Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Death/Black/"Extreme" Metal

Started by oldgentlovecraft, Jan 02, 2007, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Velvet Tongue

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Jan 23, 2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the effort, both of you! I appreciate it.

Gonna check out all the stuff you post.

And yeah, I dig ObZen. Face Melting? That's a pretty good word for this album, haha.

(For the record, I haven't heard any of their other albums)

absolutely.

obZen is a great entry point.

here's where i think their sound really got insane:

[1998] Chaosphere

(is missing Elastic)

will post more when i get them upped.

check out my music journal at www.o-discordia.blogspot.com

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: Velvet Tongue on Jan 23, 2008, 08:30 PM
Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Jan 23, 2008, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the effort, both of you! I appreciate it.

Gonna check out all the stuff you post.

And yeah, I dig ObZen. Face Melting? That's a pretty good word for this album, haha.

(For the record, I haven't heard any of their other albums)

absolutely.

obZen is a great entry point.

here's where i think their sound really got insane:

[1998] Chaosphere

will post more when i get them upped.

Hell yeah, Chaosphere is their best IMO!  And I figure Black Metal wouldn't be an option, it's sort of an acquired taste but if you ever turn to the dark side I'll hook you up lol.    Velvet Tongue is always good for some kickass music.

Velvet Tongue

*bows*

i do what i can.  ;)

Chaosphere kicks ass, no doubt. Destroy. Erase. Improve. is where they started moving towards the polyrhythmic/facemelting, but Chaosphere was where they really started kicking you in the face.

[2004] I

[2005] Catch Thirty-Three

[2006] Nothing (Re-Recorded w/ 8-String Guitars & Remastered)

also, Catch Thirty-Three is one long song divided up into tracks, so the best (read: only) way to listen to it is from start to finish, and as with all Meshuggah, at full volume. :)

oldgentlovecraft

Agreed!  Have all of their stuff even the older albums where they sounded like Metallica.  How's the rerecording of Nothing?  Haven't listened and the the only one I don't have.

Velvet Tongue

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 23, 2008, 10:31 PM
Agreed!  Have all of their stuff even the older albums where they sounded like Metallica.  How's the rerecording of Nothing?  Haven't listened and the the only one I don't have.

upon my first few listens i really couldn't tell a difference, but i've decided that as a whole it's definately heavier in the guitar area, but some poeple gripe that the drumming is not as prominent.

i'm not much of an audiophile, but i never listen to the original recording anymore.

oldgentlovecraft

I'll download it and give it a spin.  It's almost the same thing as most of the downloaders here constantly talking about sound quality or how bad a rip sucks because it isn't as polished as they wanted.  Fuck, coming from the metal world I've listened to things that were burned on CD-Rs in some guys garage that are amazing but sound like they were tossed into a blender.  To each their own I suppose.

Velvet Tongue

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 23, 2008, 10:38 PM
I'll download it and give it a spin.  It's almost the same thing as most of the downloaders here constantly talking about sound quality or how bad a rip sucks because it isn't as polished as they wanted.  Fuck, coming from the metal world I've listened to things that were burned on CD-Rs in some guys garage that are amazing but sound like they were tossed into a blender.  To each their own I suppose.

personally, and call me archaic, i don't want my mp3's to sound as good as my cd's.

i buy a shit load of them, and i like that the quality of them is better when i listen to them.

plus i don't think the improved quality of files over 160kbps is worth the extra space they take.

oldgentlovecraft

I agree with you on that, otherwise it would be pointless to buy cds anymore.  Sound quality isn't something I'm really worried about but there is a nice feeling when you buy that new cd with the fresh printed booklet and the clear sound coming from your speakers.  I do both and always will. 

