Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Apr 30, 2016, 09:59 PM
Pretty much everyone I've talked to outside of here has been disappointed with this.

Thats funny, because most of my circles seem to like it more than the people here do :P
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

SomeOf

Feel pretty much the same way. I really don't understand the love that Gore is getting on this board. Pretty much everyone I've talked to outside of here has been disappointed with this.

Same around here, my friends are very disappointed.
Good point is Deftz never do the same album twice.

B0RNtoR0CK

Quote from: SomeOf on Apr 30, 2016, 10:16 PM
Feel pretty much the same way. I really don't understand the love that Gore is getting on this board. Pretty much everyone I've talked to outside of here has been disappointed with this.

Same around here, my friends are very disappointed.
same

illthrowROCKS@U

Every time Chino sings about his "secret praxis" in Acid Hologram, it makes me really hungry for some secret pretzels
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

krook

At first Gore tasted foreign, I was like "is this even Deftones? What happened to them?" but after a few listens I was like "it's the same, same sound. The same old taste."
However they've lost THAT old vibe they had on the Chi era albums and DE. It feels like Chi's accident somehow didn't affect their sound on DE but then something went wrong.
I hate White Pony.

E-Money

Gore is definitely my favorite album of the Sergio era. The last four songs really do it for me. Probably my favorite close to any one of their records. Lmirl is just so damn good. Absolutely love it. First half is just ok.. And I agree, could be mixed much better. Abe really shines on this record just like he always does but he's too low in the mix. Very unfortunate. Still hoping they will do one more record with Terry. If he would have produced this record I feel it really could have been special.

SomeOf

Quote from: krook on May 01, 2016, 12:33 AM
At first Gore tasted foreign, I was like "is this even Deftones? What happened to them?" but after a few listens I was like "it's the same, same sound. The same old taste."
However they've lost THAT old vibe they had on the Chi era albums and DE. It feels like Chi's accident somehow didn't affect their sound on DE but then something went wrong.

Yes ! Finally someone who thinks like me.

DE is still very "Deftones". It's like a perfect fusion between WP & ATF.
After that, even if KNY is still a beautiful record, things went wrong and became different.

sing blue silver

How I'm feeling now.

1. ST
2. Saturday Night Wrist
3. Around the Fur
4. White Pony
5. Gore
6. Koi No Yokan
7. Diamond Eyes
8. Adrenaline

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: sing blue silver on May 02, 2016, 12:23 AM
How I'm feeling now.

1. ST
2. Saturday Night Wrist
3. Around the Fur
4. White Pony
5. Gore
6. Koi No Yokan
7. Diamond Eyes
8. Adrenaline

Wow! You and I are nearly identical!
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

laurapalmer

1. White Pony
2. Saturday Night Wrist
3. Gore
4. Diamond Eyes
5. Deftones
6. Around The Fur
7. Koi No Yokan
8. Adrenaline

pinata89

Quote from: laurapalmer on May 02, 2016, 04:38 AM
1. White Pony
2. Saturday Night Wrist
3. Gore
4. Diamond Eyes
5. Deftones
6. Around The Fur
7. Koi No Yoked
8. Adrenaline
Lmao at your user name!!! I've been binge watching Twin Peaks this weekend!

Entombed

It's been nearly a month since the album has come out and I'm still not crazy about it. Here are my issues.

The tempo is slower on quite a few tracks than I'm used to. I like some of their slower stuff a LOT, but even the more aggressive songs are a bit slow for my taste.
The guitar is very 80's sounding. I don't necessarily dislike 80's music, but I prefer the more 90's sounding guitar & dynamics.
The song structures are too repetitive for my taste. I've had problems with the Deftones' structures in the past, but not to the extent that I've heard it on Gore. I miss hearing interludes from the Deftones, which were prevalent on White Pony.
The production quality is poor. The production is easily in the worst 3 (along with Adrenaline, which is over 20 years old and SNW, which had its own share of complications). There is little to no room for instruments to breathe and/or shine.
I still miss Chi's bass, but I enjoy Sergio's work on Diamond Eyes and KNY more than the most recent album.

That said, I've listened to their live performances and compared how the songs sound live to the studio versions. Obviously we don't expect for Chino to replicate his studio vocals in a live setting, but I prefer the sound of the new songs live. I have a hard time really connecting to the studio versions of the songs, but I listened to Rubicon, P/T, and Hearts/Wires live on Kimmel. They were SO much better than the studio versions.

