Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Recommend A Band Thread

Started by Juicy Fruit, Nov 17, 2006, 12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

Uno

with the heart of gold... to have and to hold.

justaphase

telefon tel aviv
threat signal
mono (japan)
denali
gordian knot
god is an astronaut
shiny toy guns
under the influence of giants
the ladies
mutemath
mewithoutYOU
kaki king
opus dai
the stiletto formal
cheval de frise

Swords

mewithoutYOU, Architects, The American Dollar, Jesu, The Recieving End Of Sirens, TV On The Radio, Torche, Cult Of Luna... i'll probably think of more later.

and some older bands that aren't around anymore:

Beloved (US), Hum, Failure, Embodyment...

also, an amazing local band that has been broken up for awhile called Mkshft

www.myspace.com/mkshft
FYIHYD

333tone

Dodheimsgard
Iron Monkey
Kerbdog(the perfect combination of grunge and Metallica's Black Album)
Madrugada
Tindersticks
Tom Waits
Anathema
Jesu
Botch
Monster Magnet
Krux

If you think my castle  is built on sand, Well bring on the tides, You can fuck off and die. If you think my patience is ocean vast, Or river deep, You can fuck off and die.

Infector

I wish people would say what type of music each band does...

Uno

Quote from: Infector on Nov 18, 2006, 06:50 AM
I wish people would say what type of music each band does...

good idea..maybe

with the heart of gold... to have and to hold.

DefGuy

Arid  ---> alternative

"I just like the way my dick feels when i listen to certain types of sounds...sometimes i hear certain sounds and they make my dick really fucking hard"  -Chino Moreno

oldgentlovecraft

He is Legend
Alexisonfire
Acid Bath
Dispensing of False Halos
Boys Night Out
Satyricon
Beloved (us)
Haste
Planes Mistaken for Stars
Pig Destroyer
Million Dead
Burst
Gorerotted
Flesh and Blood Robot
I Got Shot in the Face
Porcupine Tree
Alesana
Shut Your Eyes and You'll Burst Into Flames
Akercocke
Enslaved
Nile
Bloodbath
Borknagar
Naglfar

I got more if you want them...

Chrisbo

Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Nov 17, 2006, 05:15 PM
Quote from: Chrisbo on Nov 17, 2006, 02:10 PM
Zaz, have you checked out Mastodon's new album 'Blood Mountain' yet? Seriously, that album is fucking amazing, a masterpiece, and I'm sure quite a few people here will agree with me on that.

Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Nov 17, 2006, 03:50 AMChrisbo's pictures always come out looking great, I wonder what camera he has...

I downloaded about 4 songs from it a while ago which are pretty good, but I really ought to just buy the damn thing and listen to it properly. By the way how much was your camera (if you don't mind me asking)?

Yes you DEFINITELY need too! Would have probably been my album of the year, if it wasnt for the fact that SNW is so damn good! Not one weak track on it at all!

Got the camera for 150 quid from Argos, it's great! 8.1 Megapixels is luvvly jubbly!

Quote from: Chino Moreno
You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: Chrisbo on Nov 18, 2006, 11:38 PM
Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Nov 17, 2006, 05:15 PM
Quote from: Chrisbo on Nov 17, 2006, 02:10 PM
Zaz, have you checked out Mastodon's new album 'Blood Mountain' yet? Seriously, that album is fucking amazing, a masterpiece, and I'm sure quite a few people here will agree with me on that.

Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Nov 17, 2006, 03:50 AMChrisbo's pictures always come out looking great, I wonder what camera he has...

I downloaded about 4 songs from it a while ago which are pretty good, but I really ought to just buy the damn thing and listen to it properly. By the way how much was your camera (if you don't mind me asking)?

Yes you DEFINITELY need too! Would have probably been my album of the year, if it wasnt for the fact that SNW is so damn good! Not one weak track on it at all!

Got the camera for 150 quid from Argos, it's great! 8.1 Megapixels is luvvly jubbly!

Ok I'll make it the next album I buy.

What's the optical zoom like?
Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2007, 10:42 AM
i wanna give juicy fruit a cat bath

if u dont get it, think about how cats bath

Chrisbo

You wont regret it! More bands you should check out - Converge, ISIS (fact you've probably already checked them out, you're more a metal lass than a hardcore chick eh?)

There's a 3x optical zoom. Havent really had the chance to test it out at a big show yet, and plus all the shows I've been to, I've always got to the front for. But I reckon it'll do a pretty damn good job!

You are as cool as you tell yourself you are...everybody just do what you do...have a good time...don't walk around being a punk...walk around and be excited...live your life

neurotic

Analena - scremo(I guess) with female vocalist...
http://myspace.com/analena

Father - some kind of metal, lol.... was at their gig last night, had a great time..:)
http://myspace.com/fatherband

..i recommend the song Cynosure
...never trust the obvious...

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: Chrisbo on Nov 18, 2006, 11:48 PM
You wont regret it! More bands you should check out - Converge, ISIS (fact you've probably already checked them out, you're more a metal lass than a hardcore chick eh?)

