Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Least favorite parts/moments in Deftones songs?

Started by krook, Sep 28, 2016, 07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krook

We've had a thread for favorite parts but not least favorite so here we go.

1. The second half of Pink Cellphone. I guess everyone has it as #1 in this list
2. Radio voice effect on Romantic Dreams. My fave off of KNY though
3. The new in-your-face style singing on some Gore songs (for example, the beginning of Geometric Headdress)
4. Cantrell's solo on Phantom Bride
5. Tankjan's input on Mein
6. The moaning on Knife Prty
7. Lovers, in whole
8. Needles and Pins chorus & bridge. The verse is sick though. Totally love the "uh-uh" effects by Frank, they also appear on Battle Axe.
9. 7 Words chorus. Way too repetitive. Same with Hexagram.

Please don't say "are you even a fan" and so on. Just writing out some parts that are not perfect, that's it.
I hate White Pony.

Penicks

Shadow46/2

The shouting that kicks off Doomed User

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Speak of the devil, and he shall appear.

krook

I hate White Pony.

mono

pink cellphone, the part from 0:00 to 5:04

digital bath

-the part between Mx and Damone, back then with my cheap ass discman it was a 50/50 chance to fast forward to the right moment without accidentally skip the whole song.
-even the bong noise in between
-the outro from headup
-most of gore

Inkblades

- Chino's verse vocals on Beware and Doomed User, although I blame the bad production more than him.
- The verse vocals on Tempest once the guitars and drums kick in. HATE them with an unbridled passion. Can't blame that one on bad production.
- The heavy parts of Gore. Does absolutely nothing for me. Paint-by-numbers Deftones.
- The bridge on Entombed. Come on, you can do better than that, fellas.
- Sextape's chorus. Just comes off as banal to me.
- The plodding chorus riff on Beauty School, although I truly believe Stephen was purposefully trying to make Chino's love song ugly. Kind of like how Johnny Greenwood was trying to fuck up Creep with abrasive guitar.
- That lazy ass riff Diamond Eyes riff Stephen recycled for the end of Rosemary.
- EVERYTHING besides Chino's vocals on What Happened to You?

snw9

Code: [Select]

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Inkblades on Oct 01, 2016, 03:00 AM
- Chino's verse vocals on Beware and Doomed User, although I blame the bad production more than him.
- The verse vocals on Tempest once the guitars and drums kick in. HATE them with an unbridled passion. Can't blame that one on bad production.
- The heavy parts of Gore. Does absolutely nothing for me. Paint-by-numbers Deftones.
- The bridge on Entombed. Come on, you can do better than that, fellas.
- Sextape's chorus. Just comes off as banal to me.
- The plodding chorus riff on Beauty School, although I truly believe Stephen was purposefully trying to make Chino's love song ugly. Kind of like how Johnny Greenwood was trying to fuck up Creep with abrasive guitar.
- That lazy ass riff Diamond Eyes riff Stephen recycled for the end of Rosemary.
- EVERYTHING besides Chino's vocals on What Happened to You?

Broooo...... I couldn't be in any more disagreement with you. The heavy parts of Creep are awesome, that is the perfect balance of sweet and heavy.

I do agree about Tempest, and honestly see it as their worse single, maybe their worst song ever. When they play it live, that's when I get another beer.

I do also agree about Gore, the SONG (not the album). The song does nothing for me either.

I also agree about Sextape, Beauty School, and Diamond Eyes, but mostly because DE is my least favorite album from them.

WHTY? is easily one of the best songs on KNY though...
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Inkblades

Broooo...... I wasn't complaining about Creep. Just using it as an analogy. It's legend that Greenwood didn't like Creep, so he did those guitar "stabs" before the chorus to fuck the song up. But, little did he know, it actually made the song more memorable and helped it become Radiohead's hugest hit.

That being said...while I do like Creep, Radiohead still literally have about 100 better songs than Creep.

And WHTY? is awful, probably my least favorite Deftones song of all time, but to each their own...

Seven

Exactly. There's more than one way to skin a cat , Deftones-self titled is awful, on the 100 worst albums ever made. Needless to say, in my book. On other hand, many people are acting like this is underrated, but to each their own...

BewareTheWater

The fact that Rocket Skates is pretty much the same lyrics/riffs over and over again.... Still a badass song, though.

BewareTheWater

Quote from: Seven on Oct 04, 2016, 06:32 PM
Exactly. There's more than one way to skin a cat , Deftones-self titled is awful, on the 100 worst albums ever made. Needless to say, in my book. On other hand, many people are acting like this is underrated, but to each their own...
Slow your roll there m8

Seven

Quote from: BewareTheWater on Oct 04, 2016, 08:03 PM
The fact that Rocket Skates is pretty much the same lyrics/riffs over and over again.... Still a badass song, though.
Rocket Skates sucks, though !

Under Control m8

Seven

The whole song: rosemary, prince..lame as fuck.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: BewareTheWater on Oct 04, 2016, 08:04 PM
Slow your roll there m8

Yeah, for real... one of the 100 worst albums ever made? More like best Deftones album by a mile 0.o
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

BewareTheWater

Quote from: Seven on Oct 04, 2016, 09:03 PM
Quote from: BewareTheWater on Oct 04, 2016, 08:03 PM
Rocket Skates sucks, though !

Under Control m8
K

Seven

Quote from: illthrowROCKS@U on Oct 04, 2016, 09:27 PM
Quote from: BewareTheWater on Oct 04, 2016, 08:04 PM
Slow your roll there m8

Yeah, for real... one of the 100 worst albums ever made? More like best Deftones album by a mile 0.o

Yeah, maybe 1st one by a mile... the worst album of all time. Starts with chino wanna be, so edgy...dying goat screams..fuck! Im out! But
to each their own...