Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stu_101

Quote from: RaptureWS on Feb 06, 2016, 12:33 AM
I wonder if they will release another song before the album release. We have heard two songs before the release of the past three albums. With Prayers/Triangles though the artwork is the album artwork which leads me to believe this will be the only single they really promote. Not to mention the fact that it is a radio friendly song.
They will for sure. I don't believe P/T is a single - it's just the launch song. Similar approach to Leathers/Tempest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANattyRat

Quote from: Reichward on Feb 05, 2016, 09:40 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_%28album%29#Track_listing

Where does the track length info comes from? Anyone has a reliable source on this?

Haven't seen anywhere mention song lengths, it can't be reliable unless the person who posted it were in the band or involved in making the album. If it is accurate, then (L)MIRL would be the shortest ever Deftones song (I think?), and Rubicon would be the longest. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

They'll definitely release another song. Two months is quite a long time to sustain hype with just one song. Now that they've released a nice radio-friendly song to get (most of) us hyped up, hopefully the second one will be a bit more out of the box.

Inkblades

I just added up the track times and, if my math is right, they don't quite come out to 51:03 but 49:43 instead. Plus, it's on Wikipedia, so I'm taking it as someone (probably from this board) trying to pull a fast one.

bewareofrats

First full listen:  I think my favourite part is the last 30 seconds.  I really like the heavy sound and Chino's intensity, even with the effects on his voice.  This song is definitely more interesting that Swerve City.  That song had too much generic and this hints at a little more experimenting.  The chorus sounded too much like KNY to me but it is catchy and I can see it growing on me within the context of the whole song.  The echoey guitar in the verse is one of the best parts, it sounds really cool.  I like the sudden distortion transition into the chorus because I'm not sure they've done it quite like that before.
Open-minded?  Here's some short videos to challenge your thinking:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3B82C219AC3A6847

cvthedrv

im really loving this song, but im saving it for the future.

RaptureWS

Quote from: Reichward on Feb 06, 2016, 12:39 AM
Quote from: RaptureWS on Feb 06, 2016, 12:33 AM
I wonder if they will release another song before the album release. We have heard two songs before the release of the past three albums. With Prayers/Triangles though the artwork is the album artwork which leads me to believe this will be the only single they really promote. Not to mention the fact that it is a radio friendly song.
http://deftones.warnerartists.net/fr/gore/gore-180g-black-vinyl-1.html?intcmp=160203%2Fdeftones%2Fwbr%2Fspl%2Fs_pr%2Fbut%2Fbdy%2Fww%2Fgore-preorder-splash_vinyl-preorder

Bundle Includes:

Gore 180g Black Vinyl 
    Gore Digital Album 
    Prayers/Triangles Digital Single 
    Digital Single #2 - TBA

Awesome! Thanks for pointing that out.
When people whisper it makes her nervous.

E-Money

I don't hear Frank much on the track. Really enjoying the son tho. Love how Chino goes up to get it in the last chorus. Awesome stuff.

N0S3BLEED976

Yup, song is tight. I especially love the bridge and outro. Sounds pretty mean when Abe adds cymbals to his drum beat. I also like the little variations they made on the outro compared to the bridge, like Chino doing this string bending thingy and what sounds like a string being plucked. Sorry, not a guitar player, so I'm not sure how to properly describe what he's doing there.

ConcealingFate92

This song is sick!! The way that Chino sings "You'll never be free... Beware..." and then Break into screaming is something that i missed so much in KNY and DE. It's a friendly radio song, yeah,  but it's dark,  it reminded me a lot Of ST/SNW era.

I'm with a good feeling that Gore will be their best album since ST.
Always the same old taste, just a new injury...

NYRexall

Whoever is designing their merch for them needs to be smacked in the face with a wiffle ball bat. It's the same shit every time, where they just slap a square of artwork on a shirt and charge $30 for it. That sunset hoodie is especially embarrassing.

I can't believe people actually get paid as designers for that shit. I could stick a crayon up my ass, squat over a sheet of paper and come up with better designs than that..

ANattyRat

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 06, 2016, 08:09 AM
Whoever is designing their merch for them needs to be smacked in the face with a wiffle ball bat. It's the same shit every time, where they just slap a square of artwork on a shirt and charge $30 for it. That sunset hoodie is especially embarrassing.

I can't believe people actually get paid as designers for that shit. I could stick a crayon up my ass, squat over a sheet of paper and come up with better designs than that..