Velvet Tongue

Quote from: oldgentlovecraft on Jan 23, 2008, 10:48 PM
I agree with you on that, otherwise it would be pointless to buy cds anymore.  Sound quality isn't something I'm really worried about but there is a nice feeling when you buy that new cd with the fresh printed booklet and the clear sound coming from your speakers.  I do both and always will. 

yeah i'm a collector, it's as simple as that.

one day i'm going to be that dad with the giant collection of awesome music that all the other kids wish they had.  :P

goldpony

hahahaha, the cool dad. awesome

not to intrude but i wanted to throw my 2 cents in about sound quality. a lot (not all) of producers now are compressing the files of songs so they sound louder. this is done so itcan be better heard on shitty computer speakers and to draw attention to the track (since its louder). what this does is force the nuances of the record to disappear since all the sounds are the same volume. most of the time when albums are remastered this is done. it also causes ear fatigue, since your ears dont have a chance to rest, even in quiet parts. i find it disheartening to say the least that many bands and producers are releasing an inferior sounding product. i posted an excellent article about in the music general discussion thread if you care to read it.
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on Jun 01, 2008, 12:58 AM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

theis

Hey Velvet, to be honest I'm not really digging the stuff you uploaded.

It's way too slow and "noisy".  I need something faster and more "groovy"...with heavy bass and drums.

I guess I'm looking for something more in the vein of Mastodon.

Btw, thanks for uploading those Meshuggah albums. I'll check them out.

goldpony

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Jan 23, 2008, 11:29 PM

It's way too slow and "noisy".  I need something faster and more "groovy"...with heavy bass and drums.

i know you wont like the vocals but Blood Duster - Str8 outta northcote is heavy and groovy. i recommend scissorfight too.
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Alvar

last.fm/user/z0z0bra
The streets have gone dark. They've been dark for days. We board up the house. Hide upstairs and wait!

Velvet Tongue

Quote from: Azwethinkweiz on Jan 23, 2008, 11:29 PM

you had said "clean" vocals, which i now understand to mean stuff like Mesh and Gojira.

so with that in mind, i'll look through my collection tomorrow and up some other stuff.

goldpony

anybody have

Blood Duster - Yeest

cant find it anywhere
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: goldpony on Jan 23, 2008, 11:11 PM
hahahaha, the cool dad. awesome

not to intrude but i wanted to throw my 2 cents in about sound quality. a lot (not all) of producers now are compressing the files of songs so they sound louder. this is done so itcan be better heard on shitty computer speakers and to draw attention to the track (since its louder). what this does is force the nuances of the record to disappear since all the sounds are the same volume. most of the time when albums are remastered this is done. it also causes ear fatigue, since your ears dont have a chance to rest, even in quiet parts. i find it disheartening to say the least that many bands and producers are releasing an inferior sounding product. i posted an excellent article about in the music general discussion thread if you care to read it.

Interesting, I'll check that out.

Velvet Tongue

this is for whoever asked for it, but also check this out Azwethinkweiz, this might be more of what you're looking for.

[2004] Time & Withering

[2006] The Ties That Blind

here's some other bands/albums i think will satisfy.

let me know if you have any of these:

Converge: Jane Doe
The Dillinger Escape Plan: Miss Machine*
The End: Elementary
Obsidian: Emerging
The Ocean: fluXion
The Ocean: Precambrian***
The Psyke Project: Apnea***
Rosetta: The Galillean Satellites (Combined)
Rosetta: Wake/Lift
Rwake: Voices of Omen***
Scarlet: Cult Classic
Spitfire: Self-Help**
Transmission0: Memory of a Dream
Year of No Light: Nord

*was Album of the Year for 2004
**was Album of the Year for 2006
***made my Top Ten Metal Albums of 2007

tarkil

Damn man, you rock...
I wish we were living in the same part of the world, and that we could have awesome cds listening parties (I'm quite a collector kind of guy myself too).

I have no metal friend over here, and have to discover stuff all by myself (thank god for this board though...)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

goldpony

Quote from: tarkil on Jan 24, 2008, 06:55 PM
Damn man, you rock...
I wish we were living in the same part of the world, and that we could have awesome cds listening parties (I'm quite a collector kind of guy myself too).

I have no metal friend over here, and have to discover stuff all by myself (thank god for this board though...)

you took the words outta my mouth. i agree 100 percent
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

tarkil

Except for the gay love / buttsex part where we both know I won't agree...    :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.