Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Post Rock/ Ambient Thread

Started by justaphase, Mar 16, 2007, 07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wither-I

Quote from: lostpilot on Nov 16, 2010, 08:14 PM
has anyone heard Year of No Light? Jesus, this could easily become my favorite album of 2010. What an incredible band..

this album annihilates anything that feels within hearing distance.

"coming into the nearness of distance"

lostpilot

Nord is even more chaotic and agressive, but soooo lovable.
By the way, Intronaut are awesome. Valley of Smoke is a great record.

bright lights, big city

a big shit yeah to both Intronaut and YoNL. both will be on my best of 2010 list.
DERP

Quote from: rock_n_frost
Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

wither-I

Quote from: lostpilot on Nov 24, 2010, 08:58 PM
Nord is even more chaotic and agressive, but soooo lovable.
By the way, Intronaut are awesome. Valley of Smoke is a great record.

dude. did you ever listen to Pianos become the teeth? their album "old pride" is punishing. its like ambient thrash. absolutely love the lyrical output and the songs are just so real! not catchy, but for some reason they remind me of a faster, harder mewithoutyou. i guess because i draw so much raw emotion from listening to them

Starz

Laura - Mark The Day

New song from their forth-coming album to be released next year

http://www.mediafire.com/?436nq2ce01fas0i

bright lights, big city

Thanks man I really like it. You also mentioned that Jakob has a new one? Is it coming out soon, I hope?
DERP

Bright Lights !..Why the fuck are you so damn awesome? Cant you be a piece of shit sometimes?

lostpilot

Guys, I need your help.  A repost from another forum:

[spoiler]Amigos,

I am looking for some bands from a certain type of genre. I hope I can explain what I am looking for clearly. Okay, first of all, the definition "post-rock/post-metal" is not important here, but key elements are repetition, crescendos, instrumental (most probably, because I cannot really imagine efficient music in this genre with lots of vocals) and typical qualities of post-things. Point is, it can be heavy, it can be light - or in a perfect way it could be the mixture of both.

So what am I looking for has to have a strong folk-ish influence. But not folk in a DMST sense (we play acoustic instruments - we play folk), mostly in melodies and ESPECIALLY in rhythmic section. At moments it may be even a little haunting, atmospheric, ambient, there is no real boundary to this particular genre, I just really want to get that particular folk-y feeling (while listening to those sorts of music I can imagine forest souls dancing, fire, meditative state, dreams, consciousness experiments - but everything in a very personal, "human" way, yet at the same time magical, consuming and groovy in a spiritual sense.).

I hope you understand what I mean. Some examples, songs which produce the similar feeling, but I think I haven't yet found something just LIKE that:
[spoiler](some of the examples are like mega cliche post-rock  :doubt: )

British Sea Power - The South Soun / The Sunfish
Mogwai - Mogwai Fear Satan (especially the beginning and the part after first breakdown)
Sigur Ros - #8 (after the first part, mostly because of drumming)
Blueneck - Low (very very slight folkish feeling)
GY!BE - Gathering Storm
Isis - 20 Min / 40 Yrs
Isis - Threshold of Transformation.. or actually whole Wavering Radiant album
Oceansize - Women Who Love Men Who Love Drugs
Clint Mansell - some parts from The Fountain OST
Strike Him Centurion - AC130-2
The Appleseed Cast - songs from Low Level Owl CD 2; Steps and Numbers and View of a Burning City notably.
The Ascent of Everest - Return to Us / Dark, Dark My Light
This Will Destroy You - The Mighty Rio Grande
TOOL - Disposition / Reflection (very definite)
Om - At Giza / Pilgrimage / Bhima's Theme
some songs by Ufomammut
Year of No Light.[/spoiler]

I hope someone gets the idea. Yes, most of the noted songs could be considered "epic" - that is also a quality which I want in that kind of music, but that "folk" feeling is more important I guess.

Thank you for your time[/spoiler]

theis

Gave Year of No Light's newest album a try.

I wasn't too impressed with the first 3 songs. They were good, but they mostly sounded like typical "post-metal".

The fourth song, Abbesse, kicked my ass though. Especially the ending. Fantastic track.

How are their older albums?

And Darius, have you checked out Cult of Luna yet? I'm almost positive that you'll like it.

black coffee

The new album by Jakob should be released around Spring 2011... can't wait for this one.

lostpilot

Quote from: theis on Nov 28, 2010, 03:50 PM

I wasn't too impressed with the first 3 songs. They were good, but they mostly sounded like typical "post-metal".

The fourth song, Abbesse, kicked my ass though. Especially the ending. Fantastic track.

And Darius, have you checked out Cult of Luna yet? I'm almost positive that you'll like it.

I cannot get into Cult of Luna because of their mixing production.. (so far).
And oh, Year of No Light - Nord is brilliant. I LOVE the second track, so noisy. And the vocals are just immense. Check that stuff out! :)

theis

Quote from: lostpilot on Nov 28, 2010, 05:57 PM
Quote from: theis on Nov 28, 2010, 03:50 PM

I cannot get into Cult of Luna because of their mixing production.. (so far).

Not even Eternal Kingdom? I love the production on that album. Perfect winter album.

lostpilot

I will try more. Right now I have a massive line-up of new music I have to listen through.. :)

Jani

Quote from: Jani on Dec 15, 2009, 09:48 PM
Year of no light / Rosetta / East of the wall split (2009)
Link

Karysun / Year of No Light Split (2009)
Link

Year Of No Light - Disorder (Joy Division)   
Link

bright lights, big city

the Joy Division cover is one of my favorite covers of all time.
DERP

wither-I

lostpilot

Ours to Alibi is very very very very very nice

wither-I

yeah man i just found out about sky architects yesterday, and theyre good, but ours to alibi is so incredible, ive been listening to "beacons" nonstop for the last 3 months. their first album not as good, more direct indie, but some nice tunes.

if you dont have beacons, get it.

piece of music

lostpilot

I got The Kite EP,  cause it had the title song in it which caught my attention. Will get Beacons today :)

E-Money

lostpilot

Cult of Luna is astonishingly amazing.