Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 29, 2016, 09:24 PM
I think I've already moved on from this album. This might be the quickest turn around of any of their albums for me. Threw on KNY and WP yesterday. Damn, those albums were pretty much perfect start to finish. Gore is such a let down, after the first three songs I pretty much lose all interest in it.

They need to reevaluate some shit for their next one.

Blech...  KNY and DE?  Worst two Deftones albums to me.

Oh, you said WP not DE.  Yeah, that's understandable.  But it's hard to compare much to WP.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

gwenudo

Quote from: stopper on Apr 29, 2016, 03:53 PM
Quote from: Cullision on Apr 29, 2016, 04:18 AM
They definitely need to get back with Terry Date. I was at the team sleep event in Woodstock and remember standing outside around a fire when Chino told us Matt Hyde was going to produce the next deftones album. I wanted to ask about Terry but it's tough when you're actually standing next to Chino to tell him what he should be doing.

What??? How did you get to go to the woodstock sessions?
He paid the $500
Was it like it seemed?...

rainnyx4

Quote from: only pieces remain on Apr 29, 2016, 10:00 PM
kny is far from perfect.

Only on the board that thinks S/T and Gore are two of their best albums.

gwenudo

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 29, 2016, 10:45 PM
kny is far from perfect.

S/T is arguably one of their if not best albums ever. Thats not an opinion either, its a fact.. Theres a reason they got #2 on billboards and havnt gotten beaten till now with Gore..
Was it like it seemed?...

pelican fly

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 29, 2016, 10:50 PM
kny is far from perfect.

S/T is arguably one of their if not best albums ever. Thats not an opinion either, its a fact.. Theres a reason they got #2 on billboards and havnt gotten beaten till now with Gore..

I think that had a lot to do with the fact that it came after WP. It is a classic though.

Still digging Gore but don't know where it ranks yet for me. I haven't worn it out yet though. I find it better to just listen to it all the way through than just randomly playing tracks.

nicklav

I'm still enjoying most of the album, with the exception of the title track. The vocals on the chorus really bug me.

pelican fly

I have a feeling that song is gonna be the new rocket skates on their set list

nicklav

God, I hope not.

HooiserBowhunter

Gore is definitely a good record. Maybe not my favorite Deftones sound, but it is still a great record. This will hold me off for maybe two more years then I will get greedy again ha. Im sure if they even make another record it will sound a lot different than even this one does. I mean we are talking these guys are in their mid forties. Shit I was surprised at the amount of screaming on Gore.

sing blue silver

The first three tracks don't really do much for me. P/T is alright but I got kinda tired of it after far too few listens. Acid Hologram is perhaps some of the most uninspiring and lazy guitar work I've ever heard from the band save for maybe one riff and Franks effects on this one are almost cringe levels of bad and cliche. Doomed User is fine but the mix is just so bad and the effects on Chino's voice are obnoxious. The intro riff to Pittura Infamante is like something a 16 year old would write for their first song but I forgive it because the rest of the song is spot on. The part I dislike most about the album is the ending of the title track. It's like the end of Return of the King. It just keeps fucking going and it overstays it's welcome by a solid fucking minute.

Those are probably my biggest critiques though. Overall I am really in love with this album. Hearts / Wires, Phantom Bride, Geometric Headdress (L)mirl and Rubicon are some of the best tracks I've heard from these guys in a long time. Not to say I disliked DE and KNY (though they're a bit lower on the totem pole of Deftones discography for me) but this is far and away the best album of the Sergio era. DE and KNY were just kind of too easily digestible and didn't really offer many challenging or interesting parts. With Gore I'm finding new parts and it just keeps growing on me all the time. I guess we'll see in a year or two but I have a feeling this one will have more staying power than the last two. I can still put on the first five albums and love them every time but with DE and KNY I don't get that same feeling every time.

Also, gotta say, Abe seems to get better and better on every album. It's like with every album I find myself thinking "oh yeah, he's seriously a really fucking good drummer." Kinda wish Steph would drop the 8 string and go back to the 7 but we know that'll never happen.

illthrowROCKS@U

kny is far from perfect.

I don't think Gore is their best, it's probably fourth for me at the moment... but Self Titled is definitely their absolute best. Not even a second thought for me.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

pinata89

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 30, 2016, 02:55 AM
kny is far from perfect.

I don't think Gore is their best, it's probably fourth for me at the moment... but Self Titled is definitely their absolute best. Not even a second thought for me.
Ditto, sir.

