Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

oh noez!!1

Started by lithium royalty, Jan 07, 2007, 01:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Variable

Variable

But ok, ill weigh in here just for fun

I think it is very inaccurate to say that US citizens "tend to be way less educated" I wont sit here and try to feed you some BS about how the education system in the US is the greatest in the world, because I sure as shit dont believe that.  But I also dont believe that we are at the bottom of the barrel either.  And I dont think that it has anything to do with with us not caring or seeing ourselves as superior either.

Look, the video that started this whole thread was mainly about current events with a little bit of geography in the mix.  That has very little to do with the actual education system.  Especially since the people they interviewed are obviously out of the education system ( IE working adults ) So blaming those stupid answers on American education is just wrong.

And sure Americans have a long standing tradition of having maybe a bit too much pride.  But I dont think that we are elites or dont care about anyone else.  I think you will actually find that most americans are bleeding hearted pussies.  But how can we possibly stay current on everything going on in the world?  Its all about relevance.  If an issue does not effect someones life directly then they are way less likely to know much about it.  So the only way they would get that info is from the news.  And well to be honest our new media isnt the best public educator.  They are more about drama than education. 

Simply put.  America has enough shit going on.  It is a very large country ( the continent you are from is just barely larger than the country I am from ) With a very diverse group of people from many different back grounds with many different agendas in life.  You cant possibly expect every person on the street to be current on every event going on in the world. 

devilinside

^5

*runs to go put on american flag shirt with huge eagle on the front*

;D ;D

goldpony

remember kids, its all about numbers. the more people in a given place, the more you might see stupid people. for someone to say that americans are way less educated, that person has to remember that there are 400 million+ people that live in the US. hence the number of idiots (plus the fact that everyone here seems to access to the internet) is more than other countries. personally, id say percentage wise, its probabaly same as any other country. geez tarkil, arent you an accountant? ;D you should know all about that :D
"I bet I could throw a football over those mountains"
"Be like Cyn"
Quote from: Variable on May 31, 2008, 09:58 PM
I fucking love Brad Pitt

Variable

Tarkil just doesn't realize that not everyone in the world can be as smart as him.

goldpony

"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

White Pwny

Quote from: Variable on Jul 07, 2008, 09:18 PM
Tarkil just doesn't realize that not everyone in the world can be as smart as him.
:D
hang a noose for my new sinner.... somewhere everyone can see it...

indychinoluv

I think its a grand thread to get started again.

Nothing to do with American bashing, but more to do with Education (or the lack of it).

Trey is right, I don't think Americans are dumb or uneducated. Its the system. I see so many kids who are labeled dumb or dyslexic because it is easier to put them in remedial class than it is to auctually spend some time and sort out why they're not learning.

The Education system needs a shake up (not USA, but everywhere). Teachers are a dieing breed. We're grossly underpaid and underresoursed (my budget last term for technology was $250.00)

Nailec

i guess in many countries there are way too much elements of capitalism in the education system.

some years ago we had our own academic graduations here in germany. called diploma and magister.
you have been pretty free in your studies. you could chose which seminar you wanna take and which not.

now there is this bachelor/master shit all over europe or somewhere which has the aim to make the students compareable.
it also comes along with predefined schedules just as in school. its really ill. all students have the same basic knowledge because they must be fully integrated in economy.

its the same thing with schools. kids arent free enough to make their own decisions. they all become synchronized in order to breed effective workes.

its just almost impossible for these education systems to have really smart kids.

indychinoluv

I couldn't agree more.

There is an old chinese proverb that I was taught many many moons ago:

Tell me, I'll forget
Show me, I'll remember
Involve me, I'll understand

That still rings true for me.

tarkil

Quote from: goldpony on Jul 07, 2008, 08:55 PM
remember kids, its all about numbers. the more people in a given place, the more you might see stupid people. for someone to say that americans are way less educated, that person has to remember that there are 400 million+ people that live in the US. hence the number of idiots (plus the fact that everyone here seems to access to the internet) is more than other countries. personally, id say percentage wise, its probabaly same as any other country. geez tarkil, arent you an accountant? ;D you should know all about that :D

True... But I actually talked about a proportion there, not an absolute number...
And I am no accountant by the way, I'd rather stab both of my knees with spoons than being an accountant actually... :)

