Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Death/Black/"Extreme" Metal

Started by oldgentlovecraft, Jan 02, 2007, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goldpony

Quote from: platp116 on Jan 16, 2008, 11:05 PM
Quote from: goldpony on Dec 19, 2007, 12:20 AM
is it sad that the best death metal album i heard this year was the dethklok album?

I don't really know what your definition of death metal equates to, but the Cephalic Carnage album from this past year is definitely a must-get for any big extreme metal fans.   I know a lot of people preferred anomalies a little more to this year's release, xenosapien; but this is definitely their most coherent album to date, and it is still extremely punishing.   I would definitely put this in my top 10 for 2007, and it is probably right up there with TDEP, Neurosis, and Pig Destroyer for my favorite metal albums of the year.

im a big fan of cephalic carnage too. i just thought that the dethklok album was really well done. its old school deathmetal feel really made it for me. it reminded me of early morbid angel and cannibal corpse records. really simple riffs and song structures that just pounded the shit out of you. i miss those days. now it seems everyone is trying to out technical everyone else.
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

platp116

Quote from: goldpony on Jan 16, 2008, 11:55 PM
is it sad that the best death metal album i heard this year was the dethklok album?

I don't really know what your definition of death metal equates to, but the Cephalic Carnage album from this past year is definitely a must-get for any big extreme metal fans.   I know a lot of people preferred anomalies a little more to this year's release, xenosapien; but this is definitely their most coherent album to date, and it is still extremely punishing.   I would definitely put this in my top 10 for 2007, and it is probably right up there with TDEP, Neurosis, and Pig Destroyer for my favorite metal albums of the year.

im a big fan of cephalic carnage too. i just thought that the dethklok album was really well done. its old school deathmetal feel really made it for me. it reminded me of early morbid angel and cannibal corpse records. really simple riffs and song structures that just pounded the shit out of you. i miss those days. now it seems everyone is trying to out technical everyone else.

Yeah I definitely agree the Dethlok album was really good, I just wasn't sure what you thought of as death metal or not (some people get touchy about genres and such).  I agree about your comment on how bands are trying to out-technical everyone else though, after a certain point it just sounds like a band is doing it just to be technical and sounds totally wanky and gimmicky, rather than actually trying to construct a song that they really want to make.  It does say something though when one of the better death metal releases is almost like not even really a band.

goldpony

thats what i was trying to convey. there is still good shit out there tho, i have hope ;D
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

alvarezbassist17

Quote from: platp116 on Jan 17, 2008, 03:45 AM
Quote from: goldpony on Jan 16, 2008, 11:55 PM

Yeah I definitely agree the Dethlok album was really good, I just wasn't sure what you thought of as death metal or not (some people get touchy about genres and such).  I agree about your comment on how bands are trying to out-technical everyone else though, after a certain point it just sounds like a band is doing it just to be technical and sounds totally wanky and gimmicky, rather than actually trying to construct a song that they really want to make.  It does say something though when one of the better death metal releases is almost like not even really a band.

i guess the real term for dethklok would be melodic death metal, it's definitely not straight death.  it is a really good cd though.  but i dunno, i think since the dude got a drummer and recorded a whole cd that i'd pretty much consider the project a real band, just not like a performing one.  i mean the motherfucker knows how to write some great fuckin songs/riffs.  he's like professionally trained, he went to berklee and shit.  not to mention he's hilarious.

goldpony

i definitely agree, it was like a cross between death and metal (but not deathmetal). a lot like scissorfight tho, just brutal with hooks
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Velvet Tongue

the new Nile was supposed to be really good too, but i never got around to it last year.

check out my music journal at www.o-discordia.blogspot.com

goldpony

Quote from: Velvet Tongue on Jan 17, 2008, 08:43 PM
the new Nile was supposed to be really good too, but i never got around to it last year.

same here
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

oldgentlovecraft

theis

could someone hook me up with some, heavy as fuck, music...with non-growling vocals. if that's even possible nowadays.

thanks to whoever. :)

Atomic

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Jan 23, 2008, 12:35 PM
could someone hook me up with some, heavy as fuck, music...with non-growling vocals. if that's even possible nowadays.

Heavy Heavy Low Low? System Of A Down? Silent Civilian? ???

i need sumthin new too...
My gag reflex is as absent as my Father~

theis

Quote from: Atomic on Jan 23, 2008, 02:54 PM

ROFL.

Those bands are far away from "heavy as fuck".

OLDGENTLOVECRAFT, I thought  you maybe could give me some suggestions?

Velvet Tongue

what you need is The Angelic Process and Nadja;)

*uploading*

theis

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Jan 23, 2008, 04:33 PM
Quote from: Atomic on Jan 23, 2008, 02:54 PM

ROFL.

Those bands are far away from "heavy as fuck".

OLDGENTLOVECRAFT, I thought  you maybe could give me some suggestions?

Sorry buddy, just saw this.  What kind of heavy are you looking for?  Don't mind the screaming just not the growling? 

theis

yeah, the really deep growling (cannibal corpse, morbid angel, etc) puts me off.

i don't mind screaming and raw vocals.

i just checked out Gojira and I really dug it.

Velvet Tongue

thought of another, which was my pick for "Best EP of 2007".

exactly what you're looking for.

[2007] The King of Everything

the other stuff is almost finished.

also, what are your thoughts on Meshuggah?

if you don't mind Gojira's vocals, you should have no qualms with Kidman's.

Meshuggah is one of the most face-meltingly-good bands out there.

EDIT: i see you already listen to Mesh.  8)

oldgentlovecraft

Gojira's pretty good!

Pig Destroyer (Terrifyer and Phantom Limb)
Ghengis Tron. it's like electronica and grind mixed
2 O'Clock Girlfriend (same as above)
Bucket Full of Teeth, nasty, spazzy screamo-grind

If you like black metal a band like 1349 would be good.
There are a ton of screamo bands out there that are pretty heavy if you go more to that side of the spectrum (such as Orchid, Shikari, The Avenging Disco Godfathers of Soul, I Wrote Haikus About Cannibalism in Your Yearbook, etc.) that border on grind

In terms of heaviness you could always go with some distorted, doomy stuff but just depends on what you mean by heavy as fuck.  Bands like SunnO))), Khanate, Burning Witch, some Electric Wizard, i.e. are good to crank up and to let the oppressive heavy downtuned distortion wash over you.  Not ones for speed or chaos though.

I'll give more suggestions if you want them.

theis

Thanks for the effort, both of you! I appreciate it.

Gonna check out all the stuff you post.

And yeah, I dig ObZen. Face Melting? That's a pretty good word for this album, haha.

(For the record, I haven't heard any of their other albums)

Oh and black metal and screamo is a big no-no...sorry :)

theis