Sharing Lungs - Deftones Online Community

end of european tour 2007

Started by Longstem, Apr 23, 2007, 09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longstem

Hi guys,

Wow... finally i find the time to write something on the forum.
Between the deftones concerts etc ive been working my ass of last weeks.
Im back from a business trip and sitting here alone at home, time for a recap.

And... i must say the great memories come back from last deftones concerts. Man.. i still enjoy every sec. of it.

So a little review from me :

1. Paris , Olympia 22/03

Paris is always magical in my eyes. I often visit the city, but that day was special. After visiting most of the famous statues and shit I began my deftones ritual. That always begins with fastfood, so i went to mc donalds on the champs elysee.
The last time I saw deftones was octobre, not so long time ago but I needed it badly. Lucky enough the show wasnt postponed like the evenings before.
Just before entering the venue my girfriend got a call that she was hired for a new job, so fucking unbelievalbe moment too. :)
Met some of my french friends (also some guys from the french forum) and started drinking beer.  Althought it was really expensive I got pretty drunk and headbanged the whole will haven set.
Deftones came up and played regular setlist. Chino"s voice was OK, but not great. I had a good time and moshed the whole set. I dont remember a lot, cuz of the beer.
After the show I got kicked out of a bar while I was drunk and accidently got into problems with some security guards.
Paris was great... magical feeling... but expensive beer and bad hotel :)

2. Cologne/Koƫln, E-Werk. 24/03

My brother joined me on this show and we arrived around 15h at the venue.  E-werk is a nice industrial kinda venue where i saw deftones in octobre on a free show. It felt great to be back :)
We met stef, had a little chat and went to burger king. (same ritual every time). With a big dubble whopper we went back to the venue and met Dawg, Fred and some other friendly guys. We were offered some wodka redbull and the gates to heaven opened.
Good german beer made the evening completly and i was cool to be surrounded by other deftones fans. We had a great evening and even before will haven began it already was a great evening man.
I met a lot of new people and talked with a lot who were there in octobre too. It was nice to meet everybody again.
Deftones rocked that night. Setlist nothing special except for cherry waves and kimdracula instead of hole in the earth and xerces. Deftones were in much better shape than Paris and chino even talked to the crowd. The mosh was excellent except for some english people who were rocking out a bit too hard :)
After the venue we met juan and went back to the hotel, before we ate another double whopper from burger king. I love that shit :)

3. Tilburg; 013 25/03

Same setlist as in Paris. I chilled out that evening because I was tired and didnt like moshing out that night. Excellent sound that night, congrats to the soundengineer.

013 is a great venue with a lot of bars :)... yes again we got a bit drunk ;).
I met Tuck outside and saw him freaking out on Will Haven. THAT my friends,is a fan!
Besides him I met some other friends from Holland, thanks for the beers.
This concert was the first time i saw deftones without moshing. Weird experience :) but cool.

Oh yeah one litte surreal thing happened... When we got out of our car in the city the first person we met was chino. He was just walking all alone in the streets of tilburg. :)
My brother thought I was joking but it was real. Who surreal is that? We just sais hi and let him chill.
Stef was with Juan and Linus checking out the local coffeeshop.

LIfe on the road is hard, I was tired like hell from last days... and regular life restarted the day after.

4. Amsterdam, Paradiso 09/04

It was almost ten years back that deftones played this venue, so kinda historical. :)
I love the venues interior; man it looked like a church to me. Althought it is very famous the venue was, compared to other deftones gigs, rather small. The only rip off thing is the membership you need to buy, I still wonder why?? They serve Heineken ... you drink liters of it and still dont get drunk and it smells like piss :)

Setlist was like usual, just a little mixed up. They played change pretty early, I didnt like that too much. What more can i say? I repeat myself but deftones AGAIN prooved to be the best in its kind. I enjoyed it and a really nice crowd. My brother especially loved Hexagram (they didnt played it very often this tour 07). His favourit... it was ment to be man.
Amsterdam was the shit, nice people, nice atmosphere. We went shopping during the day and ate... yes another big hamburger but this time in the Comedy Bar near Paradisio.
Oh man.. good memories.

5. Brussels, Hallen van Schaarbeek

The last gig on European mainland. Mixed feelings about this one because it could be the very last one ever. It was in my homecity so it was kinda symbolic to me since it was ten years ago i saw deftones here in a very small venue when around the fur came out.

They opened with BQAD. Headup (with will haven on stage, it was their last night with the tones) and Birthmark were special, there was even a circle pit lol.
I had tears in my eyes guys, this was a goodbye, and im not afraid to tell it. Fuck it... it ment a lot to me. I hated the ending.. 7words... i knew it was over :s

It was my 14th time and probably the last time so all the good memories came up. The people Ive met, the cities ive seen and the beer i drunk in all those years. No other band can give me that, an experience I wont be able to do ever again.

Deftones 14 times, 5 countries, 3 capitals. All indoor one festival gig.
Ive met people from holland, germany, uk, spain, french, colombia, aruba and some of them became good friends.
I went by car, train , subway in little, old and big arenas.

Mostly hapy moments, other drunk moments and always enjoyed a band that i sincerly call my favourit of all time. (after ten yers it is pretty obvious no? :)

greetings....
and now I fade away with digital bath on the background...

tarkil

I feel you man... I traveled a lot to see them too, and I really get your feeling...

It's not the las time though, it never is... :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

dawg

damn it was so good!
I wish I could see them as many times as you did tom!
still thankful to have met you again!
was a great time
looking forward to see you and the other boys again in cologne or somewhere else!

law

Great thread, props man.

I'm very jealous with regard to WH, we got some crap ass supports instead!

Some good memories there though, and there'll be more to come I'm sure of it :)

aj

it's a shame we didn't meet in Cologne! I was at the front of the line with some random germans i met.

\m/

Martin

Good to hear you had fun man, and that you were able to do the roadtrip and see them a bunch of times. From experience, that shit's cool!

But, I'd say, like Tarkil; it's never over 8)

deftoneskoen

Real cool, I wish I get the chance some day to do the same as you did this deftones tour.
BTW everyone is right about the piss beer in paradiso!

dawg

anyone interested in a video bootleg of the cologne show?

not the best quality and not the full setlist (1-2 songs missing)

I can upload a song so you can see the quality! which song you guys want? kimdracula? :)

tarkil

kimdracula would be nice indeed... :)

If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off my face.

dawg

Quote from: tarkil on Apr 29, 2007, 04:39 PM
kimdracula would be nice indeed... :)

I will upload it now...I found a few videos of my bootleg on youtube check it out

[youtube=425,350]LWZ-0vcN_jo[/youtube]

edit:
here is kimdracula
http://rapidshare.com/files/28552691/16Kimdracula.MOV.html

aj

you can just about see me in that vid! front row and in the middle

Subliminal

I got to hear Rapture soundchecked twice this tour  ;D

dawg

Quote from: aj on Apr 29, 2007, 09:31 PM
you can just about see me in that vid! front row and in the middle

I'm also in the vid at the bottom on the right with fred!

Longstem

Hi guys,

When I wrote this topic (see above) It really felt as a goodbye to me.
But with the fortcoming album and probably some European tour in forsight I feel as a lucky son of a bitch :)

Are here still some fans Ive met during these shows?? 

Since Ive conquerd my fear of flying Im even planning to see a deftones show in US :) .. who knows

grtz
Tom