Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Ohms: pre-release hype thread

Started by LG95, Feb 24, 2018, 01:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LG95

Ok, this may go nowhere but over the past couple of weeks, I've started to think a lot about the next record.

I think in some ways, this may be the strangest point in their whole career. Critically and commercially, they're in a good moment. They've reached a point where everyone respects the hell out of them. Bands love them. Rock press loves them. Even the indie critics have to give them some credit. They may not be as big as they were on White Pony but Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan were very significant in refreshing the support that had perhaps dwindled during the 'dark days'. Over here in the the UK for example, they're back playing 10,000+ capacity venues in London (Wembley Arena in 2016, Alexandra Palace in 2017) after they dropped down during SNW. Gore was very much a critical and commercial success and I think they're in pretty good form live right now.

At the same time, Gore was a major dividing point among fans. Some (slightly insane people) hate it. Some had a pretty lukewarm reaction to it. Nowhere near as many people are people are singing its praises in the triumphant manner they were with the previous two records. Perhaps more importantly, Stef's admission about his initial reluctance to Gore is bound to form part of the coverage for the next release. If his work is clearly present, that will get spun in a number of ways. If it isn't, then the same. Except possibly bigger.

As such, I think the build up to the next album will be the most interesting it's been in quite a while. The usual questions about musical direction aside, there will be a more definitive focus on Stef's contribution. Production, at least for fans, may form a bigger part of it too, after the problems with Matt Hyde on Gore.

So:

What would you like to see from the next album?

What do you think we'll get from the next album?

Who would you like to produce it?

What rough release date are you expecting?

I realise there may only be about three people still reading this forum but I'll post it anyway. Also if you're a "KOI NO YOKAN IS THR BEST DEAFTONES ALBUM EVA, GORE SUX" type, there is a special place on the internet for you called the Deftones subreddit. Go post there instead.

EDIT (Vesanic):

Writing sessions pictures 2018 + Chino interview 2018
Sorry...
I could float here forever

snw9

I would like to see Steph input more, since Diamond Eyes I felt this contributions have decreased, though on Gore I feel the stuff he wrote was powerful.

In terms of what to expect, it will just be another organic snapshot of the era, typical Deftones  8)
Code: [Select]

ManiacNebula420

There's an Interview when Chino said: I want Stephens "forefront" to the next album http://www.theprp.com/2017/10/02/news/chino-moreno-wants-stephen-carpenters-riffs-forefront-next-deftones-album/
There is anther one when Stephen talks about ATF and the next album last question scroll down https://www.google.hu/amp/s/www.guitarworld.com/.amp/artists/stephen-carpenter-looks-back-deftones-breakthrough-album-around-fur
So I'm think their next album is going to be heavy

Penicks

ANattyRat

One of the interviews someone posted earlier in this thread with Stef said that he's been working on some ideas, and that was last year, so it sounds like already it's an improvement from Gore from a Stef-motivation standpoint, which is great. Personally I do hope what Chino said about wanting to put Stef at the forefront becomes a reality, because I know people have been worried that Stef's ideas aren't being welcomed or whatever, so it'd be good to see what an album like that sounds like.

Deftones haven't disappointed me so far, so I don't particularly want or expect anything from them than for them to continue what they've been doing that allows them to make awesome music. Gore is one of my favourite albums, along with White Pony and the self-titled album, and I can't really understand the hate some people have for it. Criticisms or complaints, sure, but I can't see why it's such an utter failure to some people. But ah well.

We haven't had any updates about the progress of the album, so I'm going to play it safe and say we won't see the album released until 2019, but hopefully I'm wrong. And hopefully we'll get some new music this year.

E-Money

Could u imagine the hype if they brought Terry back for this one??Fuck that would be fun .

defsteve

Deftones have only ever released albums in 5 months of the year.

2 x April
2 x May
1 x June release
5 x October
1 x November

Adrenaline - Released: October 1, 1995
Around the Fur - Released: October 24, 1997
White Pony - Released: June 20, 2000
Deftones - Released: May 20, 2003
B-Sides & Rarities - Released: October 4, 2005
Saturday Night Wrist - Released: October 31, 2006
Diamond Eyes - Released: May 4, 2010
Covers - Released: April 16, 2011
The Vinyl Collection 1995–2011 Released: October 25, 2011
Koi No Yokan - Released: November 13, 2012
Gore - Released: April 8, 2016

I'm guessing (unless they are not hyping it at all this time) that we won't see a release in April, May or June so that would only leave October and November this year if they keep to the same release pattern.

