Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Death/Black/"Extreme" Metal

Started by oldgentlovecraft, Jan 02, 2007, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

Just thought I'd start a thread for some heavy metal.  I searched the forums but couldn't find anything so here it is.  Redirect me if it's been done before but so far all I can find is the hardcore and emo threads.  I'll check back in a bit to see if anyone says anything.

oldgentlovecraft

I'll get the ball rolling.  I've been listening to alot of Enslaved and Borknagar lately.  I'm not much for the old black metal bands (the ones that burned down churches) but I love progressive black.  The new Borknagar album has all clean vocals and is an experimental folk album, which is only a piece of what they normally do on their albums.  I fucking love it.  Consider it to be their Damnation (an Opeth reference for those who don't get it).  If anyone has any other recommendations along these lines, let me know.  As far as death metal goes I like the traditional feel of Deicide and Bloodbath most of all.  The new Deicide album is phenomenal.  I'm also digging some of the funeral doom bands like Ahab, Esoteric, and Catacombs, although it's like listening to a horror movie score with growled lyrics.  Oh well, just dropping a few thoughts to see if anyone else will follow.  I hope I'm not the only extreme metal fan on here.  Hell, someone's gotta like this because most of the board is from overseas and half of this shit originated in Europe. 

Azwethinkweiz

you should rename the topic so it covers 'heavy metal' in general. just an idea. since the sub-genres you've mentioned are pretty extreme.

what about just called it 'the heavy metal thread' or something like that ?

anyways, i watched the documentary "Metal: A headbanger's Journey" yesterday and it was really interesting. you would definitely dig it, man.
it covers all the different sub-genres in heavy metal.
those norwegian black metal bands are pretty fucked up !

i'm not so much a fan of the really 'extreme' metal, but i do dig alot heavy metal bands.

metallica(kill em all, ride the lightening, and justice, master, black album...the rest sucks)
pantera
black sabbath
sepultura
dio
judas priest
some slayer

Juicy Fruit

Great idea. Mostly I listen to melodic death (thanks to 4th Eye - Opeth, At The Gates, Arch Enemy, In Flames etc.), but I like some straight death aswell (Necrophagist, Decapitated, Nile, Carcass)... As far as doom goes, the only band I know is Candlemass (thanks again 4th Eye) who are great.

I draw the line at black metal, although I have heard some Emperor which I thought was alright. Nothing particularly special though.
Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2007, 10:42 AM
i wanna give juicy fruit a cat bath

if u dont get it, think about how cats bath

oldgentlovecraft

I guess that's not too bad an idea.  How do I go about remaining the thread then?  I think you're right, it might attract more people if it's a bit broader. 

Juicy Fruit

Personally, I say we keep it extreme.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Jan 03, 2007, 04:31 AM
Personally, I say we keep it extreme.

I usually dabble more in the extreme genre anyway, and the way these threads usually work we'll be running off on so many tangents it won't make a difference.  Extreme it is! 

4th Eye

Yah, I like it heavy. :)

Though I too prefer the melo-death section, I'm also down with the other sub-genres. Was just listening to Emperor on the way to work.

Haven't listened to Borknagar but you mentioned Enslaved. Isn't "Ruun" kinda damnation-ish album of theirs? I have it but haven't really had time to listen to it.

I don't know if you're familiar with Agalloch already but they're usually compared to Opeth but are more folk-like and atmospheric with kinda black metal vocals. Also, I would recommend Swallow The Sun. A doom/death metal band similar to Opeth. Both are better than Opeth, imo.

Azwethinkweiz

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 03, 2007, 03:27 AM
I guess that's not too bad an idea.  How do I go about remaining the thread then?  I think you're right, it might attract more people if it's a bit broader. 

just edit your first post. then you can edit the headline :)

oldgentlovecraft

I own all of the Agalloch albums.  They are much more atmospheric than Opeth, but I still think Opeth's compositions are bit stronger.  I haven't heard Swallow the Sun and am definitely going to check them out.  How about Novembers Doom or My Dying Bride? 

Juicy Fruit

I downloaded a couple of Agalloch songs a while ago but haven't really listened to them properly yet. If you're comparing them to Opeth then I'm sure they must be an awesome band.

I saw Opeth live back in November and they were brilliant - plus Mikael is a bloody funny guy, and really humble too. I have a lot of respect for them not just musically but as people too. That reminds me I still need to get Necrophagist tickets, they're touring the UK in March... Bloody good band.

