Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

@Variable

Started by rxqueen, Dec 27, 2006, 09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vesanic

Cause in the U.S they all know the dirty bastard you are.

tarkil

Quote from: Variable on Oct 29, 2010, 07:52 AM
I can honestly say I got more pussy in Afghanistan than I did in the states, fyi

Pics and stories or you're lying...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Variable

From the American service members.  Not from Afghan women, that would be BAD juju.  Is it really that hard to believe that American women would act like total whores while being surrounded by a bunch of buff men wearing camouflage and holding guns?  I mean, I made one of them my girl friend and we are still together so obviously I don't think shes a whore, but some of them, total whores. 

Variable

Quote from: Vesanic on Oct 29, 2010, 09:35 PM
This is true.  Which is why I usually only attract women with daddy issues.  *shrugs* oh well. 

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: Variable on Nov 05, 2010, 06:38 AM
Quote from: Vesanic on Oct 29, 2010, 09:35 PM
This is true.  Which is why I usually only attract women with daddy issues.  *shrugs* oh well. 

Damn, you must be gettin laid constantly. I swear there's more of those than there aren't.

blixa

Quote from: Variable on Nov 05, 2010, 06:37 AM
Is it really that hard to believe that American women would act like total whores while being surrounded by a bunch of buff men wearing camouflage and holding guns? 

that's only because they've been programed to find that attractive. my father is always saying that my sister and i should marry someone from the army because they're good men and they are disciplined. it's embedded in our psyche. i find anyone with a gun immediately repulsive.

also you don't have to call american women whores. that's very offensive.

Variable

*Sight* Mazzy, I apologize.  I did not think that I was calling ALL American women whores when I typed that.  That was not my intent.  I love my girl friend very much.  I would never degrade her or speak in a derogatory manner about her.  I was obviously being way too casual about a subject that is still very sensitive to some people who might not understand my intent.  I actually love and adore many many women in my day to day life.  I have a lot of respect for women and in no way do I wish for my post to be read with a misogynistic pretext.  As a huge supporter of and believer in the women's civil rights and social equality movements, I probably should have taken more care to ensure that post did not come off chauvinistic in any way shape or form.  I apologize for offending you.  
I only wanted to make a simple point, or personal observation.  My personal observation is that when I am in a testosterone driven environment, such as the one I described, the women that were around me tended to be more promiscuous than they usually do.  My choice of the word "whore" was not meant to be literal at all.  I was simply speaking colloquially to ensure that my other friends reading this would quickly recognize my point, as they are used to my intent.  
I do not wish to be perceived as a misogynist and I appreciate you bringing up this point to me so that I can correct future discrepancies in my tact.
I also apologize for repulsing you.  I work in a profession in which it is very prudent to carry a gun.  I HATE death more than anyone else you have probably ever met.  I do not wish for a single other human to die a violent death ever.  I never once looked into the chest cavity of a dead Marine while clenching my gun and though "Wow, I'm so glad I look so fucking sexy right now."  I also never fired my weapon at anyone in order to defend my life and said "Gee, this is awesome, so many girls are going to want to fuck me if I can get a pic of me sitting next to the father I just killed".  I tried to be a good person in the circumstances I found myself in.  But I found myself in circumstances where people wanted to kill me and a lot of other really good people that I know.  So I proceeded to carry a gun while I tried to save the lives of wounded Afghans and Americans.  I however had no intentions of repulsing you in the process.  

blixa

it's just that these women put their lives on the line for their country irregardless of what bullshit i think this war is (the war in iraq that is). i still think they're being noble and if they want to have sex to make the situation better or to relieve whatever they need to relieve then it is in no one's place to judge or call names because we can never know what they are feeling. i say that for both the men and women. seriously, have as much safe sex as you want. it's not a natural environment that you are in. i'm not judging you. to me, you're a hero, not a misogynist. i understand the difficulty of this whole mission. i believe intervention was necessary with a country like afghanistan. i understand that you may need to shoot people and some people may die. the reality of war. don't apologise for having to hold a gun and to use one. that is your job. i'm not dissing you, trey. i just don't like the word whore or slut. i think they are far too readily used to describe women who enjoy sex, which is not a crime. enjoying sex and having a lot of sex isn't reserved for men only.

i only got offended because my friend is currently in iraq and last time i spoke to her she was having sex with a few of her fellow soldiers because it helped her through the process. she has never been promiscious, but the need to be with someone at the end of her patrol and what not gets really bad. most of the time she just likes to lay next to a man because she realises that she's made it through the day and she's alive. i have no problem with her having casual sex. that is the last of my worries.

alvarezbassist17

Do either of you see a potential problem with involving the potential for sex in the military through allowing women and homosexuals into the armed forces?  I mean I in no way take a stance either way on the issue, but I've heard the argument that you want the least amount of both sexual feelings and "love" feelings or what have you in the heat of battle to maintain loyalty to the force and its mission from reasonable (not crazy neocon) people and I wonder as to whether it holds water.  Note that I don't have any experience in the army and foreign policy is where I admittedly have my least amount of knowledge.

