Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

@Variable

Started by rxqueen, Dec 27, 2006, 09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Variable

yeah, I'm all talk apparently

Variable

So for the first time ever, I left the poker room tonight without losing any money.  I didn't win any, I just broke even.  But I'm for sure getting better.  I mean I have only played 4 times so its not like I have this HUGE losing streak.  But just like blackjack and craps and everything else I like to play, I figure you have to pay to learn how to play and figure the game out.  So I have just been taking the loses in poker while trying to get better.  And I'm pretty happy that I think I have upped my game a bit.  World Series of Poker look out!

Variable

Does this sentence make any sense? 

"The passing of legislation to make immoral acts (by definition of the church) federally illegal, is the true last ditch effort of the church to remain relevant in a world where their moral teachings have proven to be anything but socially relevant and philosophically correct by a free thinking, educated, and intelligent society.  "

I just wrote it, but I'm drunk and can't tell if I'm speaking correctly.  Corey, I'm mainly looking at you.  Although anybody's imput is greatly appreciated. 

alvarezbassist17

The sentence makes sense grammatically, but I'm intrigued about what you were referring to.  I've always kind of had thoughts about the church in the back of my mind, mostly because of the soft spot in my heart for private charity and private moral institutions (for lack of a better term), but have noticed a trend in recent years.  At my church (I'm a Lutheran in a fairly wealthy area), they're all fucking lefties that talk about going green and all that shit and I think that it's a burgeoning class, but there's also the hillbilly Republican class of churchies that I think you're referring to, all of the ones who base their entire political stance on abortion and all that.  I don't really know where I'm going with this, but I have a hard time standing up for today's church for just those reasons, and I also wonder what led the church to these frames of mind because I don't really think they were always that way.  I tend to think it has something to do with tax-exempt status (or some other government-granted benefit) inhibiting competition, but don't really know how to draw the connection between tax exemption and more competition, or between competition and better churches if that makes any sense.  I also wonder what is making it so that they do try to appeal to these lowest common denominators (greenies and rednecks), if it's something inherent in our society and the faith market, or if there's some artificial incentive in place that would cause this to occur.  Thoughts?

In the sense of the church trying to make federal laws to remain relevant, I can see some truth to that, although it seems more like a trend in our overall society as opposed to just the church.  Fuckin everybody wants to lobby the feds for a new law or regulation rather than put out a product that people actually want, and I can't really draw a line between what churches produce for people and every other product on the market.

Variable

Yeah I'm going to have to get back to you when I have more time.  I forgot I even posted that.  Apparently I got really drunk and terrorized the internets one night.  Uber lame.  I don't like that sentence though.  It doesn't really get my point across.

I pretty much just wanted to say that the reason the church rallies against laws legalizing gay marriage, abortion, drugs,prostitution etc etc, is because they have failed as an organization.  If they were as they were hundreds of years ago, they would be the leaders of our society.  They would be the leaders and the authority on morals and people would just listen to them.  They wouldn't have to make their moral beliefs into laws because they would still be relevant in our society and people would still be buying into their product.  

But they aren't.  People have pretty much figured out that the church is largely full of shit. And I would even say that a large majority of people that go only go out of tradition.  But deep down inside they know its bull shit.  Which is why they continue to sin even though they go to Church on Sunday morning.  

Pretty much I don't like it that people think it's OK to force their moral beliefs on other people  If the Muslims rallied together and make pork illegal in the US everyone would be furious.  But oh, make gay marriage illegal and it's God's work.  Especially when the laws that they are creating are hurting our society ( like the war on drugs ) and you provide people with evidence that it is really hurting our society and individual people, but they still justify keeping it illegal because " I don't want to send the message that smoking pot is OK, because the bible says its not.  How bout fuck you and your message.  You would rather create an illegal industry where people are murdered and literally sold into slavery to grow pot for other people ( yes, this actually happens.  I know from a first hand experience ) You think its worse for someone to get a little high than to send a pretty all around good and innocent 19 year old kid to prison for selling some pot.  Exposing him to gangs and violence that he will more than likely have to join in on in order to survive?  Introducing him to a system to which he will probably fall into a perpetual spiral and never escape from?  When all he did is the same exact thing that the guy at the 7 11 did when he sold me a beer?  No, I don't buy that at all.  And its bull shit. Especially in a free society and a society where we supposedly have separation of church and state.  

anyways, I want my sentence to say something like that.  