If the band somehow manages to play the entirety of the album live during a set (including Phantom Bride with Cantrell as a guest guitarist), I would love to compare the set to the album. I think the Deftones were victimized by poor production and I've had a hard time getting past that. With how different sounding the album is, it makes it harder for me to accept how drastically different the sound is (which is really sad).

I was jamming out to Rubicon earlier (a live version) and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, listening to the studio version didn't give me the same feeling (less dynamic and impactful). I plan to revisit the songs that are played live (once they are played live).
Tell the one about the man who dug holes so deep, he lost sight of his word.

jaypayton

seems like the general consensus outside of the diehards is the album is shit...basically its a Chino solo album....you knew this would happen eventually that Chino would just take over the band and steer them into his melodic balladeering ways.....80% of these songs sound like Palms songs....maybe next time around (if there is one) steph can show some balls and put his foot down and steer the band back into more edgier waters because at this rate they will turn into duran duran if chino keeps leading the charge

gwenudo

Quote from: jaypayton on May 02, 2016, 10:55 PM
seems like the general consensus outside of the diehards is the album is shit...basically its a Chino solo album....you knew this would happen eventually that Chino would just take over the band and steer them into his melodic balladeering ways.....80% of these songs sound like Palms songs....maybe next time around (if there is one) steph can show some balls and put his foot down and steer the band back into more edgier waters because at this rate they will turn into duran duran if chino keeps leading the charge
Why would steph "show some balls and put his foot down" when he was late into the album? The whole band besides steph were already making the music and enjoyed it all and finally steph had time and came in late in the process.. How was he just going to say hell no and trash the whole album just cause he didnt like it at first? He did end up enjoying the album too, i dont think any of them regret anything. Agreed this is a chino album, but its not cause steph didnt have the balls to say no. He knew he was late and accepted it.
Was it like it seemed?...

rainnyx4

Quote from: jaypayton on May 02, 2016, 10:55 PM

Don't understand the whole "this is a Chino album" sentiment.

The only songs that really sound like they could have been spearheaded by Chino are P/T, H/W, Pittura, (L)MIRL, and PB. And with Steph's past of writing all kinds of diverse stuff, it's not even that certain.

Nor do I get the Palms reference. Other than the spotty production, these two albums don't sound anything alike. In fact, I'd say they could've used some of the headier sounds and structures of Palms to their benefit.

The problem was that Steph didn't seem very inspired this time out. Outside of a few moments, the riffage sounds really boring and juvenile.

The album was just an artistic misstep. I love both Chino and Steph as songwriters but they just both dropped the ball here.

jaypayton

its very postrock-ish...the long drawn out guitar intros building up to the heavy chrous etc....very similar to what palms/ISIS do and a million other postrock/postmetal bands do and have been doing since 2005

the people who claim its a Chino album...its easy to tell when its a Chino album. anything melodic, clean, poppy, is 100% all Chino all the time....

lastly as far as saying Steph should put his foot down..instead of being passive and going along with it then doing interviews trashing the album, next time he should open his mouth during the process...even Chino said as much....and dont believe for a minute steph "learned to love" the songs. thats damage control 100% bullshit after that interview he did when he trashed the album  went viral

kurtone

Went viral? It was a published interview.

rainnyx4

Quote from: jaypayton on May 03, 2016, 12:52 AM
its very postrock-ish...the long drawn out guitar intros building up to the heavy chrous etc....very similar to what palms/ISIS do and a million other postrock/postmetal bands do and have been doing since 2005

the people who claim its a Chino album...its easy to tell when its a Chino album. anything melodic, clean, poppy, is 100% all Chino all the time....

lastly as far as saying Steph should put his foot down..instead of being passive and going along with it then doing interviews trashing the album, next time he should open his mouth during the process...even Chino said as much....and dont believe for a minute steph "learned to love" the songs. thats damage control 100% bullshit after that interview he did when he trashed the album  went viral

Really hope this is sarcasm.

Steph has been writing "clean, poppy, and melodic" stuff since day 1.

And there were very few long drawn out guitar intros on Gore. That was one of my problems with it. They really started doing that on KNY and wish they had kept that up.

elite54

He has regurgitated the same drivel in every post he has made. No reason to respond. If you haven't liked an album for 10 years, you'd think you wouldn't continue to frequent the board of that band.

underneaththecar

The people who think this is a Chino record...Koi seemed much more in that wheelhouse if you ask me. This album seems much more of a team effort. I can't help but feel like if Steph didn't make the comments that he did barely anyone would have this opinion.