the case, but the drum fill at the end of the 1st clip sounds alot like Abe, and in the 2nd clip I can also tell its an 8 string being played and Stephen has used plenty of dissonant harmonics in past songs.It almost sounds like a delay trail of chino's voice is bleeding thru in the very beginning of the 2nd clip too. Basically, the signs of them are there is what I'm trying to say.

xbloodycape

Quote from: deftoner664 on May 23, 2015, 10:59 PM

Drop E tuning is E,B,E,A,D,G,B,e. Its basically like having a standard tuned seven string guitar with a low E in the first octave for the 8th string, which is the same octave as a low E on a standard tuned 4 string bass guitar. You have access to all the higher registers (octaves) just like 6 string guitars do in standard. I for sure hear him using the low E for the majority of the riff, with the exception of the harmonic that rings out throughout  the clip as you mentioned.

edit: plus, keep in mind that Stephen is using Fishman pickups instead of EMG's... I can hear the difference in tone somewhat... sounds less compressed.

I know what drop E tuning is haha, but he definitely does not go below C#2 in the clip. I guess it could be explained, because Stef tunes down but sometimes moves his riffs up the neck. An example of this is Hole In The Earth, Stef is tuned to Drop F# but the song can be played in Drop D because he doesn't use anything below the 7th fret really.

edit: what I'm saying here is, I respectfully disagree, I do not believe there is an 8 or 7 string being played in either of the clips.

edit 2: what you may be hearing as the low E is probably the bass in the background. I hear a regular 6 string guitar tuned to Drop C# and a bass also tuned to drop C#.

deftoner664

Quote from: xbloodycape on May 24, 2015, 03:24 AM
Quote from: deftoner664 on May 23, 2015, 10:59 PM

Drop E tuning is E,B,E,A,D,G,B,e. Its basically like having a standard tuned seven string guitar with a low E in the first octave for the 8th string, which is the same octave as a low E on a standard tuned 4 string bass guitar. You have access to all the higher registers (octaves) just like 6 string guitars do in standard. I for sure hear him using the low E for the majority of the riff, with the exception of the harmonic that rings out throughout  the clip as you mentioned.

I know what drop E tuning is haha, but he definitely does not go below C#2 in the clip. I guess it could be explained, because Stef tunes down but sometimes moves his riffs up the neck. An example of this is Hole In The Earth, Stef is tuned to Drop F# but the song can be played in Drop D because he doesn't use anything below the 7th fret really.

edit: what I'm saying here is, I respectfully disagree, I do not believe there is an 8 or 7 string being played in either of the clips.

edit 2: what you may be hearing as the low E is probably the bass in the background. I hear a regular 6 string guitar tuned to Drop C# and a bass also tuned to drop C#.

Realize though that an 8 string can still play those exact same notes as a guitar in Drop C#. C#2 is available on the 2nd fret of the 7th string and at the 9th fret of the 8th string, so he can still play these notes. The riff resolves with a D power chord which he might be playing on the 3rd fret of the 7th string or even a bar chord at the 10th fret of the 8th string.. these note choices are all in the 2nd octave.

82IR@Q

that clip is definitely Deftones.

anyone got a full pic / link/ info of  that mural in the backdrop  ?

looks like some Tibetan Book of the Dead type style physical art .

beautiful

N0S3BLEED976

https://instagram.com/p/3IQZDZPWE5/

Maybe a new clip? Nah, I think it sounds not right. It has a similar backdrop as the previous assumed Deftones clips, though.

sharinglungs

I'll guarantee you now that nothing chuck is posting is deftones related.

luisch

Quote from: sharinglungs on May 26, 2015, 07:30 PM

The first one is Jerry Cantrell, the second one I dont know, the third one isnt Deftones.
Searching the machine might reveal what you don't want to know

Lucky_Me

Whosever this last clip is, it sounds absolutely magical. :-*
Eccentricity is but a sophisticated form of insanity.

N0S3BLEED976

Quote from: luisch on May 26, 2015, 08:01 PM
Quote from: sharinglungs on May 26, 2015, 07:30 PM

The first one is Jerry Cantrell, the second one I dont know, the third one isnt Deftones.

I agree. Thought it was worth sharing anyway. You never know...

Lucky_Me

Then I'd better be checking out Alice in Chains! ;) This sounds amazing.
Eccentricity is but a sophisticated form of insanity.

Shadow46/2

Quote from: Lucky_Me on May 26, 2015, 09:28 PM
Then I'd better be checking out Alice in Chains! ;) This sounds amazing.

Jerry's guitar work is tops 'cross the board.

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on May 26, 2015, 05:48 PM

Maybe a new clip? Nah, I think it sounds not right. It has a similar backdrop as the previous assumed Deftones clips, though.

Did they take it down..? Link doesn't work for me.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

RoyalDeftonicBoy

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on May 27, 2015, 02:19 AM
Quote from: N0S3BLEED976 on May 26, 2015, 05:48 PM

Did they take it down..? Link doesn't work for me.

Yeah they took it down. I tried playing it early in the day and it had no sound.