Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Mastodon

Started by Chrisbo, Sep 13, 2006, 08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

I kinda like Show Yourself. It has a strong QOtSA feel to it.

O

RoyalDeftonicBoy

New song Andromeda!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ry7FStwey4
Fan-fucking-tastic! Can't wait for my deluxe pre order to arrive!

O

I can't bear the presumption of Mastodon fandom. Crack The Skye Lol.  Mastodon plays metal for people who don't really like metal, and prog for people who don't really like prog. Crack The Skye is like a vegan milk.  An inferior substitute for something the target audience, as well as a good percentage of the general public, finds repulsive in its original form.

Crazylegs

Quote from: O on Mar 07, 2017, 08:20 PM
An inferior substitute for something the target audience, as well as a good percentage of the general public, finds repulsive in its original form.

Huh? So, metalheads find metal repulsive?

RoyalDeftonicBoy

O

RoyalDeftonicBoy

New link for the album for those who care.

http://turbobit.net/dcox77fh51hw.html

theis

Gonna wait until I have the vinyl in my hands. I've heard it's amazing, though.

bright lights, big city

I REALLY enjoy this album. Another slight evolution in their sound, but they are so good. Top to bottom, I think I already like this more than Once More Round The Sun.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

The Prodigy

I think it's more weak than Once More Round The Sun.

LG95

I could float here forever

The Prodigy

Show yourself is weak asf!

theis

Can we take a moment and talk about how underrated "The Hunter" is? I seriously love that album. I have a feeling that people hated on it because it was such a drastic change in sound from Crack the Skye.
It still kicks ass, though. It's more straightforward sludge, while still maintaining the psychedelic elements that Mastodon are known for.

Can I get some love?

Crazylegs

Honestly, i've probably only heard the album in its entirety once, and i went in to it already hating it.
The moment i heard "it's just the curl of the burl, that's just the way of the world" i thought fuck this.

Checking it out again now there are a few highlights (spectrelight is probably my favorite), but for me, The Hunter is where shit took a turn into something i'm just not that interested in. Actually in hindsight, that started on Crack the Skye.

I think my preferences in heavy music have kinda gone in the opposite direction of the evolution of Mastodon's sound.

bright lights, big city

And I would say that Crack the Skye is my favorite Mastodon album. Sorry Theis, I would still also say The Hunter is my least favorite. But songs like Stargasm, Spectrelight, and Creature Lives have grown on me when I've heard them on shuffle over the years.

I'm with Crazylegs on Curl of the Burl though, haha.
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

Haha, fair enough. I agree, it doesn't hold a candle to the three albums before it, but I think it stands fine on its own. I like it more than Once More Round the Sun. Still haven't listened to Emperor of Sand.
Oh, and Curl of the Burl is one of my favorite songs on The Hunter ;)

Album rankings would probably look something like this:

Blood Mountain
Crack the Skye
Leviathan
The Hunter
Remission
Once More 'Round the Sun

bright lights, big city

definitely hard to argue with those 3 still being their best.
DERP