There's a 3x optical zoom. Havent really had the chance to test it out at a big show yet, and plus all the shows I've been to, I've always got to the front for. But I reckon it'll do a pretty damn good job!

Yeah I'm definitely more into metal, not keen on Converge. Although I do like some stuff that I've read is metalcore/deathcore... Lamb Of God, Animosity, (which scared the crap out of me first time I heard it, haha), Chimaira... Don't think I like any straight up hardcore bands though. And I'm still yet to listen to anything by ISIS, I keep meaning to but haven't got round to it yet. Album(s)?

3x optical zoom eh? Hmmm that's alright... I was hoping it'd be higher than that... ah well I'll check it out in the Argos catalogue anyway! Thanks man.

EDIT: Just had a look on the Argos website, I'm assuming it's this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5604717.htm

It says it's supplied with 2 AA batteries. Does that mean you can't charge it via mains? I guess you could get rechargeable batteries...
Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2007, 10:42 AM
i wanna give juicy fruit a cat bath

if u dont get it, think about how cats bath

Starz

Here are my recommendations:

Day One Symphony
Unjust
Jacob's Stories
The Butterfly Effect
Sunk Loto
Burst
Devil Sold His Soul
Red Sparowes
Khoma
Breed 77
Sigur Ros
Liberty 37
Heavy Weight Champ
Open Hand

Fuck, I could go on for hours... If anyone wants anymore recommendations, let me know, my CD collection is fucking fuck off huge...

Chrisbo

Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Nov 18, 2006, 11:56 PMYeah I'm definitely more into metal, not keen on Converge. Although I do like some stuff that I've read is metalcore/deathcore... Lamb Of God, Animosity, (which scared the crap out of me first time I heard it, haha), Chimaira... Don't think I like any straight up hardcore bands though. And I'm still yet to listen to anything by ISIS, I keep meaning to but haven't got round to it yet. Album(s)?

3x optical zoom eh? Hmmm that's alright... I was hoping it'd be higher than that... ah well I'll check it out in the Argos catalogue anyway! Thanks man.

It says it's supplied with 2 AA batteries. Does that mean you can't charge it via mains? I guess you could get rechargeable batteries...

Have you tried Poison The Well? They're a fucking awesome band that would go under metalcore (I think). Norma Jean, you might like them too, especially the early 'Bless The Martyr...' stuff. Bleeding Through? The more I think of ISIS and what you say you like, the more I think you wont like them, but hey if you want to check them out, 'Panopticon' and 'Oceanic' are their masterpieces! Of course the earlier you go, the heavier it gets too, but the newer stuff for me is stronger.

Yeah that's the one. Trust me, you're not going to need the optical zoom that much with this bad boy heh! Yeah, the only downpoint is that it doesnt come with a plug for rechargeable batteries, but then none of the cameras I've had up to now have had that advantage. Plus, I only really use the camera for gigs and shows, where it works best, so I'm not forking out too much for batteries (it does get dead pretty quick though heh).

DefGuy

"I just like the way my dick feels when i listen to certain types of sounds...sometimes i hear certain sounds and they make my dick really fucking hard"  -Chino Moreno

defskull

Five Pointe O is one of those bands that didn't go anywhere but really should have.  I think they got tossed aside because they were on Roadrunner Records whenever nu-metal was the shit..

I'd call them a metal-core-ish band but with melody as well. Highly recommended. They released one full length cd titled "Untitled". Check it out.

http://www.myspace.com/fivepointeold

Swords

Quote from: Chrisbo on Nov 19, 2006, 12:24 AM
Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Nov 18, 2006, 11:56 PMYeah I'm definitely more into metal, not keen on Converge. Although I do like some stuff that I've read is metalcore/deathcore... Lamb Of God, Animosity, (which scared the crap out of me first time I heard it, haha), Chimaira... Don't think I like any straight up hardcore bands though. And I'm still yet to listen to anything by ISIS, I keep meaning to but haven't got round to it yet. Album(s)?

Have you tried Poison The Well? They're a fucking awesome band that would go under metalcore (I think). Norma Jean, you might like them too, especially the early 'Bless The Martyr...' stuff. Bleeding Through? The more I think of ISIS and what you say you like, the more I think you wont like them, but hey if you want to check them out, 'Panopticon' and 'Oceanic' are their masterpieces! Of course the earlier you go, the heavier it gets too, but the newer stuff for me is stronger.

Yeah that's the one. Trust me, you're not going to need the optical zoom that much with this bad boy heh! Yeah, the only downpoint is that it doesnt come with a plug for rechargeable batteries, but then none of the cameras I've had up to now have had that advantage. Plus, I only really use the camera for gigs and shows, where it works best, so I'm not forking out too much for batteries (it does get dead pretty quick though heh).

poison the well is AMAZING.
FYIHYD

Sleep

Okay, a lot of people are oriented around metal hardcore-type stuff. I'll suggest some other stuff (you can probably find them on myspace)

Psychedelic:
-Of Montreal
-Don Caballero
-Omar Rodriguez-Lopez
-13th Floor Elevators

Jazz:
-Medeski, Martin and Wood
-Jeff Beck

Alternative Stuff:
-Red Sparrowes
-The Red Light Sting
-The Smalls