Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Recommend A Band Thread

Started by Juicy Fruit, Nov 16, 2006, 10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juicy Fruit

Well the idea of this thread is to post the names of a few bands you like, in the region of 5 - 10, and for other members to recommend a band you would like judging from the bands you already like. I don't know if this will work but it seemed like a good idea, and I love discovering new music. I'll go first:

At The Gates
In Flames
Arch Enemy
Opeth
Diablo

(Note: I'm not keen on Dark Tranquillity, even though that seems like an obvious band to suggest).
Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2007, 07:42 AM
i wanna give juicy fruit a cat bath

if u dont get it, think about how cats bath

tension_the_wire

What a wicked awsome idea Zara.
here is mine (with the type of style):
Dada (mellow rock)
Crowded House (New Zealand's best band)
The War Within (thrice sounding band from New Zealand)

Mascara Snake

Neil Young and Crazy Horse, for anyone who hasnt heard the awesomeness of neil and the horse heres a sample!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grok0EXtX5k

'When it comes to guitar solos, one note will do!!"

the energy neil has in this is crazy for a 50 year old man!

the crowd shots in this are so gay!!

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

defskull

No no no, she listed bands she likes. Now she wants recommendations of bands based on the ones she posted.

tension_the_wire

Quote from: defskull on Nov 16, 2006, 11:22 PM
No no no, she listed bands she likes. Now she wants recommendations of bands based on the ones she posted.
Are you sure? God, i don't know what to believe!

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: defskull on Nov 16, 2006, 11:22 PM

Well, recommendations of bands based on ones anyone's posted. But hey, where the thread will go, nobody knows.

Quote from: tension_the_wire on Nov 16, 2006, 11:25 PMAre you sure? God, i don't know what to believe!

Haha.

pissedandpierced

I totally recommend American Head Charge, their a fucking great band, full of energy, aggressive, hard and fast. The band have really been through the shit over the last few years with getting dropped by American Records, band members leaving and the death of Brian (RIP) but they still stick together and trudge through all the shit to give some fucking amazing live shows. The had one rather big hit called 'Just So You Know' which is a beautiful crafted song, Cameron Martin Heacock who has the most beautiful smile also has an amazing set of lungs and could easily give Chino a run for his money.
"It's good to be classic, it kinda shows that we're old" - Chino Moreno, Kerrang! Awards 2007

Fireal1222

hows about radiohead tool and pink floyd

oh yeah u dont like good music.

try muse

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

tension_the_wire

I would recommend Coheed & Cambria.

I know a lot of people really hate them (mainly due to Claudio's voice)...but the soundscapes they create (not to mention the story!!!) are breath taking.

Also, i have just learnt that Chris Pinote (Dillinger Escape Plan) is playing drums on their next album (and the first in the Coheed story)

defskull

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: Fireal1222 on Nov 17, 2006, 01:31 AM
hows about radiohead tool and pink floyd

oh yeah u dont like good music.

try muse

Haha. Actually I don't mind Floyd.

And Muse are great! I'm seeing them tonight as a matter of fact! ;D

As for Coheed & Cambria, I listened to a couple of their songs aaaaaaaages ago, was instantly put off by the vocals. I seem to remember thinking the music was alright though.

Fireal1222

i know u like muse. thats why i said that, to be a dick

enjoy the show tonight!

I'm Not Here.
This Isn't Happening.

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: Fireal1222 on Nov 17, 2006, 01:48 AM
i know u like muse. thats why i said that, to be a dick

enjoy the show tonight!

Haha I know... and you do it so well. :P

Thanks man. Just wish I had a decent digital camera to take with me. Chrisbo's pictures always come out looking great, I wonder what camera he has...

Infector

Quote from: tension_the_wire on Nov 16, 2006, 11:02 PM
Dada (mellow rock)

Awesome, some New Zealand Bands. I'm going to go ahead and recommend my fave NZ bands.

Slipping Tongue - Awesome metal type band from Rotorua, New Zealand. They have downloadable songs on their myspace. They are also probably one of my fav bands right now.

New Way Home - another cool metal band, they have a myspace as well with songs (by the way, if anyone could rip these songs that would be awesome)

8 Foot Sativa - described as NZ's premier metal band, they have released 3 albums in three years and are soon to do a fourth (but due to legal problems they can't right now)

Cripple Mr Onion - cool industrial metal band, they also have a myspace.

That's about it for now, i'm sure i'll find some more. Tell me what you think as well.

tension_the_wire

Quote from: Infector on Nov 17, 2006, 01:57 AM
Quote from: tension_the_wire on Nov 16, 2006, 11:02 PM
Dada (mellow rock)

Awesome, some New Zealand Bands. I'm going to go ahead and recommend my fave NZ bands.
Slipping Tongue - Awesome metal type band from Rotorua, New Zealand. They have downloadable songs on their myspace. They are also probably one of my fav bands right now.
New Way Home - another cool metal band, they have a myspace as well with songs (by the way, if anyone could rip these songs that would be awesome)
8 Foot Sativa - described as NZ's premier metal band, they have released 3 albums in three years and are soon to do a fourth (but due to legal problems they can't right now)
Cripple Mr Onion - cool industrial metal band, they also have a myspace.
That's about it for now, i'm sure i'll find some more. Tell me what you think as well.
God yeah, I love Slipping Tounge. We've played a few gigs when they're in Wellington. Such a nice sound (and Jennie's hot too)
Not a big fan of 8-foot Sativia.

new way home are brilliant as well. Glad to see the guys from sommerset didn't just die!
I gotta check out Cripple Mr Onion though.

Some other NZ bands Garmorragh - hardcore/grind/tech
Okasite - amazing puck rock
Nort - some brutal Pantera style metal
Cop Car - punk
Misconduct - OK Cali-style punk. Just a pity the drummers the biggest loser int he world

Chrisbo

Zaz, have you checked out Mastodon's new album 'Blood Mountain' yet? Seriously, that album is fucking amazing, a masterpiece, and I'm sure quite a few people here will agree with me on that.

Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Nov 17, 2006, 01:50 AMChrisbo's pictures always come out looking great, I wonder what camera he has...

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

lollercoaster

Umphrey's Mcgee www.umphreys.com
progressive rock band.  they will shred your face.  just ask tarkil

Mascara Snake

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."  Frank Zappa

fireflyry

Quote from: lollercoaster on Nov 17, 2006, 12:13 PM
Umphrey's Mcgee www.umphreys.com
progressive rock band.  they will shred your face.  just ask tarkil

Che?

Anyway.

http://www.thewbc.com/

EYEHATEGOD

Kyuss

Quote from: tiger modeThats why we're all here. Deftones - common ground.

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: Chrisbo on Nov 17, 2006, 12:10 PM
Zaz, have you checked out Mastodon's new album 'Blood Mountain' yet? Seriously, that album is fucking amazing, a masterpiece, and I'm sure quite a few people here will agree with me on that.

Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Nov 17, 2006, 01:50 AMChrisbo's pictures always come out looking great, I wonder what camera he has...

I downloaded about 4 songs from it a while ago which are pretty good, but I really ought to just buy the damn thing and listen to it properly. By the way how much was your camera (if you don't mind me asking)?