Started by Penicks, May 06, 2016, 06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deftoner664

Sharing Lungs member since Oct 07, 2005 to Present

rainnyx4

nicklav

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 07, 2016, 12:36 AM
Sorry to say it but Sergio > Chi

You have got to be kidding. In no way is this true.

The Cyndicate

Dude, Sergio can't sing and has God awful 6 string bass is killing the signature sound of the band.

I know Chi picked him, but he WAY oversteps his bounds.

snw9

Quote from: The Cyndicate on May 07, 2016, 01:00 AM

Dude, Sergio can't sing and has God awful 6 string bass is killing the signature sound of the band.

When did CHI pick him?
Code: [Select]

Cullision

The clear answer here is Sergio, which is why I voted Chino for the comedy of it.

rainnyx4

This board mythologizes Chi. I never met him and I'm sure he was the greatest dude, but Sergio is technically a much better bass player.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: snw9 on May 07, 2016, 01:34 AM
Quote from: The Cyndicate on May 07, 2016, 01:00 AM

When did CHI pick him?

I don't know when, and I could be mistaken, but I remember him saying something about if he ever died he wanted him to replace him. It could have been another bassist though, but for some reason my head is telling me that he picked him.

Cullision

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 07, 2016, 01:53 AM
This board mythologizes Chi. I never met him and I'm sure he was the greatest dude, but Sergio is technically a much better bass player.

I feel like I've never even heard Sergio play bass, I don't know if it's his fault or the producers but Chi's bass actually mattered and was a huge component to the sound of all the BEST Deftones albums.

Freedomsoldier17

all these guys play their parts great, i don't feel i should favorite one over another

rainnyx4

Quote from: Cullision on May 07, 2016, 02:06 AM

I feel like I've never even heard Sergio play bass, I don't know if it's his fault or the producers but Chi's bass actually mattered and was a huge component to the sound of all the BEST Deftones albums.

Chi played on 4 albums, Sergio 3. They've both been on one disappointing album each.

And I feel like I've noticed Sergio's lines much more than I ever have Chi's. Not that Chi didn't do some great stuff, he did, but most of his stuff was very basic and just followed what Steph did. Sergio is a much more technical player who seems to write more stuff that actually sounds like it's own individual line in the song.

nicklav

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 07, 2016, 03:17 AM

Chi played on 4 albums, Sergio 3. They've both been on one disappointing album each.

And I feel like I've noticed Sergio's lines much more than I ever have Chi's. Not that Chi didn't do some great stuff, he did, but most of his stuff was very basic and just followed what Steph did. Sergio is a much more technical player who seems to write more stuff that actually sounds like it's own individual line in the song.

Chi did that on nearly every song. Notable tracks are knife party, change, my own summer, cherry waves, rivière, etc etc etc

SMLiberator

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 07, 2016, 03:17 AMNot that Chi didn't do some great stuff, he did, but most of his stuff was very basic and just followed what Steph did. Sergio is a much more technical player who seems to write more stuff that actually sounds like it's own individual line in the song.

I agree Sergio might be the better bassist, but that is just plain wrong. I mean, 7 Words comes to mind? But Chi not only also had some badass basslines, he also had better backing vocals and stage presence than Sergio IMO. I can't tell how they'd compare as songwriters, however.

Quote from: The Cyndicate on May 07, 2016, 01:58 AM
I don't know when, and I could be mistaken, but I remember him saying something about if he ever died he wanted him to replace him. It could have been another bassist though, but for some reason my head is telling me that he picked him.

I believe you are thinking about the time Sergio filled for Chi in 99 (IIRC) when he couldn't perform?
i'm confused??

Inkblades

I give props to Sergio for saving Deftones. If it wasn't for him, they might not have continued on. He's also written a lot of good songs with them, but the classic Deftones era IS the Chi era. Sorry, but the music speaks for itself.

The Cyndicate

Chi is all over the first album. Listen to lifter and root. He defined the sound on all of his albums.

Cullision

Quote from: rainnyx4 on May 07, 2016, 03:17 AM

Is it Opposite Day? I've literally heard people on this board say those exact lines about Sergio following Steph.

LG95

Quote from: Inkblades on May 07, 2016, 05:56 AM
I give props to Sergio for saving Deftones. If it wasn't for him, they might not have continued on. He's also written a lot of good songs with them, but the classic Deftones era IS the Chi era. Sorry, but the music speaks for itself.
Yup
I could float here forever

sooniletugo

Sergio rocks. I love the dude and his manner on stage. No point dissing him, Chi had the accident and Sergio saved the band, helped Deftones continue on. Seems like a really positive creative force, makes them get shit done. I love how visibly psyched and happy he is playing on every show. It's tragic what happened with Chi, but I feel there should be more appreciation for SERGIO. I love chi but always feel grateful to Serge. He's 'one of the gang' now.

LG95

Quote from: sooniletugo on May 07, 2016, 09:20 AM
Sergio rocks. I love the dude and his manner on stage. No point dissing him, Chi had the accident and Sergio saved the band, helped Deftones continue on. Seems like a really positive creative force, makes them get shit done. I love how visibly psyched and happy he is playing on every show. It's tragic what happened with Chi, but I feel there should be more appreciation for SERGIO. I love chi but always feel grateful to Serge. He's 'one of the gang' now.
Also true
I could float here forever