Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

have the Deftones (finally) sold out?

Started by ltd_viper, Nov 01, 2006, 02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MxNovaStorm

fuck this bullshit

"hey i use long words in a correct manner and talk like i know exactly whats goin down in every part of the world in everybodies brains, oh and i am the god of taste.
i know exactly how every band should sound and i can fuckin suck my own dick."

"mgnbgnbkuphfff wahhh its not progressive, blaghghhh it sounds like team sleep, grupfffgh i have to much time on my hands but not enuff dick to play wit"

How fuckin old are you fuckers who talk like u got that broomstick up yo ass.
is yo dick that small that you have to blow holes in everybody elses ships.

Bottom line, if you love deftones then u will love this record, if u have a small dick then u will probably come up on here and try make all the lovers of it feel bad so they will know how u feel.

Bad luck biatches cuz the record is here, its real, its deftones and it kicks ass, and it only continues to make my dick bigga with each listen, so suck it.

(p.s. sorry to all the people who dont understand this but i had to make it readable to the "self-proffesed longworded life masters" on here. you know who u r)

makes me wana spaz fit at the frustraition of your retardedness

MxNovaStorm

ok, so i got that out.  U know i dont understand these moaning fuckers cuz is life not a little more than a band making music for a specific fan.

Each of their albums has been like a soundtrack for that time in my life, they have all changed, they all have their own personality and i can feel the change within the individual members to go along with that musical change.  I feel that thru their music i know the guys better than spending a year in their pockets. 

This is by far a much darker record than ive heard them make before and it fits the uncertainty of the time that is now.

Its a great record and its really up to deftones and how they feel and live that makes each record what it is.  Its their choice to make music, and to make this specific music and to take it in whatever direction their hearts desire.
And as for us, we are their followers and their fans, its our job to listen and enjoy with the knowledge that this is the music they chose to give us.

bangbang240

Quote from: Bergerac on Nov 01, 2006, 12:52 PM
I believe a band should suppress as much influence as possible so that they may find their own way.

Being a musician, I have so many mixed feelings about this statement. You go through your whole life listening and hearing music that determines what you will eventually think sounds "good". When you write a song.. you can tell if it sounds "good" to you or not. So, obviously when you write something you think sounds good it is going to sound kinda similar to stuff you like... the important thing being you have a wide variety of influences so you don't get stuck writing the same song over and over. Which, I think is exactly what the deftones have not done.

Also.. earlier you said that they have always been on the cutting edge, not sounding like people who influenced them, but I can remember when adrenaline came out there were people saying deftones were nothing but a Helmet rip off... so no matter what you make.. people will say it sounds like this or that.

nineteenpeoplesnames

Quote from: MxNovaStorm on Nov 01, 2006, 07:46 PM
fuck this bullshit

"hey i use long words in a correct manner and talk like i know exactly whats goin down in every part of the world in everybodies brains, oh and i am the god of taste.
i know exactly how every band should sound and i can fuckin suck my own dick."

"mgnbgnbkuphfff wahhh its not progressive, blaghghhh it sounds like team sleep, grupfffgh i have to much time on my hands but not enuff dick to play wit"

How fuckin old are you fuckers who talk like u got that broomstick up yo ass.
is yo dick that small that you have to blow holes in everybody elses ships.

Bottom line, if you love deftones then u will love this record, if u have a small dick then u will probably come up on here and try make all the lovers of it feel bad so they will know how u feel.

Bad luck biatches cuz the record is here, its real, its deftones and it kicks ass, and it only continues to make my dick bigga with each listen, so suck it.

(p.s. sorry to all the people who dont understand this but i had to make it readable to the "self-proffesed longworded life masters" on here. you know who u r)

makes me wana spaz fit at the frustraition of your retardedness

christ, there's alot of Penis reference in that post.

ALightOn

Quote from: MxNovaStorm on Nov 01, 2006, 07:56 PM
ok, so i got that out.  U know i dont understand these moaning fuckers cuz is life not a little more than a band making music for a specific fan.

Each of their albums has been like a soundtrack for that time in my life, they have all changed, they all have their own personality and i can feel the change within the individual members to go along with that musical change.  I feel that thru their music i know the guys better than spending a year in their pockets. 

This is by far a much darker record than ive heard them make before and it fits the uncertainty of the time that is now.

Its a great record and its really up to deftones and how they feel and live that makes each record what it is.  Its their choice to make music, and to make this specific music and to take it in whatever direction their hearts desire.
And as for us, we are their followers and their fans, its our job to listen and enjoy with the knowledge that this is the music they chose to give us.

How many soundtracks do you plan on having?

MxNovaStorm

Paulro

They haven't sold a product through any other companies or industries other than music and merch, I don't think they've sold out yet. But I do believe most of this album could've been way better, probably couldve explored the S/T route just a little more. My least favorite of these guys, but atleast they did change somewhat on this record. Just not the change I would've hoped for.

MxNovaStorm

like i said each record has been a soundtrack for that time in my life.
unless i suddenly drop dead its kind of an unlimited thing.  
I remember specific things like parties where people got fukt up and i learned something, or the time i got some for the first time, or the first time i smoked weed, all the more clearly with the help of the album i was diggin at the time.  It jus so happens that deftones have made records that seem to resemble (at least to me) exactly who i was each time.

ALightOn

Quote from: MxNovaStorm on Nov 01, 2006, 08:19 PM
like i said each record has been a soundtrack for that time in my life.
unless i suddenly drop dead its kind of an unlimited thing.  
I remember specific things like parties where people got fukt up and i learned something, or the time i got some for the first time, or the first time i smoked weed, all the more clearly with the help of the album i was diggin at the time.  It jus so happens that deftones have made records that seem to resemble (at least to me) exactly who i was each time.

