Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

E-Money

The production just sucks on gore. These songs would have been so much better with Terry producing and Someone else mixing. Especially on GH. The mixing is so poor on that song which is a shame. Still love a lot of the music on this record. Lmirl and Rubicon are 2 of my favorite songs they have ever made. Hope they do one more record with Terry one day.

Gore

Couldn't agree with you more about Terry.
I can't understand how Abe could be happy with the way Gore turned out. His drumming is brilliant as usual but you can hardly hear him in the mix.
It wasn't great on Nick's two albums either but compared to Gore it's fantastic.
I obviously prefer Terry to Nick but Nick wasn't too bad either.
I quite like the production on Diamond Eyes, even though a lot of people say it sounds over-produced and poppy I find it quite a dark sounding record. I think Frank brings a lot to that record.
I don't know why they don't use Chris Lord-Alge to do the mixing again.
Does anyone else notice quite a big difference in the mix going from Diamond Eyes (the song) to Royal?
Diamond Eyes was mixed by Chris and Royal and the rest of the tracks by Nick.
Maybe Chris just charges too much which is why they only used him for the first single off the record.
He's definitely worth it though.

ZapZaqZap

Quote from: Gore on May 22, 2016, 06:19 AM
I don't get why some of you are hating on Gore and Xenon, to me they're too of the better tracks on the album. GH could have been a great track but I agree with Rainnyx4 in that the production makes it very difficult to listen to, especially the screaming bits.
Then the same people who are calling these songs lazy go on to praise songs like (L)mirl, the fucking laziest song I've heard in a long time, not just by my favourite band but by any band.
I don't get how some of you can't see how crap this song is. I know Mein gets a lot of flack on this board but just listen to (L)mirl and then Mein back to back and tell me that (L)mirl isn't an infinitely worse song.
I mean just listen to the verses, even the lyrics are lazy and crap.
I don't miss you (sung exactly over the guitar chords, no effort by Chino to create an interesting melody weaving through the guitar melody)
I don't care where you are now (sung exactly the same as the line before)
You're a ghost to me (sung exactly the same as the line before)
Left with my taste in your mouth (sung exactly the same as the line before)
Literally the whole verse is the same fucking line sung over and over, just insert different lyrics.
Then the chorus:
I sail on these waves, hey(same deal as the verse just a country twanged "hey" thrown in for good measure cos we all love some country in our Deftones)
Slip into the coming waves, hey (sung exactly the same as the line before complete with "hey", just in case you haven't had enough of Chino singing about waves)

Don't even get me started on Hearts/Wires and Phantom Bride.
Even P/T uses the same formula as the above songs to a certain extent. I don't actually know anyone apart from maybe some on this board that thinks this is a great song or even a good song.
Definitely not single material. The first time I heard it the first thought that went through my head was "oh no Deftones have let their usually high, unfaltering quality control slip.
The chorus is the worst part, it uses the same trick as the other 3 in repeating the melody from the line before:
"Prayers (Prayers sung again, this time in Sergio's fucking awful voice)"
"Triangles (Triangles)"
"You'll never be saved (You'll never be saved, you'll never be saved etc.)
Wow that's good song writing?
I really wish Sergio would never sing again by the way, not in the studio or live.

Sorry Rainnyx4 I just can't agree with you on S/T, that album is just fucking genius.
So many great tracks on S/T: Hexagram, Needles and Pins, Minerva, Bloody Cape etc. and you choose Anniversary! What!!!
How are those songs lazy?
Hexagram and Bloody Cape for eg. just have such weird melodies and song structures.
Oh well everyone has their own tastes I suppose but Gore is the album that should be described as lazy. I agree with you that it's their worst and by a huge margin too.
The big disappointment is that it could have been so much better.
What does it say about the effort the band put into this album when it's released with such a shitty mix?
What does it say about the songs when your own guitarist doesn't want to play on them?
Friends I've managed to turn on to Deftones through their previous albums have told me how shit this album is.
I think that's a bit harsh, it's still a decent album but I have to say that's something I've never said about a Deftones album before - "it's a decent album"
Usually it's a great album! Usually the new album will play for months on end until I'll even put anything else on, this time I was bored of it after a few listens.