Mazzy, why do you think that Afghanistan was a "better" situation for foreign intervention than Iraq?  For the record, I am for neither and I don't want to go so far as to say that you're being partisan and/or inconsistent, but on its face it rather seems that way.

blixa

i do hear about women soldiers being raped and assaulted. i don't think that's cool and the men that do it usually blame the situation they are in for their behaviour. i would prefer that it was two willing partners rather than someone taking what they are not being offered. last time i spoke to my friend she was saying that the need for physicality grew stronger when she realised that she was in a dangerous environment. there's a difference between sex and love. the two are never one entity. i know she purely has sex for sex's sake. i think it's important to distinguish that before you get involved with anyone. obviously there will be fond feelings if you are having sex with someone but her work is always going to come first. i have no problem with women and homosexuals going into the army. that's a issue where you will find strong pro and con arguments for i suppose. i personally have no qualms with homosexuality so i'm probably biased. maybe other straight soldiers would have a problem with it. i don't know, someone would have to ask them, but if you can do the job then i don't understand what your sexual preference has to do with anything, but last time i checked the majority of army folk had no problem with gays and lesbians being in the army. in regards to women, i believe we all value equality and women should be allowed to participate. especially in a region like the middle east where the women there should be allowed to see other women being in a such a role. but like i said, if you put forth a strong argument for something irregardless of whether it is right or wrong, it will hold water in theory.

i think the taliban had to go and i think the major effort had to be put into making that happen. if i was living under a taliban regime, especially being a woman, then i would want someone to help me. there is no 'this place is worse - let's bomb it first' mentality here. clearly the afghani nation couldn't fight back against the taliban. with iraq, we got sidetracked. iraq was a mistake because we went to war based on a lie. due to my family's nomadic existence, i was born in iraq and my parents have lived under saddam's rule. he was an arsehole, i'll give you that, but iraq was better off with someone like him compared to the mess they're in now. my grandma lives there. she has forgotten what fresh air smells like. it's just debris and smoke. and what for? bush owes all the soldiers (dead and alive) and the people of iraq one massive apology for one of the biggest fuckups anyone has ever made. it is easier for me to understand the situation in afghanistan and why deployment there was necessary and after talking to my brother's friend who has just come back from serving there, it's going to take many more years to even fix the place halfway. it's depressing to think about. you just sit there and look over the facts and formulate an opinion. i used to be anti-war, and i still am to some degree, but i'm trying to be realistic here. if i'm being partisan or inconsistant then so be it. i still believe it was necessary to intervene in afghanistan.

alvarezbassist17

1. I was going to let "irregardless" slip the first time, but that is definitely not a word.  Makes you sound like Bush :P
2. I think you sort of missed my point about women and homosexuals in the military.  You'll never find anyone more for equal rights (and I use that term in its most genuine, Classical Liberal sense) than I, but my question was: do you think that having the potential for sexual and/or "love" feelings in the military may play a role in decaying the mindset of the military that the mission comes before any personal issues had by those who join?
3. I don't portend to know anything about the living situations in either Iraq or Afghanistan, but from my understanding, if you're going to use the oppression of the people as your basis for imperialism, I don't necessarily see a whole lot of difference between the treatment of the people in either country.  Now I agree that the Bush administration certainly wasn't honest in its portrayal of the threat posed by Saddam, but from what you're telling me, if he would've used the liberation of the people or the women of Iraq as his argument for invasion, you would have been okay with it?

blixa

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Nov 15, 2010, 04:25 AM
1. I was going to let "irregardless" slip the first time, but that is definitely not a word.  Makes you sound like Bush :P
2. I think you sort of missed my point about women and homosexuals in the military.  You'll never find anyone more for equal rights (and I use that term in its most genuine, Classical Liberal sense) than I, but my question was: do you think that having the potential for sexual and/or "love" feelings in the military may play a role in decaying the mindset of the military that the mission comes before any personal issues had by those who join?
3. I don't portend to know anything about the living situations in either Iraq or Afghanistan, but from my understanding, if you're going to use the oppression of the people as your basis for imperialism, I don't necessarily see a whole lot of difference between the treatment of the people in either country.  Now I agree that the Bush administration certainly wasn't honest in its portrayal of the threat posed by Saddam, but from what you're telling me, if he would've used the liberation of the people or the women of Iraq as his argument for invasion, you would have been okay with it?