I like the album cover one, I've ordered that. I bought the Koi No Yokan one too, it's a nice album cover. But the sunset one, oh my god, it's like someone just put some clip art on a hoodie. Reminds me of knock-off shirts you get where they just paste a crappy image onto it.

Ah well, they do have some nice merch, but it's horribly expensive now, for some reason. Same as Glassjaw.

ToneDef

Not massively feeling this song tbh

EDIT: But it brought me back to this graveyard.

wheresmysnare

Quote from: ConcealingFate92 on Feb 06, 2016, 07:42 AM
This song is sick!! The way that Chino sings "You'll never be free... Beware..." and then Break into screaming is something that i missed so much in KNY and DE. It's a friendly radio song, yeah,  but it's dark,  it reminded me a lot Of ST/SNW era.

problem is when he tries doing that maniacal half screaming thing now it doesn't sound right to me, i imagine he's doing the same vocal technique he used in the MX chorus decades ago - only it now sounds a bit wrong and kind of reminds me of 'the best cry ever'. As someone said i think it would be better if they just let the instrumentals run over this bit.

wheresmysnare

Quote from: ToneDef on Feb 06, 2016, 02:32 PM

welcome back, you're not the only one on both accounts

ToneDef

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Feb 06, 2016, 02:40 PM

You too, man.

Having said that, as an album opener it may well end up fitting. I'm not gonna try to guess the sound of the record based one one song, unlike the forensic investigation going on above.

I'm sure the album will be of an overall high standard as always.

wheresmysnare

Quote from: ToneDef on Feb 06, 2016, 02:47 PM
Quote from: wheresmysnare on Feb 06, 2016, 02:40 PM

You too, man.

Having said that, as an album opener it may well end up fitting. I'm not gonna try to guess the sound of the record based one one song, unlike the forensic investigation going on above.

I'm sure the album will be of an overall high standard as always.

I agree, it's just a taster and i expect there will be a few highlights to come.

Sicario

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Feb 06, 2016, 02:39 PM

problem is when he tries doing that maniacal half screaming thing now it doesn't sound right to me, i imagine he's doing the same vocal technique he used in the MX chorus decades ago - only it now sounds a bit wrong and kind of reminds me of 'the best cry ever'. As someone said i think it would be better if they just let the instrumentals run over this bit.

To me his last real scream was at 2:57 during Leathers. Not that it was on par with the older ones.
RIP Chino Screams: 1995-2012ish.
P.S. I still love the band. I'm just being a nitpicky little bitch right now  ;D
Men talk of killing time while time quietly kills them.

stu_101

The BBC radio interview this morning was pretty lame. Basically, chino talking about his kids and love for Morrissey.

Although, the misses text in and I got a shout out, so that was cool... *giggling like a little girl*

wheresmysnare

Quote from: Heisenberg on Feb 06, 2016, 04:35 PM

To me his last real scream was at 2:57 during Leathers. Not that it was on par with the older ones.
P.S. I still love the band. I'm just being a nitpicky little bitch right now  ;D

no you're right man, as we all know chino turned screaming into an artform, matching his pitch of scream to the music.... but that was a long time ago and i kinda think he just throws it in there to keep people happy. its like if abe had developed arthritis in his hands from years of drumming it would be weird to hear him try and do fills he can't do anymore and actually release it on a record. I mean even the producer seems to have chucked a shit tonne of effects over chinos screamy bit in prayers and triangles to carry it along.

having said all this im sure ill eat my words and there'll be a track on gore where chino absoutely slays the screaming....

stu_101

Quote from: wheresmysnare on Feb 06, 2016, 06:57 PM
Quote from: Heisenberg on Feb 06, 2016, 04:35 PM

no you're right man, as we all know chino turned screaming into an artform, matching his pitch of scream to the music.... but that was a long time ago and i kinda think he just throws it in there to keep people happy. its like if abe had developed arthritis in his hands from years of drumming it would be weird to hear him try and do fills he can't do anymore and actually release it on a record. I mean even the producer seems to have chucked a shit tonne of effects over chinos screamy bit in prayers and triangles to carry it along.

having said all this im sure ill eat my words and there'll be a track on gore where chino absoutely slays the screaming....
I know what you mean but I wouldn't worry. They've already said the aggressive stuff on Gore is more aggressive, the lighter stuff is more lush, etc. Chino is still one, if not, still the best screamer in the rock/metal scene. From what I saw, his screaming last year live on passenger was sic.