Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Death/Black/"Extreme" Metal

Started by oldgentlovecraft, Jan 02, 2007, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

1349 and Aborted best in the bunch, what's this for?  Not an actual lineup is it, the bands don't mesh too well.

Juicy Fruit

Yeah it's a real line-up for a one-day indoor festival in Leeds (that's in the UK).
Quote from: Fireal1222 on May 04, 2007, 10:42 AM
i wanna give juicy fruit a cat bath

if u dont get it, think about how cats bath

4th Eye

Amen and Raging Speedhorn are something I'd like to see and of course Kreator though I'm not too familiar with their stuff. I'd say go for it, I know I would.

Anyone heard the new Arch Enemy? Listened to it today and it sounded good but nothing really stood up.

Oldnewtype

Hey I bought Opeth's Ghost Reveries a few months ago and I fucking love it, what or some other Opeth albums I might like. I got Damnation and its great but I want to hear some more of their heavier music.

yoda on mars

Quote from: 4th Eye on Sep 25, 2007, 12:58 AM
Anyone heard the new Arch Enemy? Listened to it today and it sounded good but nothing really stood up.

upload?

4th Eye

Quote from: yoda on mars on Sep 28, 2007, 10:54 PM

upload?

http://rapidshare.com/files/56371657/ARCH_ENEMY_-_2007_-_Rise_Of_The_Tyrant.zip

Password: www.3warez.com

Not my upload.

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Sep 28, 2007, 10:51 PM
Hey I bought Opeth's Ghost Reveries a few months ago and I fucking love it, what or some other Opeth albums I might like. I got Damnation and its great but I want to hear some more of their heavier music.

Blackwater Park & Deliverance.

Other bands I'd recommend: Agalloch (album: The Mantle) & Swallow The Sun (Hope).

yoda on mars

Quote from: 4th Eye on Sep 29, 2007, 05:03 PM
Quote from: yoda on mars on Sep 28, 2007, 10:54 PM

upload?

http://rapidshare.com/files/56371657/ARCH_ENEMY_-_2007_-_Rise_Of_The_Tyrant.zip

Password: www.3warez.com

Not my upload.

well, thanks anyway sir :) I listened to their old stuff just yesterday. They've got some great songs. I used to listen to them like 4-5 years ago.

oldgentlovecraft

I could never get into the melodic death, it seems to me that a style of music meant to sound much darker and sinister shouldnt have that softer edge to it.  Makes it weak.  Arch Enemy have some good songs, but that's it.

4th Eye

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Sep 30, 2007, 03:41 PM
I could never get into the melodic death, it seems to me that a style of music meant to sound much darker and sinister shouldnt have that softer edge to it.  Makes it weak.  Arch Enemy have some good songs, but that's it.

I'm probably the opposite. The melody makes it more varied and interesting. I like me some brutal death metal every once in a while but I need some melody in there that I can actually listen to it more than an hour. Like in grindcore, I like when there's some slower parts in between.

oldgentlovecraft

I completely agree with variety, and in grind I'm the same.  A breakdown, some groove or anything for a contrast helps.  MD is just one of the subgenres I don't quite get.  I can listen to At the Gates or Children of Bodom, but even then I get bored easily.  To each their own though, metal's metal and I still try to find good aspects of it all.

Velvet Tongue

Quote from: Oldnewtype on Sep 28, 2007, 10:51 PM

Blackwater Park and Still Life are the most similar to Ghost Reveries, and they're also my two favorites. My Arms. Your Hearse is also incredible, and a must have. and then check out their first two for a more unpolished approach.

i second the rec for Swallow the Sun: Hope. top ten for 2007.

and i would say get Ashes Against the Grain instead of The Mantle.

also check out Dark Suns: Existence.

check out my music journal at www.o-discordia.blogspot.com

oldgentlovecraft

goldpony

has anyone heard about the new early man?
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

tarkil

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

theis

tarkil

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

oldgentlovecraft

4th Eye

Dimmu Borgir's "In Sorte Diaboli" might currently be my favorite album. Been listening to it a lot. Also, I've been lately digging viking/folk metal such as Amon Amarth, Turisas, Finntroll...last week it was death metal and before that I was really into power/speed metal. I wonder what phase is up next....r'n'b?

yoda on mars

Quote from: 4th Eye on Oct 19, 2007, 09:37 AM
Dimmu Borgir's "In Sorte Diaboli" might currently be my favorite album.

Is it? I might listen to it if I find it.

I'm into Gorgoroth a lot right now.

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: 4th Eye on Oct 19, 2007, 09:37 AM
Dimmu Borgir's "In Sorte Diaboli" might currently be my favorite album. Been listening to it a lot. Also, I've been lately digging viking/folk metal such as Amon Amarth, Turisas, Finntroll...last week it was death metal and before that I was really into power/speed metal. I wonder what phase is up next....r'n'b?

I do that all the time.  I've actually been digging Ulver pretty hard lately, the bm trilogy and all of their experimental stuff.