Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

What are the least accessible Deftones songs for you?

Started by astynk, Aug 09, 2016, 03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O

Bergerac

Not an accessibility problem, I like the track, but Root is my least favourite on Adrenaline, seems to be a top 3 for so many. No skips though.

ATF - nothing really, it took me a while to really love Dai The Flu though. I always liked it but recently (within the past year) I'd say it's one of the best tracks. No skips.

Pony - Whilst I used to rate them very highly, I tend to skip RX Queen, Street Carp and Teenager and head straight to Knife Prty if I'm attentively listening to Pony. They're not bad but they're just not wild, especially the latter two, so I rarely listen to them. I associate Pony with wanting to listen to some near futuristic sleek shit, and those three just aren't on the level of say, Feiticeira, Bath or Korea, where I do get that feeling the strongest.

S/T is fucking god tier and I skip nothing. Though I could see how people would say GMB. I actually took a very long time to appreciate Bloody Cape and Moana like the rest, but I love them equally now. Bloody Cape, it's the intro/verse guitars. It's the most... swashbuckling rhythm they've ever written. I just don't like it, heavy riff is fucking great but that verse shit sounds like some serious sailing music - like they wrote the riff to literally SOUND like the lyrcs. Moana was just a bit too shoegaze for me initially, after everything that preceeded it on the album, it felt like it should have ended on a more personal note. Especially right after Anniversary. No skips.

I still hate SNW for being the escapist shit that it is. It's easier to list what I would listen to - HITE, Beware, Waves, Xerces, Rats, Riviere, and even then I only really love Xerces and Riviere. I would have preferred Waves to sound more like the demo with clearer vox and Beware the live version that circled long before the album dropped. This just isn't a Deftones album to me. They just tried so hard to be anyone else. Really disappointing given that S/T was about embracing their vulnerabilities or at least being too caught up in them to lie about it.

Diamond Eyes I skip DE, Prince, Sextape. DE is like if they were some poppier shittier metal band, Prince just ain't a nice melody, and Sextape, I get it, it's Deftones so it's cool but it still sounds a bit too cockrock for my liking.

Koi - I only really skip Leathers (don't enjoy the high notes, similar to Kim Dracula) though I do love the bridge leading up to the ending, and Graphic Nature.

Gore - Geometric Headdress. Just not a nice melody, which is compounded by the timing signature. Xenon also has a really dull chorus and Phantom Bride is SNW-level identity loss, hate it.

BewareTheWater

Quote from: Cullision on Aug 21, 2016, 10:07 AM
Lol Jesus. Do you even like this band bro?
My thoughts on the majority of these posts tbh

For me, I can really only think of one song that is universally disliked by even the purest Deftones Stans.... Pink Cellphone.

Also, Mein. Good song on it's own, but a severe waste of Serj Tankian if you think about it. Dude only has one line the entire song.

I also really don't understand the hate Gore is getting . I guess people will just hate on anything that's new.

Vesanic

I'd say S/T is their least accessible. I used to hate the record, thought it was way too repetitive and homogeneous. I even remember thinking "Why did they include Moana, sounds like a rehash of Battle-axe and Good Morning Beautiful". It took me a few years and some personal experiences to really embrace the vibe of the record and understand what it was about.

Pretty sure that's why so many people hate it. It has to hit you personally, otherwise it sounds just weird and lazy.

nineteen

Quote from: Vesanic on Oct 08, 2016, 06:15 PM
I'd say S/T is their least accessible. I used to hate the record, thought it was way too repetitive and homogeneous. I even remember thinking "Why did they include Moana, sounds like a rehash of Battle-axe and Good Morning Beautiful". It took me a few years and some personal experiences to really embrace the vibe of the record and understand what it was about.

Pretty sure that's why so many people hate it. It has to hit you personally, otherwise it sounds just weird and lazy.

I can relate to this. Took me ages to really get the S/T album but it seemed really disjointed to me at that time. Even with White Pony it took some listens.

ATF was really accessible to me, which usually means I get fed up with it quickly. However, it was the soundtrack to a great time in my life and I guess that's why it stuck past that honeymoon period (nostalgia perhaps). When WP and S/T came out, I'd moved on a bit and it was only a couple years later I revisited them to fully appreciate those albums.

Seven

BewareTheWater

Rubicon is fucking worshipped by everyone. I'm more of a Geometric Headdress kinda guy .

illthrowROCKS@U

Yeah, Rubicon is pretty good, but I don't get the love for it. It's not even in my top 5 on Gore.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Seven