Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANattyRat

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Feb 07, 2016, 05:59 PM
Did anyone else notice that GreGOREio all but confirmed that the 15 second instagram clip is Hearts/Wires in the other thread?

Yep, I saw. He also said that the song lengths seem accurate, which means (L)MIRL will be the shortest Deftones song, and Rubicon will be the longest. And Hearts/Wires is just over six minutes long, so I'm guessing we'll be getting a varied song.

Of course, he could be completely screwing with us, haha. Oh well, two more months!

Inkblades

greGOREio also had a flamingo avatar before the first clip was posted, right? That definitely makes him legit, IMO.

N0S3BLEED976

He signed one of his posts on here with commondouchebag. I follow him on instagram. He's friends with the band

illthrowROCKS@U

Also, and this is of course all sourceless speculation at this point, if the track length on LMIRL is correct on the wiki page, I find it hard to believe it will end up being a "real song."  I could see it as being more of a transitional interlude similar to Pink Cellphone, Lucky You, or like Radiohead's Fitter happier.

I love Lucky You, and I actually really like Pink Cellphone (minus the last little bit about the buttsex), so I'm okay with that being an interlude.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Reichward

I would be fine with something like Pink Cellphone or Lucky you if that's what you have in mind by "interlude". I would be disappointed if it is like Fitter Happier tough.

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Feb 07, 2016, 06:57 PMI love Lucky You, and I actually really like Pink Cellphone (minus the last little bit about the buttsex)
Ah, yes, Hot Carling Academy. SNW is the only album in existence for which I am glad to own the censored version.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Reichward on Feb 07, 2016, 07:01 PM
I would be fine with something like Pink Cellphone or Lucky you if that's what you have in mind by "interlude". I would be disappointed if it is like Fitter Happier tough.

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Feb 07, 2016, 06:57 PMI love Lucky You, and I actually really like Pink Cellphone (minus the last little bit about the buttsex)
Ah, yes, Hot Carling Academy. SNW is the only album in existence for which I am glad to own the censored version.

Yeah.  Lucky You and Pink Cellphone are, to me, kind of like non-interlude interludes.  In other words, they're actual songs, with a proper song length, but to me they're more mood setters for the album than they are meant to be stand alone songs.

Fitter happier is more of a true interlude.  I would be okay with this.

Or even, since it occurs right before "Gore" it could maybe end up being something like Tool's Parabol/Porabola, where the first song is more of an intro to the main song, and they flow together as one piece.  Who knows?  It's fun to spectulate though.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

rainnyx4

I was thinking that if it were true it would be more of a fast-paced post-hardcore kind of song a la Quicksand's "Backward" or "Divorce" or even their own "Street Carp" or "CMND/CTRL".

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Feb 07, 2016, 07:25 PM
I was thinking that if it were true it would be more of a fast-paced post-hardcore kind of song a la Quicksand's "Backward" or "Divorce" or even their own "Street Carp" or "CMND/CTRL".

It very well could be.  Although, it should be noted that, if the wiki lengths are correct, Street Carp is still a full minute longer, and even CMND/CTRL would be 45 seconds longer.  It would definitely have to be a VERY short song, comparitively to the rest of their catalogue, if it does end up being a "real track," as opposed to a transitional song.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Reichward

Someone also mentioned the possibility that Rubicon includes a hidden track. Nothing too unlikely given it's (supposedly) 8 minutes long and that there was 16 songs recorded.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Feb 07, 2016, 07:49 PM
It would definitely have to be a VERY short song...

Then again, there have been much shorter songs...
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

pelican fly

paper mache dreams

NYRexall

Quote from: ToneDef on Feb 07, 2016, 12:03 PM

All due respect, man.. This is just a speculative fantasy post made from nothing. A bit TMZ. If there's any band whose song titles have zero relation to song content it's the Deftones.

And with all due respect, I clearly stated at the beginning of that post that it was a speculative fantasy based on what little info was available. It was meant to be something fun to throw out there as a sort of educated guess, to see in two months how close (or far off) I was,  as well as anyone else who decided to play along

Nowhere did I say it was legitimate

NYRexall

Quote from: MrVesanique on Feb 07, 2016, 12:09 PMGuys do you even audition

Audition is for lameoids who can't hear properly

ANattyRat

Quote from: NYRexall on Feb 08, 2016, 01:08 AM
Quote from: ToneDef on Feb 07, 2016, 12:03 PM

All due respect, man.. This is just a speculative fantasy post made from nothing. A bit TMZ. If there's any band whose song titles have zero relation to song content it's the Deftones.