Anyone listened to Animosity? What genre do they come under? I read somewhere it was 'deathcore'... They're pretty good imo.

Gaz

Great thread

I'm into a veriety of heavy metal / death metal / tech metal. To name some, Meshuggah, At The Gates, Arsis, Beneath The Massacre, Ion Dissonance, [old] In Flames, Malevolent Creation, Misery Index, Necrophagist, Neuraxis, Skinless, Vehemence. I also love Pantera, [old] Machine Head, Slayer, Sepultura and [old] Metallica.

Zaz, Animosity are awesome I've been into them for a while now, i've heard the term 'deathcore' used to label a lot of bands, (Animostiy, All Shall Perish, Job for a Cowboy etc;) but I just class them as death metal, I know someone will probably correct me for whatever reason, but I just like to keep it simple when describing them to someone.

oldgentlovecraft

I love to be able to trace where everything has come from.  I once did a project in college with a friend on the roots of rock n roll traced all the way back to African call and response chants.  It was amazing.  So many people get mad with categorizing music but I love it.  Knowledge is power. 

4th Eye, just downloaded all 3 Swallow the Sun albums and a single.  Fucking amazing.  Better than Opeth...well, not sure about that, but pretty damn close to being right up there with them.  Daylight Dies is another good band in the same vein as Opeth, Novembers Doom, My Dying Bride, Agalloch, etc.  Who likes the experimental drone doom, like Khanate?

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: Ghost of a Bullet on Jan 03, 2007, 09:19 PMZaz, Animosity are awesome I've been into them for a while now, i've heard the term 'deathcore' used to label a lot of bands, (Animostiy, All Shall Perish, Job for a Cowboy etc;) but I just class them as death metal, I know someone will probably correct me for whatever reason, but I just like to keep it simple when describing them to someone.

Haha yeah I thought they were terrible at first, scared the crap out of me... and then I gave them more of a chance and realised they're damn good.

Why are Machine Head classed under metalcore in that chart? I thought they were just typical heavy metal... maybe even thrash... but not metalcore...

4th Eye

Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Jan 03, 2007, 07:47 PM
I downloaded a couple of Agalloch songs a while ago but haven't really listened to them properly yet. If you're comparing them to Opeth then I'm sure they must be an awesome band.

I saw Opeth live back in November and they were brilliant - plus Mikael is a bloody funny guy, and really humble too. I have a lot of respect for them not just musically but as people too.

Get whole albums by Agalloch. That's how they are meant to be listened. Like journeys through forests or something...

I saw Opeth twice last summer but I don't know if it's the festival atmosphere cuz I thought they were pretty boring. Might be better in a gloomy, dark, inside venue.

Oldgent, glad you like StS. Looking forward to their new album in february.

yoda on mars

oldgentlovecraft

Which Behemoth have you listened to?  I have the complete collection and some of their older black metal outshines the newer blackened death stuff.  Definitely an intense band.  About Swallow the Sun, what's the title of their new album?  I think Machine Head got dumped in the metalcore category with The Burning Red and Supercharger before they went back to their roots with The Ashes of the Empire.  I'd listen to them if they made pop music so fuck the critics.

4th Eye

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 04, 2007, 02:28 PM
About Swallow the Sun, what's the title of their new album?
"Hope" or something like that. It's out february 7th, at least here in Finland.

I have Behemoth's "Zos Kia Cultus" and I'm digging it. "Demigod" is good too from what I remember but I'm not familiar with their earlier production.

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: 4th Eye on Jan 04, 2007, 09:06 AM
Quote from: Juicy Fruit on Jan 03, 2007, 07:47 PM

I saw Opeth live back in November and they were brilliant - plus Mikael is a bloody funny guy, and really humble too. I have a lot of respect for them not just musically but as people too.

Get whole albums by Agalloch. That's how they are meant to be listened. Like journeys through forests or something...

I saw Opeth twice last summer but I don't know if it's the festival atmosphere cuz I thought they were pretty boring. Might be better in a gloomy, dark, inside venue.

Opeth were amazing, but to me it was the fans who were boring, they just stood there the whole time, no headbanging, no jumping, no fists in the air... no nothing, even at the heavier points in the songs. Apparently that's what doom metal fans are like... even though Opeth aren't doom metal...