Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Death/Black/"Extreme" Metal

Started by oldgentlovecraft, Jan 02, 2007, 08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: Jacob on Feb 22, 2010, 11:27 PM
that was pretty good, Jani. I'll check out more of their stuff.

anyways, I'm still looking for some good doom/goth metal. I'm really into Katatonia at the moment, and Paradise Lost as well as Type O Negative are amongst my absolute favorite bands. I've asked in this thread for something similar before and these are the bands a couple of you guys suggested:

My Dying Bride
Draconian
November's Doom
Poisonblack
Sentenced
Before The Dawn
Amorphis
Swallow The Sun

I've checked out all of them and while there is some good stuff there, most of it suffers from the same thing I just don't like that much but which unfortunately goes with the genre I guess: everything tends to sound a bit too "epic" and theatrical. like I said, I know this is part of the whole gothic sound, but it can be done tastefully and it can be done... well, not so tastefully. and in most cases, I find it to be the latter. the main problem is often the vocals, which are either too demonic or too opera-ish. I'll keep looking and if you come up with more suggestions, please let me know.

I'm a fucking huge Katatonia fan (the new album was stellar) and I've been hard pressed to find anything that even remotely holds a candle to them. Most of the bands we've recommended are what Katatonia actually started as (Brave.Murder.Day for example) but I don't know of anything that doesn't have the death vocals included. What's really weird is the band Cold (alternative metal, I'll get shit for posting this) actually gives me the same vibe: dark and beautiful.

Jacob

hehe yeah, people hate Cold around here. I'm not one of them though. I fucking love the first album, it's so dark and gloomy, the songs are great and the production is just fantastic. the second album is really good too, even though they lost their initial charm. from then on it's been pretty much crap though, imo. but hey, you get what I mean at least - I'm looking for music that give off that same vibe, it doesn't necessarily have to be doom or gothic metal. maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places? btw, I don't mind death vocals, I just think a lot of bands overdo it. take Paradise Lost for example - I fucking love how the vocals sounded before he started singing. maybe I'm just nitpicking now, hehe.

and yes, the new Katatonia is fantastic. Forsaker and Onward Into Battle are among their best songs ever imo. hell, I'd even go as far as to say the whole album is my favorite so far.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

oldgentlovecraft

For me, these bands carry a similar vibe when I listen to them:

Candlemass (more "metal", headbanging, but the darker vibe is there)
My Dying Bride (the past few albums are more singing and a bit melancholy, Songs of Darkness, Words of Light is awesome)
Porcupine Tree (so intense and emotional imo)
Opeth (goes without saying, and the clean vox album is beautiful)
Onesidezero (try to find this band, trust me)
Iced Earth's The Dark Saga
Atooishinjuu (kind of industrial, kinda noise/drone, but fucking breathtaking)
Green Carnation (folky, hard rockish, doomy prog metal)
and I listen to tons of Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill composer)

Jacob

thanks again, you're really helpful. I will take a listen to all of that.
pray nightfall release me
then i could wander, wander to deep sleep

Slacker

talking about vildhjarta, i gotta get out this of my chest (not really about vildhjarta)

man anybody likes the new periphery, man that was the most hyped/expected album since at list 3 years, and the pre production last year was amazing (band with chris). but man...this new stuff...ok, long story short:

1. fuck the new vocalist, that guy cant growl at all. he sucks at it, yes he sings, but he still sucks live. again yes, he still has to tune in, but the intensity and overall performance that they had with chris in the last tours was something else, really.

2. what the hell happend with the production?, mansoor is a good producer, but im not sure he can handle the engineering that well, man the debut stuff sounds so programed, and synthetic it lacks so much freshness, something totally opposite to the 2008-2009 demos. i strongly think he fucked this one up big time.

3. yes, even with all those fucked up issues, the musicianship is all over the place on this one. to bad cause having a tight ass vocalist, and giving a nice production to this album, this had the potential to become a milestone record for a genre, and open up to the world with musical revolution.

what a waste, i dont know what summerian thinks of this. but if i where them, i would straighten things up.

the wierd thing is, that this record is gonna be a hit eitherway, but i wonder if is it just me who thinks this way?.

Slacker

i gotta say that to wait 2 years for just half hour of music is kinda lame

in any case, let the destruction begins

Veil_Of_Maya-Id-2010-pLAN9
(password: sound-load.com)

bright lights, big city

DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Slacker

i gotta say this one was pretty hyped too. but im not sure if it delivered...judge by yourself.
Solution_45-For_Aeons_Past-2010-COS

bright lights, big city

this band has now taken over my recent playlists and recent releases
http://www.myspace.com/periphery

http://www.mediafire.com/?ftnkhvwvyzl
technical/progressive metal similar to Meshuggah, Born of Osiris, Textures, etc
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

Slacker

i havent been able to listen to it, until now.

by the way the scene for The_Ocean-Heliocentric-2010-FNT, is out.

Slacker

Ihsahn-After-2010-BERC

this is quite epic...
boy does this guy know how to do the coolest metal record, and go beyond.
this is a must check

black coffee

oldgentlovecraft

Quote from: Slacker on Apr 15, 2010, 12:34 AM
Ihsahn-After-2010-BERC

this is quite epic...
boy does this guy know how to do the coolest metal record, and go beyond.
this is a must check

Of course, it's the guy from Emperor!  Have you listened to his other 2?

Slacker

Slacker

bright lights, big city

Quote from: Slacker on Apr 24, 2010, 05:15 AM
as far as pure, straight-up metallic bliss goes, i would find it difficult to argue that
DERP

Slacker

_Fireal_

Please check out this band.

http://teeph.bandcamp.com/album/teeph

It's scientifically proven that listening will make you head-bang through a plate-glass window.

Before killing yourself.

After skull-fucking a kitten.

It's like old school mastodon meets converge/botch in a swamp with gloriously warm tone.

And they're local and my friend is in it.
Quote from: Fireal1222 on Sep 03, 2009, 07:06 AM
your a much better fireal than i am

" 

bright lights, big city

DERP