Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinata89

There is no Pink Cellphone on this album. If there were, it would be Phantom Bride (and that's reaching at straws). This album has no outlandish tracks, in my opinion. The flow is pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaypayton

Quote from: kurtone on May 27, 2016, 04:46 PM
Quote from: elite54 on May 27, 2016, 06:14 AM
Quote from: jaypayton on May 27, 2016, 03:55 AM
"I didn't enjoy working on the album very much, it took me a long time to get used to the songs. When I first heard them I thought that the band was trying too hard. It took me a while to figure out where I was going to fit in"

Jim Martin quote in 1992 talking about Faith No More. He was gone within a year....those quotes sound familiar?

Holy shit. You're right, Steph is as good as gone. You should probably just leave the board for good. The band is now over. No reason to be here.

He was saying they were going to be done within a year of KNY releasing too. His crystal ball ain't so crystal clear.

actually it was pretty crystal clear because steph is as good as done after KNY...hes still there to collect his $$$$ but hes gone in all other aspects of the band. doesnt write, rehearse or contribute

LG95

Quote from: jaypayton on May 28, 2016, 04:54 PM
Quote from: kurtone on May 27, 2016, 04:46 PM
Quote from: elite54 on May 27, 2016, 06:14 AM
Quote from: jaypayton on May 27, 2016, 03:55 AM
"I didn't enjoy working on the album very much, it took me a long time to get used to the songs. When I first heard them I thought that the band was trying too hard. It took me a while to figure out where I was going to fit in"

Jim Martin quote in 1992 talking about Faith No More. He was gone within a year....those quotes sound familiar?

Holy shit. You're right, Steph is as good as gone. You should probably just leave the board for good. The band is now over. No reason to be here.

He was saying they were going to be done within a year of KNY releasing too. His crystal ball ain't so crystal clear.

actually it was pretty crystal clear because steph is as good as done after KNY...hes still there to collect his $$$$ but hes gone in all other aspects of the band. doesnt write, rehearse or contribute
http://web.musicaficionado.com/main.html#!/article/deftones_get_inside_your_bass?invitedBy=sergiovega

QuoteStephen's real grievance was more due to the fact that we'd have these two-week writing sessions, and then we'd go away. We weren't hanging out, and that's what he was missing. He formed the band to hang out with his friends. So he was like, "We do this music and go home. Where's our friendship?" We got to talk about that later. It's all cool.

Yep sounds like he's all about the money to me ::)
I could float here forever

punkflop01

I think this was a safe choice for the 2nd single - smart move on their part : http://www.theprp.com/2016/05/27/news/deftones-choose-second-single-gore/

B0RNtoR0CK

I feel like I can relate with Stephen on this album. There is absolutely no need for an 8 string guitar on this album. In fact, using an 8 string on this album makes it muddy and just...ugly sounding imo. G# or F just doesn't mix with the style of music on GORE imo. The production is disastrous... there are times when I feel like this is a band's first work and are having a friend record them in the garage. It doesn't even sound like a Deftones' album, lets be honest. Abe's drumming is awesome but its so poorly mixed (there are times when I can't even hear the kick drum and the overheads cymbals are so damn loud) not to mention chino's awkward use of reverb/delay on a few tracks. With that being said, there a few tracks on Gore I really like....but only a few.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: B0RNtoR0CK on May 30, 2016, 04:52 PM
I feel like I can relate with Stephen on this album. There is absolutely no need for an 8 string guitar on this album. In fact, using an 8 string on this album makes it muddy and just...ugly sounding imo. G# or F just doesn't mix with the style of music on GORE imo. The production is disastrous... there are times when I feel like this is a band's first work and are having a friend record them in the garage. It doesn't even sound like a Deftones' album, lets be honest. Abe's drumming is awesome but its so poorly mixed (there are times when I can't even hear the kick drum and the overheads cymbals are so damn loud) not to mention chino's awkward use of reverb/delay on a few tracks. With that being said, there a few tracks on Gore I really like....but only a few.

Dead on.

The overheads are almost painful.

krook

Will they release the instrumentals?
I hate White Pony.

pinata89

I would like that

pelican fly

still dig this record

hope we get "Crest" on a upcoming single or something

pinata89

Quote from: pelican fly on Jun 05, 2016, 11:34 PM
still dig this record

hope we get "Crest" on a upcoming single or something
I would welcome "Crest" and outtakes from any of the post-Chi albums.

pelican fly

I remember reading DE had one also
don't know about Koi but yea would love to hear them also
especially if they are finished tracks like Crest is

HooiserBowhunter

Quote from: pelican fly on Jun 05, 2016, 11:45 PM
I remember reading DE had one also
don't know about Koi but yea would love to hear them also
especially if they are finished tracks like Crest is

I would love to hear those tracks as well. Sometimes songs that band toss to the side are some of my favorite ones.

guarnoplo

or maybe they suck worse  :-X
Quote from: HooiserBowhunter on Jun 06, 2016, 03:00 AM

I would love to hear those tracks as well. Sometimes songs that band toss to the side are some of my favorite ones.

TheyCallMeP

The more I listen to Gore, the more the following are becoming clear to me:

1. There are only really two songs I don't care for, PI and Phantom Bride. I love the first five songs, really everything about them, and then feel like the album hits a small speed bump. I would probably roll the dice and swap Crest (never hearing a second of it) with PI.

2. Xenon has grown on me like crazy. It's so catchy and the chorus reminds me of something, but can't place my finger on it. It's a far departure from what Deftones do in terms of atmosphere, but it's refreshing when it hits. I don't want an album styled this way, but as a one off it works for me. The drums and lyrics are tight and I hum the chorus more than I'd like to admit.

3. I think Deftones should go for vibes they have in (L)MIRL over the course of an entire album. I get that they're older and Chino won't yell/can't yell as much as he use to, but (L)MIRL gives me chills. The guitar in the beginning is one of, if not my favorite, moments on the record. Chino doesn't need to yell to be effective here.

4. Prayers/Triangles doesn't get enough credit. Oh my God, that track is a monster!

ANattyRat

Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Jun 06, 2016, 04:09 AM
3. I think Deftones should go for vibes they have in (L)MIRL over the course of an entire album. I get that they're older and Chino won't yell/can't yell as much as he use to, but (L)MIRL gives me chills. The guitar in the beginning is one of, if not my favorite, moments on the record. Chino doesn't need to yell to be effective here.

This x1000. Love that song so much, especially the first couple of minutes. Wish they'd play it live.

B0RNtoR0CK

Quote from: ANattyRat on Jun 06, 2016, 12:39 PM
Quote from: TheyCallMeP on Jun 06, 2016, 04:09 AM

This x1000. Love that song so much, especially the first couple of minutes. Wish they'd play it live.
LMIRL had so much potential but it collapses after they change key signature from minor to major. Disappointing song imo

Gaz

Rubicon, Hearts Wires and Acid Hologram are still standouts for me

LG95

Three of my favourites as well.

And I fucking love Pittura Infamante.
I could float here forever

White Wrist

Geometric, Gore and Acid H.

Martin

Great record, it really keeps growing on me. Really tripping on 'Rubicon'.