Variable

Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Jan 03, 2011, 12:43 AM
I also wonder what is making it so that they do try to appeal to these lowest common denominators (greenies and rednecks), if it's something inherent in our society and the faith market, or if there's some artificial incentive in place that would cause this to occur.  Thoughts?
Well the way I see it, there are two large groups of people who are attracted to the church ( beyond just going because of family tradition )
1. People who are ignorant/uneducated.  Not stupid, just ignorant to information.  The kind of people who pretty much say "I don't know how things work, therefore god exist."
2.  People who have hit some kind of bottom and seek redemption.  In the 1900s the church changed its message from fire and brimstone if you sin to love through Jesus Christ.  So broken people who either need love or need to feel redeemed for something that is broken in their life are very attracted to the Church.  Many of them being very emotionally unstable. 
And of course the Church tells people that the urges and instincts that are ingrained in our DNA are sins.  They do this because they know for a fact we will do it, because its only natural to us.  Then they convince you that GOD says your natural instincts are sin, and this guarantees revenue.  It keeps people coming.  It keeps people thinking that they need redemption for their actions. 

So as you have observed, Churches really do attract some of the "lowest common denominators" in our society because it offers a product that these kinds of people (either ignorant or broken) need in order to be happy.  Where as it's a lot more rare for highly educated and happy people to attend church.  Almost the entire scientific community dismiss the idea of God.  At least as we define it in most modern religions.  It goes beyond scientist too though.  Lawyers ( people who are not only highly educated but also had to take a test that scores their ability to think logically and comprehend what they are actually reading and hearing ) also tend to be Atheist.  Almost all of the Doctors that I have worked with are Athiest.  I know they are technically scientist, but they are obviously very different than physicist.  Also to my surprise, I have met more people in the military who are Atheist or Agnostic than I thought I would (sometimes due to hanging out with me too much)  But I have noticed a huge trend of people who were Christians when they joined the military, then they went out and saw a lot of the world and observed a lot of different societies.  Then they go to war and experience some of the best and worst that life has to offer, and it all goes against everything they were taught in sunday school, and their faith gets rocked.  So most of then still say that they believe in God, mainly  because they just can't let the fairy tale go because they and their families have bought into it for generations.  But they really don't believe in modern Christianity and they are very unsure about the existence of god and really just want God to be real so bad that they continue to hold on to the idea even after they know its bull shit.
my point is that the people who are most educated and who experience some of the most culture and unique life events, tend to be Atheist or Agnostics.  People can draw the conclusions at to why this is true for themselves.  My Christian friends say that people like me are "too smart for god" and that it's sad.  Too smart for god, what does that even mean?  Doesn't that mean that they are dumb enough to believe in god and they just admitted that through their own words?

blixa

you two should get married.

Variable

Well we can't.  The religious right has forced their religious beliefs on us and made gay marriage illegal in the U.S.

I'm pretty sure Jesus wasn't about discrimination and prejudice against certain groups of people. But hey, what do I know?

And I didn't say that EVERYONE who goes to church falls into that category.  My entire family is uber Christian as well as a lot of my friends.  And I know that some very educated and cultured people continue to go to church too.  I was just speaking of the Majority. 

blixa

Quote from: Variable on Jan 09, 2011, 06:54 PM

I'm pretty sure Jesus wasn't about discrimination and prejudice against certain groups of people. But hey, what do I know?

you know more than those bigoted arseholes who don't seem to grasp the basic principles of what christ stood for.

Variable

I try to explain that to people.  I live with a married couple.  and SHE is on this born again kick.  Shes so caught up in the fundamentals of it all.  She judges people a lot and points the finger at everyone for everything and she just seems so miserable.  I was trying to explain to her that Jesus was not about this at all.  That him and the pharisees constantly got into it because he spoke out against their fundamentalism.  I tried explaining to her that her walk with Jesus should be about the spiritual aspect, not the fundamental aspect.  But she doesn't seem to get it, like so many others. 

blixa

that's the problem with fundamentalists. you can talk to them all you want but you're always going to be wrong in their eyes. i personally can't stand overtly religious people. i grew up in a commune for 13 months. these people were evangelical christians. my parents weren't apart of it but we all attended the church because it was the closest one to where we were living, which was in the middle of all of them so we were regarded as "members". some of them were crazy. also the young boys in the community were sex crazed. whenever i went outside of the church i used to get chased by them. when they caught you, and there would be around 6-7 of them, they would pin you down and touch you in private places and try to kiss you. i got chased a lot but was only caught once by them.

devilinside

Ok now I'm here and you're not...what the deuce!?!?

