Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Gore

Started by therealdaebat, Jan 27, 2016, 06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sooniletugo

Chino sheds light on LMIRL:

"LMIRL – it's an acronym, 'Let's Meet In Real Life.' I'm doing research online and seeing people go on dating sites – they'll say something like, 'Hey, let's meet in real life now.'

"The song itself – the underlying theme of that song is really dark. It's lightly based around suicide. That theme was very heavy in my mind when I wrote the song.

"I correlated that term LMIRL with this existence that we have now – it's not real. So if we take ourselves out of this, that is real life. It won't always make sense to other people – enough for them to put that together."

snw9

Quote from: sooniletugo on Jun 22, 2016, 10:35 PM

"LMIRL – it's an acronym, 'Let's Meet In Real Life.' I'm doing research online and seeing people go on dating sites – they'll say something like, 'Hey, let's meet in real life now.'

"The song itself – the underlying theme of that song is really dark. It's lightly based around suicide. That theme was very heavy in my mind when I wrote the song.

"I correlated that term LMIRL with this existence that we have now – it's not real. So if we take ourselves out of this, that is real life. It won't always make sense to other people – enough for them to put that together."

I figured it has a suicide feel to it like the lyrics "put a gun to my head.."
Code: [Select]

ANattyRat

Quote from: sooniletugo on Jun 22, 2016, 10:35 PM

So it actually was intended as a dark song. Nice, I like that. It'll always be a serial killer song to me though.

Where did he say that?

illthrowROCKS@U

I'm not listening to this album on repeat like I did at first. In fact, other than today, I haven't listened to it in a long time. And after listening to it today I've come to the conclusion that I'm very happy about this album.

It's still not better than my top 3 (ST, SNW, WP, in that order), but I believe I would put it just below them. It ranks 4th overall for me, which is a pretty amazing feat considering how late in their career this is (and the competition, I mean come on... those albums are just fantastic). It's easily, and by FAR, better than KNY and DE.

Good job again, Deftones. You'll never be what you once were, but I'm still pretty happy with what you are now. Keep it up.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

LG95

I love Hearts/Wires an insane amount.
I could float here forever

HooiserBowhunter

Is it just wishful thinking or do you guys think we will ever hear Crest? The mystery behind it being the initial first track to completely dropped from the album just makes me want to hear it more.

pinata89

^same^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ANattyRat

I want to hear all the unreleased songs, but I'm 95% sure we'll never hear Crest. They just don't do that anymore.

rainnyx4

If the song was actually studio completed with the vocals, we'll hear it someday. If not, then probably not.

cvthedrv

it's incredible how the promotion of every album gets worse by the passing of time, this is by far worse than kny.

LG95

Quote from: cvthedrv on Jun 28, 2016, 02:30 PM
it's incredible how the promotion of every album gets worse by the passing of time, this is by far worse than kny.
What's been wrong with the promotion? It's sold really well, it's got good reviews, it's one of the only rock/metal albums to have been acknowledged by the more mainstream press.

rainnyx4

I realized today that by taking PI and Gore off of the album and treating PB as a kind of b-side, this album almost becomes a passable listen.

Bifrost

Quote from: rainnyx4 on Jun 29, 2016, 07:58 AM
I realized today that by taking PI and Gore off of the album and treating PB as a kind of b-side, this album almost becomes a passable listen.

I have been pretty disappointed in this album since the outset ( espeically when P/T was released) and it seems like I am not alone.

I would guess it is at least 60/40 in terms of deftones fans liking the album, probably the most divided album so far from what I can tell.

I wonder how much the members of the band are feeling this disappointment from the fan base? Or if they are insulated from it since most radio personalities that interview them pretty much gush over them the whole time.

What do you guys think?

rainnyx4

I remember being pretty worried when the first reviews started coming out and they basically amounted to: "This band rules, but this album isn't so great, but because this band rules so much, this album should be good, so we're still going to rate it fairly highly and recommend it." It was pretty clear that the reviewers wanted to say some negative things about it, but couldn't, given how great this band has been in the past and how much favor they've gained with the critics.

LG95

It's way more than 60/40 in favour. I think quite a few of you are missing just how well received Gore has been by and large - press (even mainstream), hardcore fans, casual fans, even people who have only recently discovered Deftones (of which I'm aware of a few). There are a few more dissenters this time, and probably stronger dissenters because Gore is a hard album to get into in some ways; the individual songs are less explosive, it's an album that unravels gradually and it's also a comparatively soft Deftones record. It's only natural that there are stronger voices against it than there were for the albums before it.

However, to say it's 60/40... I mean that's a massive misunderstanding of how large fan bases tend to react to a band's music. You'll generally find when a band releases a new album, a substantial proportion of fans will like it regardless. I mean look at the likes/dislikes on Youtube for Prayers/Triangles - there were people saying when the song came out that it had quite a few more dislikes than would be usual for a new Deftones track and indeed I think there were a few more voices expressing their dislike or indifference to P/T. Yet despite that, there's still 30 times more likes than dislikes on that video.

Of course I'm not drawing my entire conclusion from the likes on a Youtube video but if you think it's 60/40 then you're not understanding how these things work. Unfortunately, the internet does that thing where it makes a whisper sound like a roar and so if you see four people on a reddit thread saying they dislike Gore then it can seem like the opinion is massively split when in reality it isn't.

Shadow46/2

Yeah look anywhere other than this board or reddit and you've pretty much got universal acclaim. I've read maybe one single negative review among dozens of positive.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

Freedomsoldier17

I still listen to the original Gore teaser every now and then. Even today it still gives me chills

https://vid.me/Q9g0

Inkblades

A few months since Gore's release and I still dig the hell out of this album. I love Prayers/Triangles, Acid Hologram, Geometric Headdress, Hearts/Wires, Pittura (a grower, not a shower), Xenon, (L)MIRL and Rubicon. Play them all the time. I still have some qualms with Doomed User, Gore and PB, but I can look past their issues and enjoy those too.

LG95

Yeah I still love it too. I think they really got a lot out of it by recording everything in order - you can tell by the way it flows that they thought through the track order early on and some of the transitions going from one song to another are mightily good. It all just works so well as one listen.