..better explanation...just don't know about this one though(SnW)...This Disc just doesn't "touch" me...haHa

siL.

Actually, if you think about it, most colabs they've done with other musicians does make the song more similar to the guest's band's sound. So why is this such an issue now? Max on Headup actually does make it sound similar to Soulfly (Shut the fuck up I know Soulfly was created after the song), and Passenger, as admitted by the band themselves, makes it sound more similar to Tool. So what's the problem with Xerces sounding more like Team Sleep? I mean Rick did co-write the song. He is a guest. Also, PCP, and The Code don't sound like Teamsleep, so I think some of the criticism is unmerited....

tiger mode

someone whos saying that deftones dont sound like anyother band....man thats dumb. Every musician takes influence from a band.

seriously listen to My Bloody Valentine, or The Cure. Aside from that...as much as i love the deftones...You people need to listen to Far, which is a band that influenced DEFTONES. People say ATF was cutting edge, but that album had so much Far influence, and even The Cure on BQAD. Far is actually the cutting edge of that sound i believe. Also, White Pony was really great cause they decided to experiment in the more moody/mellow/haunting/seductive sound. And with Adrenaline...listen to the way he sings....thats so Cure.

The Chauffer

Quote from: ltd_viper on Nov 01, 2006, 02:07 AM
Ok. this is an honest question...there is no punch line at the end!

This is my opinion, so even though Im gonna get 1,000,000 little Chino lovers complaining that Im tone def and that im an egg, but i honestly think that they've sold out/past their use by date/gone to shit

I just want to discuss. they're not pushing the envelope in regards to music, it's like they've found a style that they're comfortable with and haven't moved from it.

I was really dissapointed with SLW...there are some wicked ideas on it, but they weren't explored enough.

Im an original Deftones fan (saw them WWWWWAAAAAAYYYY back in 98 with about 50 other people), so don't bash me or i'll find you and french you!!!!

If you wanna band that changes their style...go listen to KORN! hahaha Deftones do what they do and they do it well. They make music THEY wanna hear, not what some whiney fan wants to hear. Dumbass....

tarkil

All you guys suck, he only stated his opinion, let him think what he wants. I disagree with you though ltd man... :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

deathblow

hahah this is becoming a trend...

i have friends who think Tool sold out on 10000 days,  people think system of a down sold out, people say Incubus sold out, and now FINALLY the deftones are labelled sell outs.   Why can't people just realize,  they are making music the way they want to...  Steph and abe aren't going to take a survey to see what the average teen's favourite chord progression or time signatures are, they're going to do what they like and do best. Tunes become catchier because they get better at what they do, and learn how to develop the sound they enjoy easier. And afterall , an opinion is an opinion, no two humans on earth will ever interpret something identically, you may think you're on the same page, but in reality, you still take it in completely different. I haven't even heard this record yet cuz ive been so fucking buisy with university, but i can already tell you, deftones didn't sell out, and theyre not making it for you, they made it for themselves, if you dont like it, turn it off, and put on some limp bizkit.

ps.  i bet if faith no more was still around, you shits would be calling them sellouts too

Swords

Quote from: deathblow on Nov 01, 2006, 10:22 PM
hahah this is becoming a trend...

i have friends who think Tool sold out on 10000 days,  people think system of a down sold out, people say Incubus sold out, and now FINALLY the deftones are labelled sell outs.   Why can't people just realize,  they are making music the way they want to...  Steph and abe aren't going to take a survey to see what the average teen's favourite chord progression or time signatures are, they're going to do what they like and do best. Tunes become catchier because they get better at what they do, and learn how to develop the sound they enjoy easier. And afterall , an opinion is an opinion, no two humans on earth will ever interpret something identically, you may think you're on the same page, but in reality, you still take it in completely different. I haven't even heard this record yet cuz ive been so fucking buisy with university, but i can already tell you, deftones didn't sell out, and theyre not making it for you, they made it for themselves, if you dont like it, turn it off, and put on some limp bizkit.

ps.  i bet if faith no more was still around, you shits would be calling them sellouts too

word... BEAUTIFUL.
FYIHYD

guizz

the album sounds like a deftones album.

and a very awesome at that

Maximum Bob

Saturday Night Wrist is the most original album i've heard. This record sounds completley different than anything they've ever done, I don't hear the same shit they've been doing which was already beautiful on its own. Every track sounds so different from the last, theres so much variety. I don't really care what people think about them selling out, I hope it goes number 1, mainly because they are number 1, secondly because it would be a cool pattern. I really don't think this record will be that big, mainstream wise, I just don't, I do think it will be their most successful though.

thirty nights of violence

Quote from: Bergerac on Nov 01, 2006, 12:52 PM
...based on the fact that I care for neither Radiohead or Pink Floyd. Regardless, I believe a band should suppress as much influence as possible so that they may find their own way. Deftones were doing that very well thus far.

Well, the first part about not caring much for Pink Floyd or Radiohead...well, that actually helped me understand why you think the way you do.

About the second part: You actually think Deftones suppressed their influences? That's too freakin' unbelievable. Have you heard ANYTHING by Deftones?
The awesome thing about them EMBRACING their influences, is that they actually always add their own sound to it, which makes it Deftones.

But, if you seriously believe that Deftones have suppressed their influences while writing their music, you need to go back and listen...and listen well. Then, you need to go and listen to Pink Floyd and Radiohead.

YouAreNotYourUserName

I saw them in 97...and i don't think they sold out...i just think this album is REALLY bad.

tension_the_wire

For gods sake!

You guys have gotta lighten up!!!!!

Viper... is my flatmate and I agree with him to a certain extend.

To me...the album just sounds incomplete. there are some wicked riffs and ideas on the Cd...but they just sound half-assed.