alvarezbassist17

Hey sweetheart, just wanted to let you know my rash went away, thanks for the advice! :)

To the rest of y'all:  I will return to posting more frequently soon, I just moved into my own baller-ass apartment and am too busy getting laid, you understand.

bright lights, big city

ballllllin dude
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Variable

So yeah not that most of you care; but I have been absent for a little while.  Long story short; I had shoulder surgery on the 1st.  I really wasn't feeling very well for a while before that ( not sleeping much because of the pain, and pain meds were not making me feel well ) plus I started school.  My labrum was torn about 75% since December 08.  And my rotator cuff was/is torn 30%.  Along with all the arthritis, bursitis, and all that itis shit that happens with an injury neglected for so long.  So they repaired the Labrum, and explored the rotator cuff to determine if they want to operate on it at a later date.  I have pretty much been sleeping ever since.  I sucked it up for the first 3 days because my GF was in town.  Then I had to just face reality and try to sleep it off.  I'm still attempting to accomplish that.  

I'm starting to feel a bit better though.  So ill try to be around more.  Thats about the best update I can think of right now.
Quote from: devilinside on Feb 01, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hey dude.  I meant to hit you up on Facebook after your question about my surgery but kind of fell asleep and got behind :\ (yeah seriously thats the best excuse I could muster up)

But what up?  Hows life going?  Everything going well in the photo business?  I have seen your post on FB.  Are you feeling better than you were last week or whenever?  Sounded like you had a pretty nasty sinus infection.  Thanks for consistently posting NIN videos that I have never even heard of BTW.  Provided some good time killing.
Quote from: alvarezbassist17 on Feb 09, 2011, 03:36 PM
Hey sweetheart, just wanted to let you know my rash went away, thanks for the advice! :)

To the rest of y'all:  I will return to posting more frequently soon, I just moved into my own baller-ass apartment and am too busy getting laid, you understand.
Glad that advice worked out.  If theres one thing I'm good at; It's cleaning up rashes on my men.  How are you dude?  It's been a min.

Baller ass apartment hu?  I'm 24 and sleep on a futon in my best friends guest room.  How does that make you feel?  All the money I'm saving that you're not.  And I totally get laid every time I take 4 times the prescribed dose of Ambien and hallucinate hot chicks.  So fuck off.  People shake my hand on Veterans day as long as I exploit myself by getting a really short hair cut, wear camouflage, and pretend like I enjoyed partaking in such a violent 21 months of my life.  So suck that! ( I don't know if I took that one in a really wrong direction or not?  I'm just kind of jealous and had to reach )

Anyways I'm glad to hear you're doing good.  Did you land a new job after graduating or something?  I'm sorry but I really kind of forget where you were with that whole process.  Please update.  
Quote from: blixa on Jan 11, 2011, 12:51 PM
that's the problem with fundamentalists. you can talk to them all you want but you're always going to be wrong in their eyes. i personally can't stand overtly religious people. i grew up in a commune for 13 months. these people were evangelical christians. my parents weren't apart of it but we all attended the church because it was the closest one to where we were living, which was in the middle of all of them so we were regarded as "members". some of them were crazy. also the young boys in the community were sex crazed. whenever i went outside of the church i used to get chased by them. when they caught you, and there would be around 6-7 of them, they would pin you down and touch you in private places and try to kiss you. i got chased a lot but was only caught once by them.
Sot this post is actually more disturbing than it is arousing.  Seriously, thats really not cool.  Please tell me this is not an accepted social norm in your country?  Not like America has any morals.  I'm just saying at least I was taught not to chase girls, hold them down, and fondle them wherever I please; unless they are drunk.  You know what I'm saying?

Sorry, I'm ornery tonight.  

Anyways hope you are well.  I have encountered multiple subjects in real life conversation that made me think of you because I thought about how much you would disapprove of my view point.  Also a couple times when I thought you would strongly agree ( I had to get pretty heated about some womens rights one time.  I had to, my girl friend was there ) I also found a couple likable characteristics in your wiki leaks man.  So I look forward to discussing current events here again soon.  Take care

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: Variable on Feb 18, 2011, 09:40 AM

To the rest of y'all:  I will return to posting more frequently soon, I just moved into my own baller-ass apartment and am too busy getting laid, you understand.
Glad that advice worked out.  If theres one thing I'm good at; It's cleaning up rashes on my men.  How are you dude?  It's been a min.

