Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Death/Black/"Extreme" Metal

Started by oldgentlovecraft, Jan 02, 2007, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sing blue silver

i picked up the new dimmu borgir album In Sorte Diaboli and although it's much more mainstream and they have abandoned their black metal roots, personally i love it. the vocals that I.C.S Vortex does are amazing and are the highest points of the album. Shagarath's vocals are good as ever and Hellhammer's drumming is relentless with blast beats and double bass faster than human legs can move. an improvement on death cult armageddon and although it's outside the popular view of the album to like it i will say i love it and am proud of it.

theis

wow, those vocals ruined absolutely everything about that song. that was awful :-/

oldgentlovecraft

Behemoth fucking rules!  Not an extreme metal fan eh?

yoda on mars

Quote from: theis on Jun 18, 2007, 12:18 AM
wow, those vocals ruined absolutely everything about that song. that was awful :-/

screw you

get back to pop thread

theis

there's a pop thread ?

but seriously, don't take it personal. i just thought the vocals were horrible.

oldgentlovecraft

4th Eye

Yeah, I tend to get into more heavy stuff lately. Five years ago I wouldn't have imagined I like black- or death metal or such. Though it's something I don't listen to all the time or I would go nuts.

oldgentlovecraft

I love black metal, could listen all day.  I had to work my way up as I was getting older.  Hell, I'll admit I started listening to Pantera, Korn, and Limp Bizkit back in the day.  Now my tastes are all over the place.

4th Eye

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jun 20, 2007, 05:11 PM
Hell, I'll admit I started listening to Pantera, Korn, and Limp Bizkit back in the day.  Now my tastes are all over the place.

Same here. I was into rock and metal in the early/mid-90's, then came a few year hiphop phase and late-90's I got back into metal with bands like Korn and Deftones. I still do listen to everything I've listened to before but my musical taste has expanded a lot. From classical to hiphop to trance to extreme metal...but of course I'm mainly a metalhead.

oldgentlovecraft

It's funny because not only do my tastes continue to expand (I find myself listening to more mellow or eccentric music like Japanese acid folk) as I get older but the extremes of the genres continue to increase as well.  I can go from Porcupine Tree or Boys Night Out to Xasthur and Agoraphobic Nosebleed in the same sitting.  I figured I would just keep mellowing out, but that's not the case.  I just keep adding on!

Juicy Fruit

Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2007, 10:42 AM
i wanna give juicy fruit a cat bath

if u dont get it, think about how cats bath

oldgentlovecraft

I love Nile.  As far as death metal goes its both brutal and has that dark, atmospheric vibe to it.  One of my favorite dm bands.  The new album is damn amazing too.

yoda on mars

4th Eye

So I'm back from the Scandinavian's biggest metal festival and I saw some good stuff. Immortal put up a great show and the corpse paints were worth seeing live. Children Of Bodom, Vader, WASP, Moonspell, Finntroll and Katatonia among others were good too though Before The Dawn was probably the best as always...I just fucking love that band. Shame that I missed ISIS due to excessive drinking.

I'll put some pics up some day...

yoda on mars

what do you guys think about gorgoroth?

besides their image there is also music which I must say is amazing. their latest album is just amazing.

oldgentlovecraft

Gorgoroth is an amazing band.  I own all of their albums. 

yoda on mars

oldgentlovecraft

I like the music most definitely but the vocals are a bit different and that's what sells me for them.  Sure its still the typical harsh sound of BM vocalists, but there a desperate, screechy quality that I love.