according to webster it is a word arrogantly used by people like me hahaha at least i know how to pronounce nuclear.

the answer to that question depends on who you ask and i think it should be something determined primarily by the people who are fighting said wars because they are in the thick of it all. i kind of think (lol, just go along with this) that it shouldn't happen, but it will. it's human nature i suppose. plus if you push the whole 'don't have sexual relations' and 'don't fall in love', it might just push people to do that. maybe trey can answer that question more eloquently. i would think it would liven up the soldiers a bit more, give them more of a reason to survive. i don't know if that makes any sense. all i know is that my mate is having a lot of casual sex and it's helping her deal with the reality at hand. obviously the army doesn't enforce the concept of love and sexual feelings, but seriously, who wouldn't fuck one of those bomb disposal unit guys? come on!

to answer your question, you are asking me to do something i'm not comfortable doing and that is, i can't compare iraq and afghanistan to each other. they are/were nothing alike. i had a pretty nice time living there minus the wars and that time i got hit by a car the day before christmas. if there was a legitimate reason that everyone agreed upon as being sound enough to go to war in iraq then i would reconsider my position, but there wasn't a legitimate reason and the reason given was a lie. that is why i cannot agree with the war in iraq. the taliban were an imminent threat. i'm pretty sure that america and everyone else didn't invade to liberate a bunch of women. it's well documented that al-qaeda was using afghan territory as base and that the taliban regime was supporting them. if the taliban had been operating in iraq then, yes, that would have been a legitimate reason but iraq had no link to al-qaeda. i was confused as to why and how this whole war started. it kind of felt like we were going backwards. even though i only lived in iraq til the age of 6-7, i never felt oppressed even though i was because i belonged to a minority race that had 0% rights. it never occured to me. whereas girls of my age did feel it in afghanistan. they realised that once they turned 8 they will no longer be able to go to school and once they developed as women they will be made to wear a burqa against their will. the taliban enforced those things, and i have to take that personally as a woman. it took me a long time to realise that there are levels of oppression. there's oppression you are able to live with because things could be worse and then there's the oppression where everything has gone to shit and things just couldn't be worse.

when you say that you don't see the difference between the treatment of the people in both countries, that is something i have to disagree with. i don't want to be like, 'oh, look at me. i know what i'm saying. i've lived in iraq blah blah blah', and i don't know how i can say it to try to make you understand and i can't say it to try to make you understand, but there is a difference. it would be an injustice to say that iraqi's have suffered as much as afghani's have under the taliban. i'm not discrediting iraqi people's suffering, i'm just saying that there is a different degree to which the two nations have suffered because they've been oppressed on different levels. saddam was obsessed with arabisation, not with enforcing sharia law in the sickest sense. there is a difference.

Variable

You two opened up so many subjects that I seriously don't even know how to respond. 

alvarezbassist17

Oh, you sally.

P.S. lol@ your conversation about being up too late on FB.  Pretty jealous because I had to wake my ass up for school/work before you guys were done bitching :P

devilinside

Hay Fran! Time for a takeover?

I'll bbl for that,gotta go kick some ass real quick.

Variable

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Dec 13, 2010, 02:48 PM
Oh, you sally.

P.S. lol@ your conversation about being up too late on FB.  Pretty jealous because I had to wake my ass up for school/work before you guys were done bitching :P
I thought about breaking it down and responding one sentence at a time.  But then I got drunk instead. 

And yeah be jealous of our awesome lives on facebook.  I would be mad if I knew someone was that much cooler than me too. 

Variable

Quote from: devilinside on Dec 14, 2010, 10:32 PM
Hay Fran! Time for a takeover?

I'll bbl for that,gotta go kick some ass real quick.
OH yeah, I forgot that was supposed to be yesterday.  I guess I'm a day rate and a dorrar short.
I had a DR.s appt.  if that counts as an excuse in the e-world too. 

White Pwny

There was supposed to be a takeover?!   And I missed it too?!  WTF?
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

Variable

Dude, you were part of the conversation. 

And not a takeover, a comeback.  A revival if you will

devilinside

Tell me a time and I'll try and be here!!