Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

NEW: Happy Xmas (War Is Over)

Started by buddyboy101, Dec 30, 2008, 01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buddyboy101

Abe was involved in a cover of "Happy Xmas (War Is Over"): http://www.myspace.com/puscavernrecording 

here's the link to purchase: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?i=299764554&id=299764538&s=143441

And here's some info: http://www.sacbee.com/music/story/1473436.html

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9HKxd2kqEk

[youtube=425,350]O9HKxd2kqEk[/youtube]

Happy Christmas (War Is Over)
Released 12/10/08
Nozzle Records
Digital Distribution through Ingrooves
Recorded at Pus Cavern, Sacramento, California
Executive Producer: Lesa Johnston
Producer: Dave Buckner
Engineer: Joe Johnston
Mastering:  Eric Broyhill, Monster Lab Audio
Artist: Pus Cavern Allstars
Guitars: Frank Hanon (Tesla)
     Michael Grant (Endeverafter)
     Sonny Mayugba (Day Care and Phallucy)
Guitar with Vibe: Shaun Lopez (FAR)
Bass: Brian Wheat (Tesla)
Drums: Abe Cunningham (Deftones, Phallucy)
Piano: Brandon Tyler
Saxophone: Jason Boggs (The Snobs)
Mandolin: Joe Getty (The Dead Flowers, Armstrong and Getty)
Programming and Keyboards: Dave Buckner (Papa Roach, Last Angels)

Vocals:
Jeff Keith (Tesla),
Jonah Matranga (FAR),
Michael Grant (Endeverafter),
Brandon Tyler,
Danny Secretion (The Secretions),
Jason Boggs (The Snobs),
    Keri Carr (Rowdy Kate),
Larisa Bryski,
Jake Desrochers (Last Angels, Lonely Kings),
Lynn Mayugba (The Skirts),
    Sarah Volkov  (Evelyn),
    Joe Getty (The Dead Flowers, Armstrong and Getty),
Chelsea Baker (Aroarah),
            Morgan Knoester (Aroarah),
Mike Hood (The Hoods),
Shaun Lopez (FAR),
Dave Buckner (Papa Roach, Last Angels)

All-star lineup for benefit holiday song
By Rachel Leibrock
rleibrock@sacbee.com
Published: Monday, Dec. 15, 2008 | Page 8D

With more than two dozen musicians (and their egos), conflicting schedules and a tight production timetable, it could have been a disaster.

Lesa Johnston, cofounder of the Pus Cavern Recording Studio, admits she was worried. In the end, however, the Pus Cavern Allstars' recording of "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)" was as fun and peaceful a project as its name suggests.

"I was concerned - all those egos coming - but the recording sessions ended up being so much fun," she says. "Everyone was just so cool."

The artists on the song, recorded to benefit the Sacramento Children's Chorus, are a Who's Who of Sacramento musicians, including members of the Deftones, Tesla, the Hoods, Far, the Skirts, the Secretions and the Snobs.

Johnston - along with her husband, engineer Joe - had put together local Christmas CDs before, but this year, as the deadline approached, she was faced with a lack of material and the gnawing need to get something done.

"We didn't get enough submissions this year, (but) I had the urge, I needed to do this (because) at the end of the day, we give the money to someone who needs it," she says.

So, with the holiday season approaching, the Johnstons called on their friend Dave Buckner. The former Papa Roach drummer, now playing with his own band Last Angels, agreed to produce and quickly decided on just the right song.

"'Happy Christmas (War Is Over)' is probably the coolest rock 'n' roll Christmas song ever," Buckner says of the John Lennon penned tune, alternately known as "Happy Xmas" (War Is Over)." "It's just not your average holiday tune - it goes much deeper." With the song decided, Buckner says, everything else just fell into place, even as musicians scrambled to meet their tight production schedule.

"There were some scary moments, but in the end, everyone was extremely easy to work with." So, no trashed waiting rooms? No outrageous demands? No holding out for the choicest guitar solo? Nope, not even one tantrum.

"It was one of the loosest, most fun vibes," says Daycare guitarist Sonny Mayugba. "It was just everyone learning the song together and not sweating it - we're all older, we're all professionals, and it was just about getting down the best song we could."

The Pus Cavern Allstars

Song: "Happy Christmas (War Is Over)"

Style: Rockin' around the Christmas tree

Behind the song: Sonny Mayugba, who plays rhythm guitar on the track, says the modern Christmas classic proved to be a difficult undertaking. "I thought I could just play it by ear, but the song is really not that easy – Beatles chords in general are pretty tricky," Mayugba says. "I had to get the sheet music to learn it and was totally just cramming to learn it in time for the session."

But with the chords finally figured out and parts learned, the gathering became relaxed, filled with impromptu covers and jam sessions.

"Recording studios are usually kind of nerve-wracking, but this was almost like playing a live show," Mayugba says. "Everyone was playing – you had five or six guitarists, totally soloing their heads off. I think that's why the song comes out sounding so fun – those guys are just having a good time."

Download: "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" for 99 cents at iTunes.com. All proceeds benefit the Sacramento Children's Chorus (www. sacramento childrenschorus.org).

For more information and a complete list of participating musicians: myspace.com/puscavernrecording

Martin

deftonekid

buddyboy101

You can watch the vid on youtube (see original post).  Please no filesharing.  The proceeds go to charity and I think we can all afford a buck.

buddyboy101

also look who mastered - "Eric Broyhill" - this name should sound familiar.  Many of the new TS demos posted on teamsleep.net had "broyhill demos" listed as the album name in the id3 tag.

mono

dictatesofreason

Scarf_Bitch

\

Deftones-argentina

Abe knows how to rock properly even on a christmas song.

Martin

Quote from: Deftones-argentina on Jan 01, 2009, 05:47 PM
Abe knows how to rock properly even on a christmas song.

Very much so.

sleeptraveler

defTHE1s

good song (the one of the video)... thanks for the info

Yes yes, Deftones, yes yes, heavy metal, yes yes, nü metal, yes yes, fucking queer, yes yes...

tarkil

Wow, I finally watched this, and the only gayer thing than this song I ever witnessed is the clip...

God that was awful...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

occipudding

machete!  meow