My gut feeling is a new song in May/June, another in August/September, followed by US headline dates & festivals between August - October (especially Cal Jam '18 and Aftershock festival....both October).

Finish the year with European tour in November....either a co-headline with Alice In Chains in smaller arenas (10,000) or subbing System of a Down in larger arenas (15,000+).

That then leaves a break for Christmas/new year before starting up again in February 2019. US/Canadian/South American dates early in the year, Texas/US headline & festival dates in May (Worlds Loudest Month festivals) followed by European summer festivals in June/July/August (depending on what ones they do).

OR I'm completely wrong, the 2 European festival dates in June are the final Gore album cycle shows and we don't hear anything until 2019  ;D

I imagine album cycle touring plans are planned 12-18 months in advance so they will know now what they are doing. 

Disclaimer. The above is purely guesswork  :P
Crosses ††† : Facebook | Twitter | YouTube | Website

LG95

Quote from: ANattyRat on Feb 24, 2018, 04:28 PM
One of the interviews someone posted earlier in this thread with Stef said that he's been working on some ideas, and that was last year, so it sounds like already it's an improvement from Gore from a Stef-motivation standpoint, which is great. Personally I do hope what Chino said about wanting to put Stef at the forefront becomes a reality, because I know people have been worried that Stef's ideas aren't being welcomed or whatever, so it'd be good to see what an album like that sounds like.
Broadly agree, although to be honest, I think that's largely down to Stef. It certainly seemed to be the case with Gore that rather than his ideas being shut down, he just wasn't contributing early on in the process. I don't think he'll make that mistake this time.

Quote from: E-Money on Feb 25, 2018, 05:53 PM
Could u imagine the hype if they brought Terry back for this one??Fuck that would be fun .

I honestly think they will. Both Chino and Stef have praised his past work with them multiple times in the last year. And Terry seems like he'd work with them any time - indeed, he's supposedly a little disappointed that he didn't make all their records. Given the problems with Gore's production, I think there's a pretty good chance they'll want to go back to him.

nicklav

Vesanic

Reading all of this, I get a weird feeling about the upcoming show. They premiered new material out of the blue a couple of times, mostly after a long period of inactivity.

The article with Chino saying he wants Stef's sound back at the forefront of the music dates a few months, and he said something like he wanted to hang out at Stef's on weekends and jam.

It's a safe bet to say they have recorded something together and they're ready to tease. If not this show, maybe in Europe. They only ever premiered new work in the U.S though.

I have high hope to see Terry back. This would make sense with Chino kind of saying he wants a more classic Stef for the new album.

Jesus2Chino

For the love of all that is holy and good, please let Terry produce this next album, haha.
Much respect,
-Matt

defTHE1s

1) I'm not that big fan of a collab, even when I love Passenger, Phantom Bride is Ok, but on the other side, think Mein was a little disappointing, since I was expecting a better work or input from Serj. But, I would like to hear, if it's the chance given, a good collaboration vocal wise, but this time, a female collab.
Appart from that, I just expect to Deftones to sound like them, I know Eros is 50-50 expected to hear but I would leave what I want to hear from Eros, on Eros and from new album, on it.

2) If it's well produced, surely a new album that would be on top of Gore, at least.
And since Stef's input on the new Will Haven's song was great, I would really expect to take it to the next level using his 7's or 8's on Deftones.

3) Terry of course, that would be what we all expect, and since the comments saying that Chino wants to be Stef at the front of writing, I think no one ever has understood better what Deftones want, than Terry.

4) I would take it safe too, and not expect anything new 'till late 2019-early 2020. I know it seems a lot of time, but so did Gore next to KNW, almost 3 1/2 years one from the other.
But if they surprise us before that, I would love it.