And with all due respect, I clearly stated at the beginning of that post that it was a speculative fantasy based on what little info was available. It was meant to be something fun to throw out there as a sort of educated guess, to see in two months how close (or far off) I was,  as well as anyone else who decided to play along

Nowhere did I say it was legitimate

Yeah, I think it's fun. We've been speculating ever since those tiny clips appeared on their site years ago (Dwarf Dicks?). No harm in speculating now that we have more info. The forum has been very active recently, and it'll be more active the closer we get to the album, until it's released (or leaked), and then it'll go crazy. In the meantime, two months is quite a long time for excited fans, so why not pass the time? It'll be interesting to see how close any of us were, based on titles alone. Also funny how different our opinions can be based solely on our interpretations of song titles.

NYRexall

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Feb 07, 2016, 07:25 PM

I'm holding out hope it's something like this. They're all known to be fans of punk rock like SOD and Bad Brains. Maybe they decided to make their first-ever "technical" stab at a straight-up punk song. (L)MIRL would be a bad-ass name for a warp-speed Deftones rager. I can't see them writing 16 tracks during these sessions and tossing some interlude on there deep into the album like that; it'd be a complete waste and would stand out like a sore thumb in relation to all of the stuff around it

Someone ask that Gergorerio guy if there are any weird experimental soundscape interludes on the album, or any super-fast short songs towards the end. Then we'll know, lol

NYRexall

Quote from: ANattyRat on Feb 08, 2016, 01:16 AMYeah, I think it's fun. We've been speculating ever since those tiny clips appeared on their site years ago (Dwarf Dicks?). No harm in speculating now that we have more info. The forum has been very active recently, and it'll be more active the closer we get to the album, until it's released (or leaked), and then it'll go crazy. In the meantime, two months is quite a long time for excited fans, so why not pass the time? It'll be interesting to see how close any of us were, based on titles alone. Also funny how different our opinions can be based solely on our interpretations of song titles.

Exactly this

I think I originally speculated 'Hearts/Wires' would be an Entombed-type experimental ballad or something. Then that guy who was talking it up in the P/T=H/W thread said it had an uptempo beat, was super-catchy and should have been the first single.

Wow, I was WAY off then. Now my expectations have increased that much more, for that song and what the other ones might be like.

bebo

Quote from: nineteen on Feb 07, 2016, 05:44 PM
Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 06, 2016, 10:13 PM

Does anyone else feel like the song rushes to get to the chorus?

Definitely. I like the song for sure but a segment before it would have been spot on.

I like the song on the whole, but the structure of it is just garbage. Way too conservative, just a verse chorus, bridge, chorus pop structure that doesnt do anything other than make it radio friendly. I'll give them the pass on everythign else, I think it sounds sonically great but that structure is just too safe and cliche. No build and release at all

NYRexall

Quote from: bebo on Feb 08, 2016, 01:21 AMI like the song on the whole, but the structure of it is just garbage. Way too conservative, just a verse chorus, bridge, chorus pop structure that doesnt do anything other than make it radio friendly. I'll give them the pass on everythign else, I think it sounds sonically great but that structure is just too safe and cliche. No build and release at all

Granted, I'm not trying to listen to P/T until Apr. 8 when I have the whole album in my hands, but I'm actually hoping this was part of their entire plan. Start the album and the promotional campaign off with a straight-up radio-friendly Deftones track, get it out of the way, and then get fucking weird and then weirder as the album progresses.

They're clearly on some new-wave inspired shit for this record. Starting it off with a Deftones take on a radio pop song would be brilliant. Didn't that Gregorerio guy say that P/T wasn't anywhere close to being the best thing on the album? I'm sure the band knew this, and released it as a means to generating a buzz around something that sounded familiar and easy to digest. No way they're going to drop an experimental bomb as the first thing we hear off the album..

Hinojos

May not be interesting or a big deal at all, but according to iTunes "Doomed User" is the only track with an explicit symbol labeled on it.

cvthedrv