In all seriousness, I'm sort of convinced of what I'm saying. That doesn't I will never change my opinion, but till I go there and see how it is first hand, from all I saw, from all I was told, and from the results of my thinkings, I'll still think that most of americans (I'm still talking in proportion here, mkay?) are "under cultivated / educated".
Sure Variable, no one can be aware of everything happening in the world, far from me to think this kind of things, but I'm pretty sure most of people tend to pay more attention / interest to what's happening in the world than you guys do (proportion...).
That could indeed be due to the fact that your country is bigger so you already have lots of stuff to figure out at home. Doesn't sound too stupid.
But I guess it's still mainly due to the fact that you guys are mostly not interested by everything happening around the world...

I'll take that example to prove my point :
Quote from: nonesuch on Jul 07, 2008, 01:07 PM
Its just because America is on top and is a target,   Jealousy is a stinky cologne

That's how I see most of you : proud of your country, thinking you are the best, and that everyone envy you and therefore wants to attack you.
Therefore centered on yourself, and not caring about the rest of the world because you see the "outside" mainly as a threat.

But actually it is not...

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

Variable

alright man.  Think about it like this

Say you are a professional sports player.  You play in the big league.  You of course will keep up with what is going on within your league.  But do you really think you are going to give a shit about whats going on in the minor leagues below you?  You will probably know a lot about the players and teams within your own league.  But does it really matter to you that some minor league rookie had to get knee surgery and is out for the season?  Probably not. 
However if you are in that minor league.  You will probably know everything about your league, but also keep up with what is going on in the major league.  You will of course know everything about your league as it applies to you.  But you will probably keep up with the major league in great detail as well.  That's just the way it works.
Maybe if you are a major league player who came from a minor league team you will keep track of your old team a little bit.  Or if you are a major league recruiter you will pay attention to the minor league to see who is the new up and coming so that you can use them to benefit your team.  But other than that the only people who give a shit about you are the people who dont live near a major league team, or who are too poor to buy major league tickets.  It sucks, but its a fact of life.

Is that to say that America is the big league and every other country is just a minor league wana be?  Well, perception is reality.  And there is a great tradition of pride in ones country within the US.  Believe it or not, many people still see the United States of America as the land of opportunity and are proud to be living within her borders.  And others are proud of what they think America could be and proud of their efforts and protest to mold the country into the symbol of freedom and opportunity they believe it should be ( see I threw a shout out to the liberals ) So if someone perceives that they are currently in the greatest nation in the world ( true or not ) then that is their reality and they will act accordingly.

You have to remember that in Europe you can hop on the highway and see SO many other countries.  Practically any other country besides those who are in the Americas.  In the US we can hop in our cars and see another state.  Unless we drive too far south where we find a country where everyone seems to be trying to get to our country.  Or too far north where we find a county that shares a very similar history and culture.  And although guys like you and I have been to a lot of places around the world.  Most people dont get those opportunities.  Exactly how high of a standard do you have for the average citizen of the United States?

goldpony

too high i say. and to say that americans arent interested in world events is ridiculous. most of our news programs, on every platform from print to online to tv, local to national, always include information about world events. true, there may not be stories about the price of olives in germany, but most major stories are covered well. for instance, after the earthquakes in china and the tsunami in burma, there was a week straight of coverage that usually led the news. ive had the privledge of going to europe once before and to be honest, there was very little information about anything but that particular country being reported. dont get me wrong, there are a lot of people who could care less what happens outside their front yard, but to say americans in general are less aware/educated just shows how ignorant you are. and as for being cultivated, the US has the some of the finest museums, stages, symphonies and universities in the world. we love us some arts :)

btw, your mom was on my cock last night :D
"Be like Cyn"
I fucking love Brad Pitt

shine down unshy

devilinside

Quote from: ImperfectCircle on Jul 08, 2008, 09:29 PM
ZING!!!

LOL!!!

Well said Josh. And lol @ we love us some arts.

Variable

That is actually a great way to describe a lot of American history and a lot of America today. 

Oldnewtype

IM A FUCKING MARTIAN

Variable

I wouldn't be surprised at all if you actually believe that.