Cullision

Quote from: gwenudo on Apr 29, 2016, 10:26 PM
Quote from: stopper on Apr 29, 2016, 03:53 PM
Quote from: Cullision on Apr 29, 2016, 04:18 AM
They definitely need to get back with Terry Date. I was at the team sleep event in Woodstock and remember standing outside around a fire when Chino told us Matt Hyde was going to produce the next deftones album. I wanted to ask about Terry but it's tough when you're actually standing next to Chino to tell him what he should be doing.

What??? How did you get to go to the woodstock sessions?
He paid the $500

Yeah pretty much $500 and some free time are all you needed, it was pretty great.

only pieces remain

Quote from: pinata89 on Apr 30, 2016, 02:55 AM
Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Apr 30, 2016, 02:55 AM
kny is far from perfect.

Ditto, sir.

gore is not top 2. for me its 5th behind WP, ST, ATF, and SNW

NotePad

I'm new to this forum.

I'm really loving Gore. DE and KNY were both great albums but they good a little samey after awhile. They took a left turn with this one and and it worked extremely well. Nothing will ever top White Pony, but Gore comes the closest.

One thing I think is missing is the touch of trip-hop that they had on White Pony. DE kind of had that attitude but much harder also. Like I said elsewhere, if they combined what they did on DE and Gore we might have another White Pony.

B0RNtoR0CK

Quote from: sing blue silver on Apr 30, 2016, 01:49 AM
The first three tracks don't really do much for me. P/T is alright but I got kinda tired of it after far too few listens. Acid Hologram is perhaps some of the most uninspiring and lazy guitar work I've ever heard from the band save for maybe one riff and Franks effects on this one are almost cringe levels of bad and cliche. Doomed User is fine but the mix is just so bad and the effects on Chino's voice are obnoxious. The intro riff to Pittura Infamante is like something a 16 year old would write for their first song but I forgive it because the rest of the song is spot on. The part I dislike most about the album is the ending of the title track. It's like the end of Return of the King. It just keeps fucking going and it overstays it's welcome by a solid fucking minute.

Those are probably my biggest critiques though. Overall I am really in love with this album. Hearts / Wires, Phantom Bride, Geometric Headdress (L)mirl and Rubicon are some of the best tracks I've heard from these guys in a long time. Not to say I disliked DE and KNY (though they're a bit lower on the totem pole of Deftones discography for me) but this is far and away the best album of the Sergio era. DE and KNY were just kind of too easily digestible and didn't really offer many challenging or interesting parts. With Gore I'm finding new parts and it just keeps growing on me all the time. I guess we'll see in a year or two but I have a feeling this one will have more staying power than the last two. I can still put on the first five albums and love them every time but with DE and KNY I don't get that same feeling every time.
My thoughts exactly.

Freedomsoldier17

pittura kinda stinks  except for the bridge. thats one of the highlights of the album. i don't like xenon either...it feels so dry and neutral, the chorus just sounds bland and unoriginal.

(all in my humble opinion, not stating any of this as fact)

B0RNtoR0CK

Quote from: Freedomsoldier17 on Apr 30, 2016, 07:49 PM
pittura kinda stinks  except for the bridge. thats one of the highlights of the album. i don't like xenon either...it feels so dry and neutral, the chorus just sounds bland and unoriginal.

(all in my humble opinion, not stating any of this as fact)
I agree about xenon. The drums and vocals are poorly mixed in that song too.

SomeOf

1/ WP, ATF, ST, DE
2/ Adrenaline
3/ KNY
4/ SNW
5/ Gore

IMO : After 3 intensive weeks of listening, Gore is very boring, flat and poorly mixed.
It still a "cool" album because it's my favorite band but let's face it, it's very very very different and not in a good way.

I'm really happy that they're still evolving and challenging themselves but it's their weakest album... IMO.

rainnyx4

Quote from: SomeOf on Apr 30, 2016, 09:52 PM
1/ WP, ATF, ST, DE
2/ Adrenaline
3/ KNY
4/ SNW
5/ Gore

IMO : After 3 intensive weeks of listening, Gore is very boring, flat and poorly mixed.
It still a "cool" album because it's my favorite band but let's face it, it's very very very different and not in a good way.

I'm really happy that they're still evolving and challenging themselves but it's their weakest album... IMO.

Feel pretty much the same way. I really don't understand the love that Gore is getting on this board. Pretty much everyone I've talked to outside of here has been disappointed with this.

It's not bad but it's certainly an artistic misstep and severely disappointing considering how amazing this band can be.