Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

have the Deftones (finally) sold out?

Started by ltd_viper, Nov 01, 2006, 04:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BLUMPKIN

the only time deftones flirted with selling out is with back to school, which to me seemed like an attempt to cater to the same 13-17 year olds who were buying up all the shit bizkit and papa roach cd's at the time. 

the only way a band can truly sell out is to compromise their musical values in order to reach a wider audience and ultimately become richer for doing so

deftones are very content with the level of fame and success they have reached and are only making music for themselves and the fans at this point in their career, there are no ulterior motives

marty

Even if Deftones released an album of spoon tapping...i'd still buy it.

Same as Metallica...doesn't matter how water-thin they go...I'd still get it

Black Elvis

i am the black elvis

Quote from: Black Elvis on Jun 16, 2007, 01:57 AM
Delicous melissa ticklish in your mothers delicious citrus clitorious

no

Quote from: marty on Jun 12, 2007, 03:47 AM
Even if Deftones released an album of spoon tapping...i'd still buy it.

Same as Metallica...doesn't matter how water-thin they go...I'd still get it

even if chino rammed his cock into your mouth forcefully, you'd still suck it.

nineteenpeoplesnames

The Deftones will only be sold out to me when they bring out a Deftones branded Codpiece.

And even then i'd actually think about buying a Codpiece.

You never know.

Black Elvis

Quote from: nineteenpeoplesnames on Jun 13, 2007, 10:27 PM
The Deftones will only be sold out to me when they bring out a Deftones branded Codpiece.

And even then i'd actually think about buying a Codpiece.

You never know.

i am the black elvis

Quote from: Black Elvis on Jun 16, 2007, 01:57 AM
Delicous melissa ticklish in your mothers delicious citrus clitorious

endoeleven

the Deftones sold out when you first heard them.

IN WAVES

Deftones haven't sold out. They change their style because they want to, not because other people tell them to.  Speaking of change, has anyone heard the new Korn song? I really don't like it.

ALightOn

Quote from: IN WAVES on Jun 19, 2007, 07:03 AM
Deftones haven't sold out. They change their style because they want to, not because other people tell them to.  Speaking of change, has anyone heard the new Korn song? I really don't like it.
...I think you are being kind (about the Korn song)...

Hidalgo

they got pretty big in 2000, but it was far from selling out, because they made a record oposite of what was cool then(LB, papa roach, korn, etc), & i think people knew it was a breath of fresh air

Alvar

Quote from: Hidalgo on Jun 19, 2007, 08:15 PM
they got pretty big in 2000, but it was far from selling out, because they made a record oposite of what was cool then(LB, papa roach, korn, etc), & i think people knew it was a breath of fresh air

yeah, the WP era was their most popular. and speaking about selling out: many ppl worried about the s/t cd when it came out because their music changed too much and didnt sound like the previous album...., but that is in fact the best example that they just didnt WANT to get popular and make music like everyone wants them to make it. they felt like trying something new (like always) and threw out hexagram as a single with lots of fans in the video, the sinlge wasnt successfull, but who gave a fuck?
u know what i mean. some people cry about the deftones not making a popular album that they like from the first listening on instead of letting the music grow on them, other people think that the deftones try to make popular music and the band "sold out".

all the deftones do is music. they do whatever they want to do. they had their chance to get a big mainstream nu-metal band that makes music for 13 year old girls and releases an mtv-unplugged album some years later, but they chose their way as true musicians who make music for the fans instead of making the big money.

thats why they get my respect. they kept it real.

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

godin

Dingus.

Shaye

Quote from: no on Jun 12, 2007, 04:06 AM

Please believe it.

occipudding

Quote from: BLUMPKIN on Jun 12, 2007, 03:45 AM
the only time deftones flirted with selling out is with back to school, which to me seemed like an attempt to cater to the same 13-17 year olds who were buying up all the shit bizkit and papa roach cd's at the time. 

i love back to school.  i don't care what anybody says.  its one of my 4 ringtones.

anyway, i dont care if they "sell out" or have "sold out."  when they stop making music i like, ill stop listening to the shit they come out with.  but i doubt that'll happen.
machete!  meow

White Pwny

Quote from: Shaye on Feb 08, 2008, 10:12 PM

Please believe it.

Hell.. I don't think it would have to be done forcefully for "some people" to suck it.   (ie... Me and Shaye)
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

Shaye

Quote from: White Pwny on Feb 09, 2008, 12:08 AM
Quote from: Shaye on Feb 08, 2008, 10:12 PM

Please believe it.

Hell.. I don't think it would have to be done forcefully for "some people" to suck it.   (ie... Me and Shaye)

Exactly. You can't rape the willing. And I am sooooo willing. Haha.

13hourstoparadise

Deftones started to sell out in '94 when they were sponsered by Adidas!!! However, they stay true to their word so they will never become the offical sell out... IHMO

deafnotes

when you sell your ticket, sell you album thats already a sold out

13hourstoparadise

Quote from: deafnotes on Feb 14, 2008, 08:28 AM
when you sell your ticket, sell you album thats already a sold out

:D