Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Can you scream/screech like Chino?

Started by Dryalex12, Jun 29, 2016, 07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dryalex12

I'm actually trying to work on that. Surprisingly, my voice can go really high, the highest ive gotten was an accidental C#6. For comparison, the scream in Root is a B5. Now i can hit a B5-C6 pertty good, but doing that weird screech thing he does is something i havnt gotten down yet. Can any of you do it?

Freedomsoldier17

I doubt I can scream like Chino but I've been thinking about just trying it in general. Problem is I have a p loud voice and upon hearing it people houses away may think someone's getting murdered or some shit. Should probably get hooked up in my local mosh scene sooner or later :P

krook

Vocal challenges for all of you to take:

1. the waves SUUUUUUUUCK you in
2. those cat screams from Fireal (before the chorus y'know)
3. I get bored
4. Soooooo pooooor
5. Woo!
I hate White Pony.

LG95

Funny you mention this, I've been working on the Chino inhale screams recently and I can do them fairly well. I've got down the great version of the Knife Party bridge that he does live as well, with all the really high screeches.
I could float here forever

sooniletugo

Penicks

B0RNtoR0CK

No, but Kyo from Dir En Grey can....and probably better too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J6YI5ysDU8 2:50ish and throughout the song

Lucas_Moreno

No but I try. I have a raspy voice so these things kind of fuck up my throat.

The Cyndicate

This is old and it's got some fucked up parts. The guitar input was fucking up live on stage, ended causing part of the first of the song to get cut. You can tell I was not pleased about this.

I also take some liberty with the lyrics. I have an illness called porphyria and I think that should explain them for you.

Other than that, this is pretty much what you asked for, especially the scream at the very end.

Lifter
https://youtu.be/1EiNAnoeVP4

sooniletugo

That was ace. Nailed the screams at the end too, damn. And that was 2000? Real cool stuff.

The Cyndicate

Quote from: sooniletugo on Sep 01, 2016, 10:49 PM
That was ace. Nailed the screams at the end too, damn. And that was 2000? Real cool stuff.

Thanks.
Yeah, the screams at the end are really hard to do. He always had Chi do it live for him. It's pretty damn hard to do it yourself without passing out, lol.

Agameoftwo

That was terrible. The band was bad. Your singing was bad. Your screams were okay but sounded nothing like chino and/or his screams. So no

The Cyndicate

Quote from: Agameoftwo on Sep 03, 2016, 12:36 AM
That was terrible. The band was bad. Your singing was bad. Your screams were okay but sounded nothing like chino and/or his screams. So no

Lol, glad you enjoyed it.

BTW, Patrick Haynes from Straight Line Stitch was on drums and Jesse H. From Ten Years was the guy the sung into the mic from the crowd.

lungdamage

That was cool!  Too loud for the recording device... as it was back then all the time!   unless getting it from the desk haha.

lungdamage

That close to the PA anyway. I thought you did a cool cover of it vocally. Good stuff.

Dryalex12

Update. I finally learned how to do the whistle register, so now im one step closer to doing it!

The Cyndicate

Quote from: lungdamage on Sep 14, 2016, 10:15 AM
That was cool!  Too loud for the recording device... as it was back then all the time!   unless getting it from the desk haha.

Quote from: lungdamage on Sep 14, 2016, 10:15 AM
That close to the PA anyway. I thought you did a cool cover of it vocally. Good stuff.

Yeah, it was pretty close to a loud PA.

This was done at like 4am, so I was tired, they started the show way too late and this was a spur of the moment thing.

I have other examples, but this is about the oldest and most certainly true to form as there is no retakes. For me, it's just fun to watch. I love the mistakes, the character in it and the fact that multiple people in that clip ended up making it and doing well for themselves.

So it's nice to get your compliments on top of it all.

In the end, it is a very hard song to sing.

BewareTheWater

I plan on trying to atleast sing like him some time in the kinda-distant-but-not-really future... Wish me luck, lol

I didn't think that was too bad at all , Cyndicate

O