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

illthrowROCKS@U

If I had to take a guess, just a shot in the dark, I'd say that the album will probably come out in about... 2 more hours.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
5/22/11 - Sunset Cove Amphitheater
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
10/26/12 - Ram's Head Live
3/8/13 - House of Blues
10/8/13 - Baltimore Arena
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
8/8/15 - Susquehanna Bank Center
8/3/16 - Pier Six Pavillion
6/14/17 - MGM National Harbor
5/17/22 - The Anthem

kurtone

I'd like to see Stef back on a six string. Terry Date producing coupled with the work ethic they band had during Diamond Eyes recording.

ANattyRat

Quote from: LG95 on Feb 27, 2018, 02:49 AM
Quote from: ANattyRat on Feb 24, 2018, 04:28 PM
Broadly agree, although to be honest, I think that's largely down to Stef. It certainly seemed to be the case with Gore that rather than his ideas being shut down, he just wasn't contributing early on in the process. I don't think he'll make that mistake this time.

Oh yeah, it seems like Stef just wasn't really inspired or in the right mindset to come up with his own ideas, but hopefully that won't be the case this time. He said he's been working on some ideas so sounds like there's already a difference.

Quote from: Vesanic on Feb 27, 2018, 03:50 AM
Reading all of this, I get a weird feeling about the upcoming show. They premiered new material out of the blue a couple of times, mostly after a long period of inactivity.

The article with Chino saying he wants Stef's sound back at the forefront of the music dates a few months, and he said something like he wanted to hang out at Stef's on weekends and jam.

It's a safe bet to say they have recorded something together and they're ready to tease. If not this show, maybe in Europe. They only ever premiered new work in the U.S though.

I don't know about this. With Gore they said they didn't want people's first time hearing a song to be live, especially with everyone being able to record it and share it, etc. But they did play Doomed User live before it was released, so who knows? Hopefully they'll give us something new, but I think it's probably a bit too early.

illthrowROCKS@U

I dunno, I was pretty happy with both Gore and KNY. Both see fairly regular rotation from me today. DE was okay, too. Sure, these albums are not as good as their earlier work, but honestly that's to be expected from most bands that have been at it this long, much less bands with such fantastic earlier work.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Inkblades

Quote from: M36 on Feb 28, 2018, 12:13 AM
Hahaha terry date lol thinking that it will ultimately lead us to a place of happiness, You'll always be disappointed, anyway it feels like every release could be that next classic album but never quite gets there ...

If Terry Date had produced Gore, it would probably be their best album since S/T, IMO. The only thing that really holds the album back, IMO, is weak production. Well, that, and Chino maybe should've have recorded his vocals on a day when his screams were a little more ferocious.

illthrowROCKS@U

Quote from: Inkblades on Feb 28, 2018, 10:49 PM
Quote from: M36 on Feb 28, 2018, 12:13 AM
Hahaha terry date lol thinking that it will ultimately lead us to a place of happiness, You'll always be disappointed, anyway it feels like every release could be that next classic album but never quite gets there ...

If Terry Date had produced Gore, it would probably be their best album since S/T, IMO. The only thing that really holds the album back, IMO, is weak production. Well, that, and Chino maybe should've have recorded his vocals on a day when his screams were a little more ferocious.

I agree. From a song standpoint, Gore is at least the strongest album of the Sergio era (for me). The production is what keeps it down.
9/26/10 - Patriot Center
8/7/12 - Verizon Center
3/8/13 - House of Blues
7/31/15 - The Fillmore
5/17/22 - The Anthem

Inkblades

wat

LG95

Interesting post on here from a guy who went to Botanica Festival on Saturday.

Quote from: truthaddict on Mar 05, 2018, 09:32 PM
----03-03-18   Botanica Music Festival @ Six Flags, San Antonio TX   

Deftones put on a good show as always!  High energy.  Everyone sounded on point.  Chino said they haven't seen each other for like 4 months, and they were happy to see everyone.  According to their twitter, they got together a day early before the festival opened and rehearsed.  Not much other talk between songs.  Good set list!  Might be the only time I've ever heard them play Lifter live, so it was a nice surprise.  Minerva is always good!

Presuming it's true that they haven't seen each other for four months, it's probably safe to say that they haven't properly started writing yet. Which I think also means that it's very likely that they'll be doing so in/for the next two and a half months. With the South American tour and summer festivals, I don't know when they'll finish up - maybe the back end of the summer/early Autumn.

Which would set them up for a possible late 2018 release or more likely early 2019.