Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Hexagram [Frank's part boosted]

Started by Vesanic, Feb 28, 2015, 02:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

I wanted to try and boost Frank's keys on Hexagram like I did on WGTB, so here it is. It's not mega obvious but it's not meant to be :

MP3
WAV

Deftones - Hexagram [Remaster]

82IR@Q

Penicks

well done, never liked frank's stuff in this song though, sounds a bit silly and kind of ruins the aggressiveness in live versions

Diplo

Perfect, not obvious but still more audible. Release the whole thing dude !

mono

goood!
when you've uploaded WGTB with Frank's part boosted, i've asked for the same in hexagram...thanks V, upload the whole song  ;)

Vesanic

Martin

Glad you did this! Do all of 'em, I'd say! :)
This is really awesome...I remember loving some songs when it first came out, others after awhile,switching back, then falling in love with them all over again when they started playing them live and Frank's parts where really audible, and it's happening again!
So fucking cool to be able to get into a record again and again and again!

M1GHTY M4VS

Decent Effort !
Source is CD or Vinyl ? Always wondered what the LP would sound like.

Freedomsoldier17

it does provide an interesting element to the song but I think the boosted keyboards work better with WGTB. i think WGTB is more needing of that atmospheric tone to "fill" the song than hexagram. great job though!

digital bath

Dude, you've made a good song even better! :)

Vesanic

Quote from: M1GHTY M4VS on Mar 01, 2015, 10:47 PM
Decent Effort !
Source is CD or Vinyl ? Always wondered what the LP would sound like.

FLAC off the single.

Quote from: Martin on Mar 01, 2015, 02:56 PM
Glad you did this! Do all of 'em, I'd say! :)

That'd be tough, haha.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

deftoner664

Hey V, really like what you're doing with this S/T stuff. Care to elaborate on the production of this? I kinda figured you do not have Stems from the Selftitled album, so you must be using some kind of extraction plugin/software in a DAW to separate Franks parts in order to boost them?
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

beansandcornbread

82IR@Q

do "Good Morning" .....that end deserves a boost

DeftonesNZ

Quote from: deftoner664 on Mar 02, 2015, 04:25 PM
Hey V, really like what you're doing with this S/T stuff. Care to elaborate on the production of this? I kinda figured you do not have Stems from the Selftitled album, so you must be using some kind of extraction plugin/software in a DAW to separate Franks parts in order to boost them?
Yeah I'm curious too, I think they may be in a frequency range or panned in a way that allows them to be isolated, I've previously tried to isolate vocals which was pretty impossible but I could get some of the instrumentals isolated pretty well with filtering so I'm guessing it was done like that especially since it's just being dubbed back over the song again so it wouldn't matter that much if it wasn't completely isolated.

Vesanic

Yeah, sure. You guys might be bummed out, I don't know much other than the basic basics when it comes to production. It's totally DIY.

WGTB :

For the choruses, I used the audio from the first quarter of the first chorus from this performance : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37KFDTFneWY

Frank's mix was terrible by that point, you almost hear only him. But that's how I was able to boost them on the S/T version. I took that part, used a few effects to remove the extra noise, and dubbed it over the choruses.

For the bridge, I used the audio from the bridge of this performance : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF4twt_Gqg8

Again, I used effects to remove the extra noise, snare hits and so on. I'll probably end up redoing the whole thing though because the edits were done on different occasions so the original went through several re-encodes, it's pretty washed out now. It feels like it's because the boost takes too much room but really, it's just the multiple re-encodings on my part.

Hexagram :

Nothing fancy here either, I didn't actually extract Frank's effects and gave them a boost. I used a basic violin sample, added a few effects to give it that oldschool synth feel and then played with the pitch for the different parts of the choruses, and dubbed the whole thing over. I also double layered them to give them resonance without too much volume. I could have gone through a sound bank and get Frank's exact sound (or the closest thing to it) but that would have been a quest, and I'm glad enough with the sounds I generated, I'd say they sound close enough.

deftoner664

^ Nice, thanks for sharing that. Well, you did a damn good job even though you had to render it several times.. It sticks out and still fits cohesively in the mix. I know clipping can be a bitch when you boost audio and render it sometimes.  Regardless, cool idea what you're doing... because I always felt Frank stood too far back in the mix on the records prior to DE.
Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present