Baller ass apartment hu?  I'm 24 and sleep on a futon in my best friends guest room.  How does that make you feel?  All the money I'm saving that you're not.  And I totally get laid every time I take 4 times the prescribed dose of Ambien and hallucinate hot chicks.  So fuck off.  People shake my hand on Veterans day as long as I exploit myself by getting a really short hair cut, wear camouflage, and pretend like I enjoyed partaking in such a violent 21 months of my life.  So suck that! ( I don't know if I took that one in a really wrong direction or not?  I'm just kind of jealous and had to reach )

Anyways I'm glad to hear you're doing good.  Did you land a new job after graduating or something?  I'm sorry but I really kind of forget where you were with that whole process.  Please update. 

I actually still haven't graduated.  I had to take 20 credits in order to graduate by last semester and got the shittiest fuckin professor for the hardest class I had to take.  So I had to drop it and now I'm taking it solo, but I'm working at my parents' neighbor's certified fastener distribution company and making decent enough money to pay rent and still have a decent social life.  It's not an accounting job yet, but that'll come soon enough; I just had to get the mother fuck out of my parents' house, it was killing me inside.  And this is about half the distance from my current job/Minneapolis so that rulz, I've got a roommate who's a buddy of several years and it's been way chill so far.  It's a gigantic place, around 1100 square feet for 2 people; I'll put up pics soon, I just wanted to do it with our final arrangement in the living room and we still need a futon to complete the setup.  I've just been retarded busy working, studying and picking up chicks to bring back here because I don't have a prescription to Ambien :\

That's good news that you finally got that surgery, how long did they say the rehab should take?  Did you figure out what direction you're gonna go in in terms of all that career business?  I need dem updates as well, but for now it's back to writing out this income statement, wahoo!

blixa

So yeah not that most of you care; but I have been absent for a little while.  Long story short; I had shoulder surgery on the 1st.  I really wasn't feeling very well for a while before that ( not sleeping much because of the pain, and pain meds were not making me feel well ) plus I started school.  My labrum was torn about 75% since December 08.  And my rotator cuff was/is torn 30%.  Along with all the arthritis, bursitis, and all that itis shit that happens with an injury neglected for so long.  So they repaired the Labrum, and explored the rotator cuff to determine if they want to operate on it at a later date.  I have pretty much been sleeping ever since.  I sucked it up for the first 3 days because my GF was in town.  Then I had to just face reality and try to sleep it off.  I'm still attempting to accomplish that. 

I'm starting to feel a bit better though.  So ill try to be around more.  Thats about the best update I can think of right now.
Hey dude.  I meant to hit you up on Facebook after your question about my surgery but kind of fell asleep and got behind :\ (yeah seriously thats the best excuse I could muster up)

But what up?  Hows life going?  Everything going well in the photo business?  I have seen your post on FB.  Are you feeling better than you were last week or whenever?  Sounded like you had a pretty nasty sinus infection.  Thanks for consistently posting NIN videos that I have never even heard of BTW.  Provided some good time killing.

Glad that advice worked out.  If theres one thing I'm good at; It's cleaning up rashes on my men.  How are you dude?  It's been a min.

Baller ass apartment hu?  I'm 24 and sleep on a futon in my best friends guest room.  How does that make you feel?  All the money I'm saving that you're not.  And I totally get laid every time I take 4 times the prescribed dose of Ambien and hallucinate hot chicks.  So fuck off.  People shake my hand on Veterans day as long as I exploit myself by getting a really short hair cut, wear camouflage, and pretend like I enjoyed partaking in such a violent 21 months of my life.  So suck that! ( I don't know if I took that one in a really wrong direction or not?  I'm just kind of jealous and had to reach )

Anyways I'm glad to hear you're doing good.  Did you land a new job after graduating or something?  I'm sorry but I really kind of forget where you were with that whole process.  Please update. 
Sot this post is actually more disturbing than it is arousing.  Seriously, thats really not cool.  Please tell me this is not an accepted social norm in your country?  Not like America has any morals.  I'm just saying at least I was taught not to chase girls, hold them down, and fondle them wherever I please; unless they are drunk.  You know what I'm saying?

