Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Death/Black/"Extreme" Metal

Started by oldgentlovecraft, Jan 02, 2007, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

I've already downloaded and listened to all of Hope, that's why I asked.  It's all over the internet and was the first album I could find.  I'll drop a link if you want, unless you're going to buy it.  I think people confuse some of the progressive death with doom.  There are definitely doom metal bands that aren't traditional but Opeth is not a doom band.  Distortion and downtuning aren't an Opeth staple.  Behemoth have a shit ton of music out, a lot of it being the pre-blackened death sound they have now.  They're a kickass band either way.  Check out Sventieth or Grom to see their roots.

Azwethinkweiz

who else is a fan of Ozzy's solo carreer? i think he's made some excellent albums.

and yeah, opeth kicks ***.

oldgentlovecraft

Ozzy had some classics on his own so a resounding "hell yeah" from me.  Opeth are untouchable, whether you love them or hate them. 

Gaz

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 04, 2007, 02:28 PM
I think Machine Head got dumped in the metalcore category with The Burning Red and Supercharger before they went back to their roots with The Ashes of the Empire.  I'd listen to them if they made pop music so fuck the critics.

I wouldn't call the Burning Red & Supercharger metalcore, Machine Head got sucked into the nu metal craze but I'm glad they have managed to climb out of it [after kicking out that Ahrue guy] I'm glad they got back to their metal ways with "Through the ashes..." and the new album should be even better.

Oh, and i've made this thread a sticky to stop it from dropping down the board.

Azwethinkweiz

i think 'through the ashes' is one of the best metal album (along with mastodon's blood mountain) to come out in a looong time.

new album is gonna rock.

oldgentlovecraft

I agree with the numetal label on those two, but otherwise I have no idea how they could be considered metalcore.  It must have been mislabeled.  And thanks for the sticky topic!

Azwethinkweiz

on a side note, i never understood what was so "amazing" about slayer. all their songs sound pretty much alike. most of their intros are really great, but as soon the double bass drumming kicks in it just gets too repedetive.
dont get me wrong, i like double bass drumming but not all the fucking way through a song. the solos doesnt do anything for me either.

a band like metallica are just so much better (back in the days), imo.
the flawless, kickass solos... the lyrics are much stronger, hetfield's a far more superior vocalist and there's just alot more diversity in their songs.

oldgentlovecraft

Finally, someone else who doesn't like Slayer!  They are an extremely formulaic band.  I also can't stand the fact that Tom is a devout Catholic but all of his lyrics are anti-religion.  Hypocrite. 

yoda on mars

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 04, 2007, 02:28 PM
Which Behemoth have you listened to?  I have the complete collection and some of their older black metal outshines the newer blackened death stuff.  Definitely an intense band.

I come from Poland and they are from Poland, apparentely from the neigbouhring city;))) I own "DEMIGOD" and "ZUS sth...". I will also have in few days "Demonica" - rare stuff of theirs.
Drummer is fucking amazing in this band!

Azwethinkweiz

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 04, 2007, 10:51 PM
I also can't stand the fact that Tom is a devout Catholic but all of his lyrics are anti-religion.  Hypocrite. 

yeah, they'er just doing it for the bad-boy image.

in the documentary "metal: a headbanger's journey", tom is asked why they named their album "god hates us all".
his response: "well, god doesnt hate.. but its a great fucking title".

that's fucking lame.

4th Eye

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 04, 2007, 07:28 PM
I've already downloaded and listened to all of Hope, that's why I asked.  It's all over the internet and was the first album I could find.  I'll drop a link if you want, unless you're going to buy it.

Not a surprise it has already leaked. Maybe I'll buy it if I have money then...or just download it when I get the internet.

And I agree Slayer being formulaic but the formula they're using sounds good to me. And some songs are just legendary.

oldgentlovecraft

Well,  you're not the only one.  I guess they have a strong following for a reason.  I don't get Iron Maiden either, but they're another band that people worship.  Sabbath for life baby.  What's some good shit that people like to listen to but others may not have heard?  I'm always looking for new music.

Azwethinkweiz

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 05, 2007, 03:51 PM
I don't get Iron Maiden either, but they're another band that people worship.  Sabbath for life baby. 

agreed 100%.

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

I'm big into doom and stoner metal/rock.

Sunn0)))
Yob
Boris
Graves at Sea
Kyuss
Pelican
Bongzilla
Grand Magus
Sleep
Acid Bath
Eyehategod
Khanate
Brainoil
Middian
Grails
Electric Wizard
Baroness
Big Elf
Cult of Luna
Earthride

There's a fucking ton more. I'll work on the list a bit.

How can you "not get" Iron Maiden? They're quite simply one of the most talented and influential metal bands ever.

oldgentlovecraft

I give them credit for what they accomplished but I think it's his voice that gives me headaches.  It's all subjective anyway.  I do agree with the doom though, I've been getting alot into the different subgenres. 

4th Eye

Yeah, some bands are really overrated, but still good (Maiden, Slayah', Metallica, early thrash/death metal bands etc). But while they're probably not the most talented bands, they've made the most memorable riffs one will hear. And the songs are cornerstones for future bands for a long time.

Josh, if I remember your name correctly YFM, you should too check out Swallow The Sun. And Callisto. I just have to promote bands from my homeland cuz Finland is, along with Sweden (and Norway in black metal), the home of metal. ;D

I'll get another beer.............. ;D

oldgentlovecraft

I like Dark Funeral, but Attera Totus Sanctus just pushed them up to the top of my list.  That album is fucking brutal.

noll

Nailec

Josh, if I remember your name correctly YFM, you should too check out Swallow The Sun. And Callisto. I just have to promote bands from my homeland cuz Finland is, along with Sweden (and Norway in black metal), the home of metal. Grin

i feel so sorry for sweden these days that it counts as one of many homes of gay indiepop bands as mando diao. everyone promoting swedish music now has to stress he means swedish music with balls

Necrocetaceanbeastiality

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 06, 2007, 03:22 PM
I give them credit for what they accomplished but I think it's his voice that gives me headaches.  It's all subjective anyway.  I do agree with the doom though, I've been getting alot into the different subgenres.

Have you listened to any of their albums back when Paul Di'Anno was still the vacalist? Killers, Iron Maiden, two of their best albums musically. I'm not a big Di'Anno fan, but if you don't like Bruce's voice, check those two albums out.

Quote from: 4th Eye on Jan 07, 2007, 09:28 AMJosh, if I remember your name correctly YFM, you should too check out Swallow The Sun. And Callisto. I just have to promote bands from my homeland cuz Finland is, along with Sweden (and Norway in black metal), the home of metal. ;D

What type of music do they play?

And Josh is right :)

Quote from: noll on Jan 08, 2007, 05:54 PM
all you need is neurosis!

Fuck yeah.