Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

George Floyd Protests

Started by DeftonesNZ, Jun 02, 2020, 02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeftonesNZ

Hey Guys, been watching these protest through streams (personal people not news outlets) online from New Zealand. Shit looks fucking crazy, curious to know what's it like where you are? Is it a lot of  media hype or is it  having a real impact on your day to day lives?

nicklav

Most of the country is fine. It's the big cities are seeing the majority of the violence.

DeftonesNZ

I've noticed it's been more peaceful the last 2 nights in most places, more structure to the protests with escalation coming from the police side most of the time.

Do you think it will just fizzle out or continue for a long time? from what I can tell it seems like a lot of Americans are still off work due to Covid shutdowns so are able to show up everyday which make this protesting more sustainable. It's a tough situation everyone knows there's a problem but there's no clear thing you can just change overnight, not sure what specifically the protesters want.

It's became fucking crazy watching a country that takes pride in their freedom have all these curfews and military presence, even saw that clip of someone getting shot with pepper bullets on their own porch. I figured this would just trigger a whole new wave of protestors upset about their loss of freedom.

nicklav

Quote from: DeftonesNZ on Jun 04, 2020, 10:30 AM
I've noticed it's been more peaceful the last 2 nights in most places, more structure to the protests with escalation coming from the police side most of the time.

Do you think it will just fizzle out or continue for a long time? from what I can tell it seems like a lot of Americans are still off work due to Covid shutdowns so are able to show up everyday which make this protesting more sustainable. It's a tough situation everyone knows there's a problem but there's no clear thing you can just change overnight, not sure what specifically the protesters want.

It's became fucking crazy watching a country that takes pride in their freedom have all these curfews and military presence, even saw that clip of someone getting shot with pepper bullets on their own porch. I figured this would just trigger a whole new wave of protestors upset about their loss of freedom.

Hopefully that will be the end result. We take pride in our "freedom" but continue to empower the government in all areas. Maybe this is the beginning of the end of that.

FatherUppercut

I'm in Queens (NYC) and my area is pretty unaffected. I know they did a protest on one of the major streets in my neighborhood, but I didn't any damage or looting. All of the fires and broken windows that I've seen are in Manhattan, and I've heard parts of Brooklyn were bad as well, but haven't seen that personally.

I'm more concerned about the rise in gun violence... lots of shootings lately. Generally speaking my area is safe, and I'd like it to stay that way

The real shit show is in Portland and Seattle