Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

Cigarettes

Started by Saturday Night Whiskey777, Mar 26, 2007, 04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Variable

Quote from: bright lights, big city on Jan 07, 2011, 06:39 AM
Quote from: one weak on Jan 07, 2011, 05:27 AM
one a night isn't bad.

i used to smoke and chew for years until after college. i was addicted to the max. i thought i would never quit, or would have to ween myself off or something. then i just stopped and slogged through 3 miserable days and i was fine. i think back on how fucking silly it is and immediately felt better.
i tried chewing my freshman year in the dorms, mainly due to peer pressure since a bunch of us would sit and eat sunflower seeds and chew while playing Madden or NBA 2K. Anyway, I almost threw up, and then I realized I was basically chewing cancer. Good times.
I dipped for a while.  On and off (more on than off though ) for about 4 years.  It's very popular in the military.  I would usually quit due to a lack of interest once I was in the real world.  But if I was in the field or deployed or in a high stress school, I would always start up again.  I enjoyed it ( and my short smoking stint ) but quit due to good logic.  And looking back, its really stupid to use tobacco.  But I definitely enjoyed dipping while I did it.

Frequency_Chemist

I've been smoking on and off for 7 years. Everytime I stop I'm fine until a few months later when I suddenly keep having random dreams about not being able to have cigs. The first few days don't even really bother me like it does other people. Honestly...I  think I just need the will power.

davetonez

I've started to quit (again) today, hopefully I'll stick to it this time 'round. Smokes are too expensive in Australia.

I used to smoke Malboro Gold's (Light's in America), but I preferred rolling my own most the time. I was a fan of Port Royal.

Frequency_Chemist

Quote from: davetonez on Jan 11, 2011, 08:42 AM
I've started to quit (again) today, hopefully I'll stick to it this time 'round. Smokes are too expensive in Australia.

I used to smoke Malboro Gold's (Light's in America), but I preferred rolling my own most the time. I was a fan of Port Royal.

Good Luck

Variable

I think the key to quiting is to genuinely want to quit.  I have seen a lot of people who loved smoking, but said they wanted to quit for money or health or their first baby or whatever.  But they didn't REALLY want to quit; they just knew they should.  So eventually they all went back to smoking.  A lot of them wasted a lot of tax payers dollars with their free Chantix too. 
So somehow you just have to convince yourself that there is nothing good about smoking anymore and that you really really do want to quit.  I'm not saying you can't quit any other way.  I just think it's a lot easier to have the will power if you have the right approach mentally. 

black coffee

Agreed on the part with the right approach, but at least quitting for health reasons is a pretty good argument, other than quitting because it's too expensive.

Quote from: davetonez on Jan 11, 2011, 08:42 AM
What if you earn enough money so you can smoke a box each day? Would you do it then?
You could also cut down smoking to a few cigarettes every day ( and I'm not working for Philip Morris, but if money is the main reason for you to quit, it might not work out anyways )

lostpilot

I quit because of my health. I am still coughing up stuff, but it's a process of cleaning. I am very happy with me not smoking, cause:
a) my lungs feel better and I breathe more easily;
b) I stopped having stomach problems and aches;
c) I save lots of money;
d) I lost that horrible smell around me I used to have and my fingers do not smell like shit anymore;
e) I found more productive ways of filling the time-spaces that used to be smoking.

davetonez

Quote from: lostpilot on Jan 12, 2011, 12:38 PM
I quit because of my health. I am still coughing up stuff, but it's a process of cleaning. I am very happy with me not smoking, cause:
a) my lungs feel better and I breathe more easily;
b) I stopped having stomach problems and aches;
c) I save lots of money;
d) I lost that horrible smell around me I used to have and my fingers do not smell like shit anymore;
e) I found more productive ways of filling the time-spaces that used to be smoking.

Your lungs feel so much better after you've quit hey. I hate waking up and my lungs feeling heavy, I guess that's the best way to describe how I felt after a night out.

I'm also quitting because I'm taking up vocals again, and lets face it, cigarettes do affect your voice... Just look at Corey Taylor, he can barely scream anymore.

sing blue silver

just over one year of no cigarettes for me.

davetonez

Quote from: sing blue silver on Jan 13, 2011, 03:18 AM

Did you do it cold turkey?

Frequency_Chemist

Quote from: Variable on Jan 12, 2011, 08:16 AM
I think the key to quiting is to genuinely want to quit.  I have seen a lot of people who loved smoking, but said they wanted to quit for money or health or their first baby or whatever.  But they didn't REALLY want to quit; they just knew they should.  So eventually they all went back to smoking.  A lot of them wasted a lot of tax payers dollars with their free Chantix too. 
So somehow you just have to convince yourself that there is nothing good about smoking anymore and that you really really do want to quit.  I'm not saying you can't quit any other way.  I just think it's a lot easier to have the will power if you have the right approach mentally. 

I think your totally right, because honestly I do love smoking (which inturn makes me an idiot lol). You'd think after having several family members die of smoking related diseases that I would get the picture.

sing blue silver

Quote from: davetonez on Jan 13, 2011, 03:57 AM

yep. i was really sick for about a week and my throat hurt so bad that i couldn't smoke. about 3 days after not having any smokes i just kept it up and haven't had one since.

deftones86

Quote from: sing blue silver on Jan 13, 2011, 01:13 PM
Quote from: davetonez on Jan 13, 2011, 03:57 AM

yep. i was really sick for about a week and my throat hurt so bad that i couldn't smoke. about 3 days after not having any smokes i just kept it up and haven't had one since.

That happend to me but i smoked through it.  my daddy didnt raise no quitter.

blixa

i took up unfiltered camels again.

E-Money

I just can't seem to stop... I'm only smoking 4 or 5 a day but if i don't have one by lunch I'm miserable...

deftones86

Quote from: E-Money on Jan 26, 2011, 06:51 AM
I just can't seem to stop... I'm only smoking 4 or 5 a day but if i don't have one by lunch I'm miserable...

Well thats because your still giving your body nicotine doesnt matter if its 5 or 20 a day. your lungs will like you alot more if its 5 but, as long as your brain recives nicotine its wired for it.

deffertone

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ridiculous. Your dads a drug addict.

BillyNo.9

Role up's are the healthier option, with filter of course. Cutters choice all the way

Oldnewtype

Quote from: deffertone on Mar 31, 2011, 06:12 PM

[/quote]

Ridiculous. Your dads a drug addict.
[/quote]

really? thats your first post? come on you can do better than that.

Katamarans

I quit smoking 6 months ago. i haven't smoked a single cig since than. I was a smoker forwhat? like 5 years. first year or two it was 3-5 per day, but than i started to smoke more and it was around 10-13 per normal day. If it was a party.. you all know how it goes..

But now i'm clean, and i don't feel a need for a cig anymore. It was amazing when my sense of smell returned. It was fully mind blowing. i didn't know smokers smell so bad.  And now kissing a smoker girl..?! Fuck that. I actually tried to, but i just had to stop. It was just disgusting..
We Kill Our Artists By Scheme:
Work - Consume - Die
Work - Don't Care - Die