Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

david lynch

Started by Layla, Dec 07, 2006, 09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theis

i'd love to hear him talk.

people who call him pretentious honestly have no idea what they're talking about. from the interviews i've seen with him he seems like the most down to earth, kind, warm and thoughtful human being.

ahhh, what i'd give to meet him.

mss009

Seriously, man. He seems to be such a cool guy.

I wish he would share his meaning behind Erasherhead. It's very abstract, and I love the fact that people are allowed to make their own judgment about it. I would just like to hear what the real meaning was.

What's your favorite Lynch film? In my opinion, nothing can ever can come close to Mulholland Dr. Just a masterpiece of directing.   

-Mike

one weak

Twin Peaks is my favorite, followed very closely by Mulholland Dr.

bright lights, big city

damn, speaking of TP, I still need to get that Twin Peaks Gold Box set
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

theis

Quote from: mss009 on Apr 23, 2009, 02:06 PM
What's your favorite Lynch film? In my opinion, nothing can ever can come close to Mulholland Dr. Just a masterpiece of directing.  

-Mike

Mulholland Drive is my favorite movie ever, man! Kudos :)

Twin Peaks is the best show ever, except for some season 2 middle episodes, but it picks up in the end and what an ending!

top 3 Lynch flicks would be:

Mulholland Drive
Blue Velvet
Eraserhead

I love all his movies though...except Dune. I'd love to see his final cut though. such a shame what he experienced with that flick.

mss009

Yeah. I've tried so many times to get "into" Dune, but I just couldn't do it.

I consider it the only blemish in his otherwise flawless directorial history.

Any news on what he's doing next?

-Mike

theis

Found a great documentary about Lynch.

Here's part 1:
1997 | The Art of David Lynch - Part 1/9

The rest is on youtube. Enjoy!

bright lights, big city

awesome man. it's about time someone used this thread again!
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Wax And Wane

Mulholland Dr. :) Love that flick. Lost Highway is a trip also.
I will save your life..

chick de la lynch

Quote from: theis on Apr 23, 2009, 10:13 AM
i'd love to hear him talk.

people who call him pretentious honestly have no idea what they're talking about. from the interviews i've seen with him he seems like the most down to earth, kind, warm and thoughtful human being.

ahhh, what i'd give to meet him.

I saw him a few years ago at UC Irvine. He was giving a lecture on Transcendentalism. The one thing that I remember from that lecture was when he was describing the inside of human beings as "suffocating rubber clowns". Even though I'm not into Transcendentalism, I thought it was a real treat to just hear him talk.

I had a dream about Mulholland Drive last night, which was weird.

bright lights, big city

this really isn't a Lynch project, but I keep seeing commercials for this new tv series called Happy Town. looks amazing, and looks VERY similar to Twin Peaks.
DERP

decapod

Hands down, my favorite Artist/Director ever! Wild at Heart, Dune, Eraserhead, and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, are in my Top 5 movies of all-time.

theis

Quote from: decapod on Mar 31, 2010, 02:41 PM
Hands down, my favorite Artist/Director ever! Wild at Heart, Dune, Eraserhead, and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me, are in my Top 5 movies of all-time.

No love for Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway?

decapod

Quote from: theis on Mar 31, 2010, 03:19 PM
Quote from: decapod on Mar 31, 2010, 02:41 PM

No love for Mulholland Drive or Lost Highway?

Those flicks are also amazing. Anything he does is always top notch.

one weak

anyone seen his short films? I bought the DVD and it's crazy. i'm sure theis has seen it. i highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of lynch.

also, what do people think about Inland Empire? I know it's been discussed here before, but i could use some discussion to try and get me to watch it again. definitely his most "unaccessible" film. i've only seen it once, and can only say that i've just touched the tip of the proverbial lynch ice-berg of theory behind the film.

chick de la lynch

I saw half of Inland Empire and fell asleep (I was stupid enough to watch it late at night). It really freaked me out and I haven't touched it since. I've been trying to motivate myself to watching it, but it's definitely something I would have to make time for. Three hours of Lynch can be pretty intense, so I want to watch it when I can really sit down and watch it.

theis

Quote from: one weak on Apr 01, 2010, 12:57 AM
anyone seen his short films? I bought the DVD and it's crazy. i'm sure theis has seen it. i highly recommend it to anyone who's a fan of lynch.

also, what do people think about Inland Empire? I know it's been discussed here before, but i could use some discussion to try and get me to watch it again. definitely his most "unaccessible" film. i've only seen it once, and can only say that i've just touched the tip of the proverbial lynch ice-berg of theory behind the film.

I ordered his short films DVD some days ago, so it's on its way! I've seen The Grandmother and The Alphabet late at night on youtube and they both disturbed me. Great stuff.

I've watched Inland Empire two times. Without a doubt his most draining film. Lynch basically wrote the movie as they were filming it. He didn't have a complete script beforehand. Pretty crazy.

chick de la lynch

I recently watched his short films. I think The Grandmother by far is my favorite, followed by The Alphabet and Six Men Getting Sick (It took me a while before I realized it kept repeating itself. It's great on how you pick up new things when you watch it multiple times).

The Cowboy and the Frenchman was amusing to a certain degree (Reminded me a lot of Twin Peaks), but I'm more into the creepy Lynch stuff rather than the random Lynch.

chick de la lynch

Quote from: one weak on Apr 01, 2010, 12:57 AM

I FINALLY watched Inland Empire in its entirety last night. I figured it would be a good film to watch before Halloween.

I try not to analyze a David Lynch film to death when I watch one of his works for the first time, because I get frustrated. Instead, I just accept the fact that it's going to be confusing, and that usually works in my favor. There were certain points of the film where I felt like it was beginning to make sense, but then something else would happen and I'd be lost all over again. I really can't say too much about the plot at this point, because I don't even fully know what it is. All I do know is that I need to watch it again, but that won't be for a long time.  A three hour David Lynch film isn't just something you just sit down and watch. It took me two years to prepare myself for this, so I assume I'll watch it again, maybe, in another year? I'm still processing the film. However, I think my favorite part of the whole film was towards the end on Hollywood and Vine. It was very poetic, and beautifully shot.

I have to admit, I was wary of watching this film because this is the first David Lynch film that was done in digital. I'm so used to seeing his works in film, with minimal camera movement and lush colors. I think David Lynch and film just go hand in hand, but I think Lynch proved that he could work with a digital camera as a medium. It took me about an hour before I got into the swing of things, but of course, Lynch put his mark on the digital camera. Overall, I was pleased and I'm eager to see what he has in store for the future.

lukas989

With regards to Twin Peaks - I waited an eternity for that second season to come out on DVD, having owned season one for so long.  In hindsight it was a blessing really...I originally watched the show when it was on TV, whilst in my early teens, and to be honest I was pretty much forced to stop watching it so closely, once Bob revealed himself in that scene with Madeline.  It is the only TV show that has ever properly freaked me out (sure stuff has affected me before - but nothing else to the point of sitting wide awake in bed shitting myself).  Pre-that scene, I physically felt my tough guy-edness disintergrate when Bob was walking through the living room, clambering over the sofa....gawd dang that dude was a freaky looking young man.  Anyhoo, theres a couple of great books on the show - Full of Secrets, which is a pretty info heavy background to the making of the show, as well as the diary of Laura Palmer by Davids daughter, which works great in much the same way as Fire Walk With Me, with regards to answering questions posed by the show.  check em out if you havent already :)