Anyways hope you are well.  I have encountered multiple subjects in real life conversation that made me think of you because I thought about how much you would disapprove of my view point.  Also a couple times when I thought you would strongly agree ( I had to get pretty heated about some womens rights one time.  I had to, my girl friend was there ) I also found a couple likable characteristics in your wiki leaks man.  So I look forward to discussing current events here again soon.  Take care

it was a church run by a group of english people in jordan that my parents were going to at the time. i kind of see the whole thing as raging hormones. the boys were cute and i was a bit of a flirt at that age. it doesn't make the whole thing any more unsettling or comfortable though. it kind of led to my problem now as an adult and the fact that i don't like to be touched. i don't know if it has anything to do with what happened then. i guess i've never questioned the beginnings of why i freak out even when my mother want's to hug me. it's just a problem that i need to address because it's stopped me from getting into proper relationships.

BUT BUT BUT WHAT LIKABLE CHARACTERISTICS? i just wanted you to understand how hot he is. he has it going on!

Variable

Quote from: blixa on Feb 23, 2011, 03:10 PM
So yeah not that most of you care; but I have been absent for a little while.  Long story short; I had shoulder surgery on the 1st.  I really wasn't feeling very well for a while before that ( not sleeping much because of the pain, and pain meds were not making me feel well ) plus I started school.  My labrum was torn about 75% since December 08.  And my rotator cuff was/is torn 30%.  Along with all the arthritis, bursitis, and all that itis shit that happens with an injury neglected for so long.  So they repaired the Labrum, and explored the rotator cuff to determine if they want to operate on it at a later date.  I have pretty much been sleeping ever since.  I sucked it up for the first 3 days because my GF was in town.  Then I had to just face reality and try to sleep it off.  I'm still attempting to accomplish that. 

I'm starting to feel a bit better though.  So ill try to be around more.  Thats about the best update I can think of right now.
Hey dude.  I meant to hit you up on Facebook after your question about my surgery but kind of fell asleep and got behind :\ (yeah seriously thats the best excuse I could muster up)

But what up?  Hows life going?  Everything going well in the photo business?  I have seen your post on FB.  Are you feeling better than you were last week or whenever?  Sounded like you had a pretty nasty sinus infection.  Thanks for consistently posting NIN videos that I have never even heard of BTW.  Provided some good time killing.

Sot this post is actually more disturbing than it is arousing.  Seriously, thats really not cool.  Please tell me this is not an accepted social norm in your country?  Not like America has any morals.  I'm just saying at least I was taught not to chase girls, hold them down, and fondle them wherever I please; unless they are drunk.  You know what I'm saying?

Anyways hope you are well.  I have encountered multiple subjects in real life conversation that made me think of you because I thought about how much you would disapprove of my view point.  Also a couple times when I thought you would strongly agree ( I had to get pretty heated about some womens rights one time.  I had to, my girl friend was there ) I also found a couple likable characteristics in your wiki leaks man.  So I look forward to discussing current events here again soon.  Take care

it was a church run by a group of english people in jordan that my parents were going to at the time. i kind of see the whole thing as raging hormones. the boys were cute and i was a bit of a flirt at that age. it doesn't make the whole thing any more unsettling or comfortable though. it kind of led to my problem now as an adult and the fact that i don't like to be touched. i don't know if it has anything to do with what happened then. i guess i've never questioned the beginnings of why i freak out even when my mother want's to hug me. it's just a problem that i need to address because it's stopped me from getting into proper relationships.

BUT BUT BUT WHAT LIKABLE CHARACTERISTICS? i just wanted you to understand how hot he is. he has it going on!
I know a girl who was raped by a black guy when she was young.  Then she married a Black dude and has had a really hard time having sex with him because it reminds her of his rape.  She didn't mind cheating on him with a white dude and fucking this dude like crazy while she was deployed to Kuwait.  But now that she's back, she is having a problem having sex with her husband again. 
He is a really awesome guy too.  I feel so bad for him.  And if you are skeptical about his character, think about it, he is still with her.

Anyways, thought you might find that interesting after your story.  I have absolutely no good advise for you though.  Or any of my own experiences to help.  Sorry, I just felt like making fun of something totally inappropriate. 

He really isn't all that hot though.  I mean I totally see the qualities in him that you are attracted to.  But he's not my type at all.  I'm a Brad Pitt type; remember?

blixa

i find brad pitt repulsive, remember? hahaha

with assange it's his hair, his stature, his voice, his beady eyes, the fact that he's a total creep/jerk, but is insanely intelligent. i could literally go on and on. I DON'T KNOW. I THINK ABOUT FUCKING HIM ALL THE TIME, TREY.

Variable

The fact that he's old enough to be your dad......

Tell you what.  Why don't I stop thinking about fucking Brad Pitt you stop thinking about fucking Julian Assange, and we just start thinking about fucking each other instead.