Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Recommend A Band Thread

Started by Juicy Fruit, Nov 17, 2006, 12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Battle-Axe

www.myspace.com/profoundhatred

Not enough people listen to Shai Hulud... at least I've only ever met 2 people who even know who they are.

emotivelotion

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: Battle-Axe on Sep 11, 2008, 06:26 PM

Not enough people listen to Shai Hulud... at least I've only ever met 2 people who even know who they are.

Seriously?  They've been around for a bit.  Not bad.

Battle-Axe

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Sep 11, 2008, 07:35 PM

Seriously?  They've been around for a bit.  Not bad.

Yea they've been going since 95 I think and I know 2 people who know who they are which is pretty disappointing :/

oldgentlovecraft

We must have a high concentration of hardcore kids here because I knew of them in high school.  They do stand above their peers.

Battle-Axe

Probably :P I only got into them last year but I've known who they are for a few years now and they definitely deserve a lot more credit/recognition or whatever than they get.

Oldnewtype

supersoad1

Paramore, Paramore, Paramore!!!

E-Money

DJ SHADOW is the Fucking Shitttttt

Moz

I love indie stuff that has emotion but with an edge, like Tokyo Police Club and Desaparecidos. Any tips?

cheachea

Check out these bands :     Common Children
                                                  Between the buried and me
Poyt Chops

nonesuch

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Sep 17, 2008, 09:30 PM
www.myspace.com/ineverynightmare

hardcore from my hometown
in every nightmare is fucking awesome!!
i drink your milkshake

deafnotes

Moz

I hate sweaty men wrestling. GTFO

occipudding

the year after i dropped out of high school, every girl in my former edjamacation station was wearing shai hulud hoodies.  i remember reading about some chick in the midwest or texas or something who got kidnapped and raped and murdered or some shit like that and she had a shai hulud tattoo.  when i was still in high school, every loser in a band who was and wasn't wearing tight, pressed polyester pants and playing emo was trying their damnedest to sound like shai hulud.  i think plenty of people listen to shai hulud.
machete!  meow

Battle-Axe

Well, then I shall rephrase that to "I know hardly anyone who listens to Shai Hulud" :)

Anyway, local band called Daywalkers:

http://www.myspace.com/daywalkersmusic

Saw them live last night cos they were supporting another local band I-DEF-I www.myspace.com/idefi who I went to see. Production isn't too great on those tracks but they were sweet as hell last night. Kinda like a cross between RATM and Skindred.

Oldnewtype

Quote from: nonesuch on Sep 22, 2008, 08:19 AM
Quote from: Oldnewtype on Sep 17, 2008, 09:30 PM
www.myspace.com/ineverynightmare

hardcore from my hometown
in every nightmare is fucking awesome!!

CD Release show is this Friday, Sept. 26th. Be there.

occipudding

Quote from: Drakesmoke1 on Feb 02, 2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.myspace.com/thehiddenrevolution

I know the drummer of this band. They've just put a new demo up called 'Panic', which is really nice. I don't know how to describe it, kind of like Muse, Jeff Buckley and 'Damnation' by Opeth in a blender. Really nice mellow rock with a groove.

i listened to "can't forget" by them and it's pretty rockin.  good recommendation.

here's a few recommendations

the host (progressive rock, for fans of kaddisfly)
you and i (best screamo band there ever was)
justin hinds & the dominoes (first-wave ska, rocksteady)
me'shell ndegeocello (neo-soul, funk, little rock thrown in, for fans of erykah badu and m.i.a.)
amel larrieux (neo-soul, rnb)
cymande (old funk band)
woven (kinda similar to team sleep i guess.  just some good rock/trip-hop.  they just came out with a new cd called designer codes)
red knife lottery (like a real punk rock yeah yeah yeahs)
the twilight singers (greg dulli from the afghan whigs.  rock with some real soul)
this is menace (some real angsty metalcore)
nacao zumbi (brazillian rock band)

machete!  meow

deepest_ocean

Quote from: occipudding on Sep 29, 2008, 08:22 AM

me'shell ndegeocello (neo-soul, funk, little rock thrown in, for fans of erykah badu and m.i.a.)
cymande (old funk band)
woven (kinda similar to team sleep i guess.  just some good rock/trip-hop.  they just came out with a new cd called designer codes)
the twilight singers (greg dulli from the afghan whigs.  rock with some real soul)

YES! This is the way bands should be recommended. I really enjoy this topic but it makes me mad when people just type in the name of the band without any description. It helps to have even a small clue what the bands are about so you can check the ones out that intrest you and not give a rats ass about the once you know you will dislike anyway.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: occipudding on Sep 29, 2008, 08:22 AM
Quote from: Drakesmoke1 on Feb 02, 2007, 09:19 PM
http://www.myspace.com/thehiddenrevolution

I know the drummer of this band. They've just put a new demo up called 'Panic', which is really nice. I don't know how to describe it, kind of like Muse, Jeff Buckley and 'Damnation' by Opeth in a blender. Really nice mellow rock with a groove.

i listened to "can't forget" by them and it's pretty rockin.  good recommendation.

cymande (old funk band)

Fuckin' A' bout You and I.