Please Deftones do not ever make use of Matt Hyde again, in any capacity and please let those lazy songs like (L)mirl, Hearts/Wires and PB serve their purpose as b-sides.
I really wish Chino would take a little break from live shows before recording the next album, just to get his voice in shape and to collect some ideas again.
As it is it sounds like he's burned out on shows and side projects and the lyrics to Hearts/wires seem to confirm this -
"Nothing to sing about
I've bared all my leaves"
Maybe Chino could sing about waves.

Go vegan about it.

nineteen

Quote from: Gore on May 22, 2016, 09:10 AM

Does anyone else notice quite a big difference in the mix going from Diamond Eyes (the song) to Royal?

Kinda. Royal's volume suddenly gets evidently louder around 2:13/14.

vadimo

i am a little disappointed with the new album, it felt like Team Sleep second album, like an experiment album and i don't think it is shit but just doesn't measure up to the last two albums at all.

thats my very brief view on the new album.

Penicks

"sounds like team sleep"

lol wut

sooniletugo

Sergio doesn't do any vocals on the album, I'm pretty sure.

Gore

It sounded a bit like Sergio was singing with Chino on a part of the chorus but listening again I think you're right.
He does sing live though and it sounds terrible.

LG95

I've started to realise how much I'm falling in love with this album. I really liked it from the first moment I listened to it but it's sinking further and further under my skin every time I hear it now. There's something about it that lulls you in over time and it's got me hooked. What an album. So pleased with it.

I think some people are going to be surprised by how much it grows on them in the next few months.
I could float here forever

wheresmysnare

Quote from: LG95 on May 26, 2016, 02:04 PM
I've started to realise how much I'm falling in love with this album. I really liked it from the first moment I listened to it but it's sinking further and further under my skin every time I hear it now. There's something about it that lulls you in over time and it's got me hooked. What an album. So pleased with it.

I think some people are going to be surprised by how much it grows on them in the next few months.

Hmmm, a case of the emperors new clothes, this album just doesn't have much depth - same deal with KNY. Half ideas, copy and pasted together, generic pop-leaning vocal melodies with chino going over old ground lyrically.

Although, Rubicon comes to life in a live setting.

LG95

I could float here forever

jaypayton

"I didn't enjoy working on the album very much, it took me a long time to get used to the songs. When I first heard them I thought that the band was trying too hard. It took me a while to figure out where I was going to fit in"

Jim Martin quote in 1992 talking about Faith No More. He was gone within a year....those quotes sound familiar?

pinata89

Steph ain't going nowhere. He is just as much Deftones as Chino is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elite54

Quote from: jaypayton on May 27, 2016, 06:55 AM
"I didn't enjoy working on the album very much, it took me a long time to get used to the songs. When I first heard them I thought that the band was trying too hard. It took me a while to figure out where I was going to fit in"

Jim Martin quote in 1992 talking about Faith No More. He was gone within a year....those quotes sound familiar?

Holy shit. You're right, Steph is as good as gone. You should probably just leave the board for good. The band is now over. No reason to be here.

The Cyndicate

If anything, Gore shows you just how important Steph is to this band. He came in after the fact to do his parts and this album mostly sucks.

They need him to be a major part of the writing, or they will fail again.

nineteen

Quote from: The Cyndicate on May 27, 2016, 10:56 AM
If anything, Gore shows you just how important Steph is to this band. He came in after the fact to do his parts and this album mostly sucks.

They need him to be a major part of the writing, or they will fail again.

They'll fail against your expectations, you mean?

kurtone

Quote from: elite54 on May 27, 2016, 09:14 AM
Quote from: jaypayton on May 27, 2016, 06:55 AM

Holy shit. You're right, Steph is as good as gone. You should probably just leave the board for good. The band is now over. No reason to be here.

He was saying they were going to be done within a year of KNY releasing too. His crystal ball ain't so crystal clear.

krook

Geometric Headdress is the Pink Cellphone of Gore. Just one weird ass song that takes really long to get into. I haven't yet.
I hate White Pony.

Dryalex12

so for no real apprent reason. I thought what would Xenon would sound like if its chorus was swapped with Rubicon. Anyone else think it would song good?

only pieces remain

the above two posts make my head fucking hurt.